-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-20-2005, 04:27 PM
gfenisey gfenisey is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Water in Airtake

My check engine light came on and I checked the air filter. It was soaking wet and the bottom of the air intake below the filter had a puddle of water in it. Did Ford put some drain holes in there or what?
I am stumped as how that much water got in there. And where's the connector for the code reader so I can turn off that engine check light?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Mike75 Mike75 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 376
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you (or somebody else) ever remove the air silencer? If so, that might be the way that all of the water got in there. I removed mine, but have not had any problems with water getting up into there - and I live in Los Angeles where we have been having some SERIOUS monsoons this winter.

As for the connector, I think it's up in the very top left of your engine compartment, just in front of the passenger side dash and the heater core.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2005, 11:18 PM
solaris=amazing's Avatar
solaris=amazing solaris=amazing is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,331
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no drain holes..

you probably hit a big puddle, and water came thru the bumper/light area.. or snow..
__________________
"And Death Shall Have No Dominion"

Dead men naked, they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone
They shall have stars at elbow and foot
Though they go mad, they shall be sane
Though they sink through the sea
They shall rise again
Though lovers be lost love shall not
And death shall have no dominion.....
....Dylan Thomas....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2005, 02:53 PM
likhootch likhootch is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Water in Airtake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike75
Did you (or somebody else) ever remove the air silencer? If so, that might be the way that all of the water got in there. I removed mine, but have not had any problems with water getting up into there - and I live in Los Angeles where we have been having some SERIOUS monsoons this winter.

As for the connector, I think it's up in the very top left of your engine compartment, just in front of the passenger side dash and the heater core.
has the radiator fluid dropped, was it just pure water? The check engine light probably came on for more than just the water, does it still come on?
__________________
Likhootch
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Haverjake Haverjake is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Water in Airtake

I had the exact same problem with my 96 T-Bird a few months ago.

The air inlet that is before the air cleaner box goes down and then comes back up, kind of like a plumbing trap under a sink. At the very bottom of the trap is a rubber one way valve that is supposed to drain the water out of the air inlet. When it gets stiff, the water doesn't drain and can really screw things up. I reached up and pulled the valve out and left it out, a decent amount of water came out.

The check engine light is on due to your mass air flow sensor getting wet. I had to replace mine to get the car to run right again, hopefully yours isn't too far gone.

There are also 2 TSBs on this subject as well.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts