-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-07-2005, 11:07 AM
david-b's Avatar
david-b david-b is offline
Dave is THAT guy
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,868
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Question SAFC Controller Questions

Hey all,

My friend works at a shop thats got a dyno and they're willing to tune my car for $40. Full test and tune. They said I need to get a SAFC controller tho. I've been thinking of getting one anyways. They were saying that a stock 300zx came in with the controller and they got it up 33hp. Obviously I wont get that much. Should I invest in one of these? Also, does the unit have to saty in the car? Can I tune it with someone elses unit, then take it out? Does it reprogram the ECU or does it keep the remapping in the SAFC controller? Thanks.

Oh, how's installation on those things?
__________________
2013 Chevy Sonic 1LZ
Daily Driver, 1.4L Turbo, 6spd

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2005, 12:00 PM
scottsee scottsee is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,677
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to scottsee
Re: SAFC Controller Questions

I beleve that max flame speed in the combustion chamber is at 11.1:1, our stock AFTR is around 9.5:1. There is power to be made by tuning our stock air/fuel trims with an SAFC2.

It's not bad to install. i havn't done it myself, there are abundent resources available for the public between dsmtuner, rre, & dsmtalks archives. all you need it a wire diagram from the ecu, and some patients.

I say go for it, the more you do, the more you'll learn.
__________________
DSM geek
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:25 PM
ted_ex's Avatar
ted_ex ted_ex is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: SAFC Controller Questions

It's a pretty easy install with a lot of support on the web. It has to stay in the car because it doesn't actually reprogram anything. It just modifys the airflow signal to the computer to "trick" the computer into adjusting the AF ratio.
tedX
__________________
I'm>everything
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:37 PM
gstclips gstclips is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gstclips
If you plan on upgrading the fuel system and the turbo in the future it is definetly a good idea to pick one up. You cant do it without an AF controller (AFC, dsmlink.....)
__________________
THE OFFICIAL AF PIMP! - love EclipseRST[Banned]

1997 Gs-t Eclipse
6 bolt + other toys
Currently 295whp
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2005, 06:00 PM
david-b's Avatar
david-b david-b is offline
Dave is THAT guy
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,868
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Re: SAFC Controller Questions

Thanks.

I want DSM link, but I cant afford it if I tried. Too much. Im thinking I should get it. I need the most from my N/T!
__________________
2013 Chevy Sonic 1LZ
Daily Driver, 1.4L Turbo, 6spd

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts