|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
| F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750. |
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
98 F150 occasionally won't start
My '98 F150 ocassionally wont start. This has happened 2 times in the last 3 weeks. I will drive somewhere stop the truck and come back out in 30 min or so. When I turn the key the only thing I hear is the fuel pump turn on and off when fuel pressure has been reached.
The first time I waited 6 hours and it started right up. The second time I waited 4 hours and again it started right up. Anyone ever experience this behavior? |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Are a bunch of electrical type issues showing up when it doesn't start? My roomate's truck did the same thing and almost left us standed in BFE Kansas. I noticed some gauge issues and light issues when the problem occured, took it to work the following Monday and slapped a GEM module in it and haven't had a problem since. The tech hotline said a GEM module would not cause that concern but it fixed it anyhow. Good luck with it.
|
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
Quote:
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
98 F150 occasionally won't start
Won't crank all electrical looks good. As if solenoid not getting power.
When I turn the key the only thing I hear is the fuel pump starting and shutting off once fuel pressure is reached. No solenoid click,nothing. Everytime this has happened I am away from home without my tools and multimeter. If I wait 3 hours it cranks fine and then OK for 3 weeks or so |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
Clutch switch or neutral safety switch. Try neutral and wiggle the shifter.
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
The 2 no crank no starts that happened to my 98 were both at the starter. The end of the battery cable had broken off. The next time the exposed wires going from the solenoid to the starter had just disintegrated.
|
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
Quote:
|
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
Utomatic. Won't crank in park or neutral. Where is the fender mounted relay? Right or left side?
|
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
Automatic that is.
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
Should be on the firewall. Just follw the positive battery cable. When this happens you need to check for power at the starter with either a voltmeter or a simple 12 volt test light. If you have power it is the starter. If not follow the wire back till you find power and the problem.
|
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
won't start
I just got a 1999 f350 and this happened to me. It would start then if I turned it off and then tried to start it again nothing would happen. I thought it was a problem with the alarm because the alarm light would flash. So I opened the hood and found a wire being held by a screw in the back of the engine compartment on the driver side and it was loose so I tightened it and have never had the poblem again.
|
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
Happened again. No power to starter relay so it will not energize. My guess is there might be a problem with the starter interupt relay. Where can I find this relay? Also where is the RAP located?
I can get the truck started by jumping battery 12v to starter relay thus energizing relay and providing voltage to starter. |
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
verify where you have power to. and find out if any circuits with "hot in START " only circuit s are also affected. could be a starter switch problem. you may have to trace that circuit to see it is sending to starter relay circuit.
|
|
#14
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
This only happens once in a while looks like every three weeks or so. Hard to trouble shoot day to day. I do need to know where the RAP module is located. I think I know where the starter Interupt relay is. Assume to be under dash Relay #4.
|
|
#15
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Re: 98 F150 occasionally won't start
Quote:
Didnt mean to write a book here, but i guess you could on this particular problem. Hope some of this helps, good luck Later Ed |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|