-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-05-2005, 07:44 PM
tsi4444 tsi4444 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
o2 housing porting

Well i recently ordered an evo 3 16g from sbr. They ported the exhaust inlet and wastegate for me. My question is that i have read some other threads that recommend porting the o2 housing also to prevent creep. I dont want to do the porting myself and was wondering if u guys think this would be neccessary and if anyone was running a 16g with an unported o2 housing and if it worked well for them. Thanks in advance
__________________
97 TSI AWD

Apexi N1
RRE Downpipe w/test pipe, K&N FIPK, RRE lightened flywheel, ACT 2600, New short block installed due to crankwalk,autometer sport comp boost gauge,type-s bov, brode uicp, Johnny race car fmic with custom piping, evo 3 16g

Soon to be purchased: DSM link, injectors, fuel pump
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-05-2005, 09:59 PM
gthompson97's Avatar
gthompson97 gthompson97 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,625
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97
Re: o2 housing porting

personally, I would port the O2 housing. if you don't want to do it yourself, you could buy one, but porting the 02 housing really isn't that hard.
__________________
95 Talon TSI AWD

97 Eclipse GST

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2005, 10:14 PM
guitarXgeek's Avatar
guitarXgeek guitarXgeek is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to guitarXgeek
Re: o2 housing porting

I would definitely port the o2 housing. A good o2 housing port job will do wonders for flow at higher boost/airflow levels and provide better boost control at lower boost levels.

Honestly, after spending MANY hours porting my exhaust manifold, 14b hotside, and o2 housing back when I had my 14b setup, I can say that the o2 housing was the absolute easiest thing to port out of the setup. www.vfaq.com has an awesome guide to porting everything, including o2 housings, that is VERY helpful and will guide you through the whole process. Porting exhaust parts is extremely simple and I ported all of my stuff by myself with no prior experience to working with ANY type of grinding like that. If I can do it, you can definitely do it All you need is a die grinder and a carbide grinding bit, both of which can be had off ebay for less than ~$30 together.

Even if you don't think you can do it, I really suggest at least looking into it some because its so incredibly easy and relatively cheap to do. All it requires is your time, which the o2 housing does not require as much of as porting the other parts of your exhaust. The only reason I can see for you having someone else port your o2 housing is if you have the money to burn on it and not enough time to do it yourself.
__________________

95 GSX
DSMlink, "50 Trim", and track times coming VERY SOON!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2005, 01:00 AM
tsi4444 tsi4444 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well thanks alot guys for the quick responses. I guess i will try the porting of my o2 housing myself. I have all the neccessary equipment also. By the way did u guys have to trim your gaskets after u ported the o2 housing.
__________________
97 TSI AWD

Apexi N1
RRE Downpipe w/test pipe, K&N FIPK, RRE lightened flywheel, ACT 2600, New short block installed due to crankwalk,autometer sport comp boost gauge,type-s bov, brode uicp, Johnny race car fmic with custom piping, evo 3 16g

Soon to be purchased: DSM link, injectors, fuel pump
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2005, 07:06 AM
kjewer1 kjewer1 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: o2 housing porting

In order to get boost under control with my 14b I had to seriously rework the WG exit area in the turbine housing. This work required modifying the gasket as well. I then used that as the template to port the O2 housing. The only porting I did to the O2 was gasket matching on the inlet as just mentioned, taking the divider back slightly to get away from the O2 sensor, and slight bell porting at the outlet to match up to my DP better. I still feel that at these airflow levels it does little for power. But it did wonders for boost creep. Knocked it down from 22 psi to 15 or less. There is some info on my site too. I may have just covered most of it anyway though.
__________________
Kevin Jewer
RWD Talon - 7.92 at 180
Mightymax - 10.7 at 125
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts