-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 AM
tammyclark1 tammyclark1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95 Jimmy-Service Engine Soon light

First off, I know very little about cars. I bought this Blazer about a week ago. Yesterday I was driving to work and the 'Service Engine Soon' light came on. I went on to work, but before I left going home, I checked and the oil was a little low. I went about a mile to the store, got oil and put in. So I thought everything was fine. The motor sounds fine, Blazer starts fine--no pings, everything is working okay, etc. The light is still on. Someone told me that some GMCs have an automatic sensor that will come on when it is time to get the oil changed. Could this be what this means? If so, how can I reset the light? I know that in some cars pulling the battery cable will sometimes work. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Slow_n_ez Slow_n_ez is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 Jimmy-Service Engine Soon light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyclark1
how can I reset the light? I know that in some cars pulling the battery cable will sometimes work. Thanks for any help!
Yes , generally that will work ... if not then go to a garage ( not a dealer ) someplace and ask the mechanic to reset it for you which involves him ( or her ) plugging in a tool in the electronics usually near the dash ... takes about 10 seconds .... most will not charge you to do it .. I had a tauras that did same thing ... nobody could find anything wrong wth it , even the ford dealership mechanics .... after getting rid of the car I learned that the problem was most likely a sensor in the exhaust system someplace..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 AM
blazes9395's Avatar
blazes9395 blazes9395 is offline
Newbie mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 95 Jimmy-Service Engine Soon light

The SES light is on because there is something wrong within the electroninc powertrain control system of the vehicle. A '95 does not have an oil condition sensor, or anything like that. If you have a code reader scan it and see what code you get. Also it should be noted, that '95 has two different computer systems used as that was a changeover year. It was either a OBD 1 system, or a OBD 1.5, and both systems require different modes of scanning.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-20-2006, 09:01 AM
tammyclark1 tammyclark1 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 Jimmy-Service Engine Soon light

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts