-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Mike75 Mike75 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 376
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
engine upgrade concerns

okay, i have the 3.8 with a blown (but temporarily sealed) head gasket - big surprize, eh?

Anyhow, I obviously want to get rid of my 3.8 and go with a V8. From what I've read in these forums over the past couple of years, I think I'm going with the 4.6L.

I'm now wondering what to upgrade first, since I don't think I'll have the cash to do them all at once. I mainly need to know which combination will work, while still allowing me to drive my car as often as possible.

I also need to get new shocks/struts asap, so:

1. would it be bad to put the 4.6L shocks/struts on a car with a 3.8L in it? I just don't want to have to put new shocks/struts for a 3.8 on, then have to turn around and do it again when I swap engines in the near future.

2. Is there a dual exhaust that will work for both a 3.8L and a 4.6L so I can add this first?

3. Will my current tranny work with a 4.6L? (probably a dumb question - but I had to ask!)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2005, 01:24 AM
overl0rd overl0rd is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: engine upgrade concerns

Check out my post in the "motor swap" thread twards the middle of the page.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Mike75 Mike75 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 376
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: engine upgrade concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by overl0rd
Check out my post in the "motor swap" thread twards the middle of the page.
Actually, I did see that thread before - I was just trying to get out of buying 3.8L shocks/struts if I'll have to replace them in the near future with the 4.6L ones. Oh well, I'm driving from Augusta, Ga to Los Angeles tomorrow, and I really need the new shocks/struts - so I guess I'll just buy the 3.8L ones for now. I also saw the advice to just buy a 4.6L Bird instead, but I'm too attached to my Bird to do that (too much blood, sweat and tears in it - literally).

Anyhow, thanks for the response!

Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts