-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 AM
kaje71 kaje71 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'92 SC - Oil in intake tubes? (& blown head gasket)

I'm just starting a project to replace the head gaskets in a '92 SC. Oil is all milky, car runs rough, and it looks like the gasket's leaking on the #6 hole. I'm doing this for a friend that has both no money and apparantly no mechanical ability. What did I get my self into? LOL!

Question is...I pulled the intake tubes & intercooler off and found oil. There was a small amount in the upper tube and intake, and a small puddle of it in the bottom of the lower tube. Does anyone know what would cause this? Is there a gasket out in the supercharger somewhere that would allow oil into the tubes? Is this something that normally happens when a head gasket blows in one of these (I'm sure I'm not that lucky!). If not, I would think this is possibly what caused the head gasget to go due to sucking "oily air" into the cylinder causing detonation.

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2005, 02:52 PM
forcfed93's Avatar
forcfed93 forcfed93 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: '92 SC - Oil in intake tubes? (& blown head gasket)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaje71
I'm just starting a project to replace the head gaskets in a '92 SC. Oil is all milky, car runs rough, and it looks like the gasket's leaking on the #6 hole. I'm doing this for a friend that has both no money and apparantly no mechanical ability. What did I get my self into? LOL!

Question is...I pulled the intake tubes & intercooler off and found oil. There was a small amount in the upper tube and intake, and a small puddle of it in the bottom of the lower tube. Does anyone know what would cause this? Is there a gasket out in the supercharger somewhere that would allow oil into the tubes? Is this something that normally happens when a head gasket blows in one of these (I'm sure I'm not that lucky!). If not, I would think this is possibly what caused the head gasget to go due to sucking "oily air" into the cylinder causing detonation.

thanks in advance!
The problem (blown H/G's) has NOTHING to do with the small amount of oil found in the IC tubes. That small amount of oil is common and as long as you didn't find more than a tablespoon or two in each of the tubes you are just fine. This amount is normal and is caused by "blow-by" from the SC being under pressure during boost conditions.

Be sure to check the oil level in the SC, they are usually never (or seldom) checked ........ and are often LOW on SC Oil.
__________________
Michael Albee - Prez
Super Coupe Club of IOWA
http://www.sccoia.org

1990 XR7 Auto
1991 SC Auto
1993 SC Auto
1993 Mark VIII (a.k.a. "The Winter Beater")
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2005, 08:26 AM
kaje71 kaje71 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! That makes me feel better about replacing the head gaskets. I was fearful that something else may have been going on.

Also, thanks for the "heads up" on the SC oil level. I'll make sure and check it when I bolt it back on.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2005, 11:08 AM
forcfed93's Avatar
forcfed93 forcfed93 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: '92 SC - Oil in intake tubes? (& blown head gasket)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaje71
Thanks! That makes me feel better about replacing the head gaskets. I was fearful that something else may have been going on.

Also, thanks for the "heads up" on the SC oil level. I'll make sure and check it when I bolt it back on.
No problem, glad to help .........

If the SC needs oil, be sure to use the correct oil. Regular oil WILL NOT work in the SC. I use either Ford SC oil or GM's SC oil. The GM stuff is about half the cost and it's the same oil. It comes in 4oz bottles and ifthe SC is completly empty it will take 7.5 oz to fill. The GM Part number is 12345982 as should be available at any GM parts counter!

If you have any questions during the job, feel free to contact me through this BBS post or buy using the contact form on the SCCoIA website.
__________________
Michael Albee - Prez
Super Coupe Club of IOWA
http://www.sccoia.org

1990 XR7 Auto
1991 SC Auto
1993 SC Auto
1993 Mark VIII (a.k.a. "The Winter Beater")
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts