-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Dallas_38 Dallas_38 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 1991 Taurus Wiper wierdness

I just purchased a 91 Taurus (it was a good deal 47K, original owner a little old lady who drove it to the beauty shop, grocery store, church, and the auto repair shop for regular servicing). The only problem is that the wipers will not shut off when the pump switch on the combination switch has been pressed. I replaced the combination switch and that remedied the problem for a whole day.

I have researched this a bit and it is most likely the Wiper Control Module (although it seems more like a bad relay to me). Can someone confirm this before I front $80 for a non-returnable dealer part?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2005, 06:34 PM
fubard's Avatar
fubard fubard is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Considering it's a 1991 I'd give the taurus boneyard a try ( auto wreckers) I had a 1990 tearazz and whenever possible I replaced with used parts.Obviously, I'd never use used brake parts but electrical parts are fair game; switches & relays..etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Dallas_38 Dallas_38 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1991 Taurus Wiper wierdness

Thats an idea, however I am loathe to put in someone elses electrical problems. I also hate throwing money at a problem (being the cheap SOB that I am and having already tossed $50 for the switch at it). Hopefully someone else has had this problem and can come up with a solution.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2005, 06:44 AM
sfontain sfontain is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 263
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: 1991 Taurus Wiper wierdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_38
Thats an idea, however I am loathe to put in someone elses electrical problems. I also hate throwing money at a problem (being the cheap SOB that I am and having already tossed $50 for the switch at it). Hopefully someone else has had this problem and can come up with a solution.
I don't understand why you would assume that every salvage yard part has problems. I agree that it's a waste to put in random parts but unless you're able to find someone here who knows for sure what the problem is, that's what you're going to have to do. If you do have a good salvage yard nearby and can't get any leads on the part, I absolutely would go in and pull whatever parts you think could cause your problem and pay next to nothing for them. Then, once you find what fixes it, if you absolutely must have a new part then go buy it from a dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2005, 08:57 PM
jmas jmas is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a 91 Taurus with Wiper Wierdness & found the problem was caused by Cold Solder connections on the wiper control board. Its under the dash & you must open the module & resolder the connectors for the relays. The wipers worked great after that but the trans failed later & I junked the car.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts