-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Probe
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Bobert Bobert is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Bobert
95 GT Stalling, sputtering, you name it......

Recently bought 95 Probe GT 5 Speed.

As you should know this a 2.5 V6. 24 valve.

The problem I am having is that after about 30-40 miles of non stop (highway) driving it begins to act up. Sputtering, backfiring and bogging down. Eventually witihin 10-15 miles from when the problem starts I lose control of keeping the throttle high enough without bogging down the engine going from 70mph to 60mph to 50mph and so on.

If I let the vehicle sit long enough usually an hour or two I can go again and not have any hesitation at all...

Now I have been all over this forum and seen the same problem. Yet the solutions are not always the same.

Im going to guess that I should get the timing adjusted. I have replaced the plugs, wires and fuel filter. I nurse the car meaning I am not very hard on the throttle and she gets Max-life Syn with every oil change....

Does anyone have any ideas or recomendations.... Do you think I am right w/ the timing?

Any help would be appreciated... Id smoke you out if live close enough
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2005, 01:43 AM
blindfoldedhope blindfoldedhope is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to blindfoldedhope
Try fuel filter first its cheap... then move on to pump then the plugs and wires and timing... i have a 2.0 and when i first bought it it would stall out at every light changed the fuel filter and i was fine... you might also check that your fuel pump relay switch is dry ive also had problems with mine shorting out... and causing the fuel to cut in and out... ooohh what fun times...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Bobert Bobert is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Bobert
Re: 95 GT Stalling, sputtering, you name it......

I have already changed the fuel filter and plugs and all that fun stuff... So tomorrrow I am going to get it to a shop and get the timing adjusted.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2005, 02:15 PM
96probegt's Avatar
96probegt 96probegt is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 GT Stalling, sputtering, you name it......

i had a hyudai sonata that did the same thing it had a bad valve but try the timing or u could run some seafoam through it to clean the injectors
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Bobert Bobert is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Bobert
So I got it to a shop.

My harmonic balacer is coming apart and shredding the belt. Ford wanted $305 for the part. I was able to find the same part but from Mazda for roughly $220. That part should be here tomorrow.

Once that is changed, the plugs and wires (never use Bosche) need to be changed again. Then I can have my timing looked at.

So cross your fingers. lets hope its the timing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Ghostcloak's Avatar
Ghostcloak Ghostcloak is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ghostcloak
Re: 95 GT Stalling, sputtering, you name it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert
Once that is changed, the plugs and wires (never use Bosche) need to be changed again. Then I can have my timing looked at.
What's wrong with Bosche? Lol.. I've got Bosche I-4 Platinum +4 in my 93 Probe SE along with Xact Wires/Plugs. I've got no problems with any of it....
__________________
1993 Ford Probe SE

"Don't be a patriotic fool and die for your country. Shoot the other bastard, let him die for his country, and then go back and party in yours." -Ssgt Morris (My father while a DI at Paris Island)
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Probe


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts