-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-12-2005, 08:54 PM
JTFlorida JTFlorida is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inner tie rod ends

My 93 Taurus needs new inner tie rod ends. Pulled the boot back and discovered that a roll pin (lock pin) is driven through the tie rod end and the rack and pinion shaft. How can I remove this pin? The instructions on the TRW tie rod say to use a lock pin remover, however my local auto parts stores have no knowledge of this tool. Searches on the web have not panned out.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Smith1000 Smith1000 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 574
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Inner tie rod ends

I replaced the inner tie rods on my 91 Taurus at least once. I think I did the outers twice. I don't remember the lock pins being a problem. From what I recall, I used a nail about the same diameter as the roll pins. I ground the end off flat, then drove out the lock pins far enough to yank them out with pliers. You could probably use something else as long as it is about the same diameter as the hole. It needs to slide through. When I put the new ones on, I just used loctite on the threads and got them as tight as I could go. I think I had to get it aligned after I put them in, but if you measure the distance on the old ones, you might be able to get them close, so that the alignment is okay. I didn't do so though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2005, 08:51 PM
JTFlorida JTFlorida is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Inner tie rod ends

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is access to drive out the lock pin. There is no room to drive out the pin. The top of the hole is only inches from the car body. The only chance is from the bottom. Even then, it would take something 8 to 10" long to get up in there.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts