-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-09-2005, 10:00 PM
mzaratez mzaratez is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to mzaratez
A few questions for you all

I was just reading the huge arguement about hitting 170dbs. So I was wondering what I would need to hit in the mid 140s to maybe low 150s? How much money would it take more/less and what equipment would be needed? Also could it be done with good SQ rather than pure SQL?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-09-2005, 10:28 PM
AndonD454's Avatar
AndonD454 AndonD454 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 577
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to AndonD454
Re: A few questions for you all

im assuming you mean can a loud system be done with good sq and not just spl.. and yes. that is what sql is.

and i wouldnt expect to pay any less than 1500..
__________________
1996 Explorer 4.0 V6 4x4

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2005, 10:45 PM
bumpinstang77's Avatar
bumpinstang77 bumpinstang77 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,448
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77
Re: A few questions for you all

You can do mid 140's and still sound good with a nice pair of 12's 1+kw and a well designed poted box. What's your budget and what kind of vehicle do you have?
__________________
2002 Ford Explorer Limited
D31 yellow top
Kenwood DDX-7017
2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's
13 cuft NET ported box tuned to 27hz
Autotek Mean Machine MX3000.1
Ascendant Audio Arco component set
Orion 275SX (Mids)
PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
Poly Mids for rear fill to come soon.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2005, 11:16 PM
mzaratez mzaratez is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to mzaratez
Re: A few questions for you all

I have a four door Blazer. I would probably like to spend about $3,500.00 at the most for everything not including the install. I would also like to have all the speaker ports in the car filled. I know some of you all don't have any in the rear but I would really prefer that. Right now I have Kicker speakers (coaxials & components, they were fairly inexpensive), but I wanted to move the component speakers(K65.2) to the rear doors (I really like their sound) and something better for the front doors. I would also need a pair of 4 X 6 for the dash. So I guess then its SQL that I am looking for. I listen to all types of music so I would really like nice crisp bass rather than too much distortion from it. This is my daily driver so I am not looking for anything too extreme. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-10-2005, 12:35 AM
ngsm13's Avatar
ngsm13 ngsm13 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 912
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ngsm13
Re: Re: A few questions for you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaratez
I have a four door Blazer. I would probably like to spend about $3,500.00 at the most for everything not including the install. I would also like to have all the speaker ports in the car filled. I know some of you all don't have any in the rear but I would really prefer that. Right now I have Kicker speakers (coaxials & components, they were fairly inexpensive), but I wanted to move the component speakers(K65.2) to the rear doors (I really like their sound) and something better for the front doors. I would also need a pair of 4 X 6 for the dash. So I guess then its SQL that I am looking for. I listen to all types of music so I would really like nice crisp bass rather than too much distortion from it. This is my daily driver so I am not looking for anything too extreme. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
Well, if you insist on rear fill....

But, you DEFINITELY do not need the 4x6's in the dash...period.

Go with a GREAT set of components up front...check out some Adire Audio Koda's or some CDT HD62's. Send either around 200 rms per side an be happy! As far as subwoofers...and amplifiers...you have a million possibilities.

NG
__________________
I design custom enclosures!
And...my sig is short!
Oh and.. YOU suck balls...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-10-2005, 02:23 AM
KMoney28 KMoney28 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KMoney28
^^^^

Yea you can do a lot with $3,500
__________________
Sub: 1 15" Digital Designs 9500 in a slot ported box with 6 cubes
Sub Amp: Autotek MX-3000.1
Component Amp: 300 watt Pioneer
Headunit: Alpine CDA-9831
Speakers: 5.25 Sony's and 6x9 Pioneer's(Both of which need to be replaced so give me some suggestions)
Optima Yellowtop battery
Lanzar 5 farad Optifree capacitor
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-10-2005, 03:52 PM
bumpinstang77's Avatar
bumpinstang77 bumpinstang77 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,448
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77
Re: A few questions for you all

WOW 3500 is a HUGE budget. I can get you ver 150 daily EASIL with that budget.... and sound DAMN good too...PLEASE tell me your located near ohio.....lol where are u?
__________________
2002 Ford Explorer Limited
D31 yellow top
Kenwood DDX-7017
2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's
13 cuft NET ported box tuned to 27hz
Autotek Mean Machine MX3000.1
Ascendant Audio Arco component set
Orion 275SX (Mids)
PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
Poly Mids for rear fill to come soon.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-11-2005, 12:10 PM
bjboertje's Avatar
bjboertje bjboertje is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 589
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: A few questions for you all

he lives in Texas
__________________
2001 Ford ZX-2
Alpine CDA-9855
SAX 100.4
Rainbow CMX 265 front stage
Stock 5X7 rear fill
Hifonics BX1505D
TC-5200
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Mannyb18b's Avatar
Mannyb18b Mannyb18b is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 918
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b
Re: A few questions for you all

isnt that SR20 Territory?
__________________
300amp excessive amperage
Alpine H/U-
Incriminator Audio 20.1 @.35
(2) 15" Q's 8 cubes after 80sqin. 28hz
CDT EF-61's
Profile AP1040 on comps
NSB-100
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-11-2005, 01:21 PM
germanyt germanyt is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: A few questions for you all

hey mzaratez, if you have that kind of money to spend. take a look at this web page before you buy and consider the mtx. with all the attention jl gets with their w7, i was really impressed. i also heard a story about a test done between these two speakers with regular 110v wall outlet. wall outlets run at 60Hz (60 cycles per second) obviously 110 volts is way more than a car would ever put through and the mtx ran forever. no music just shitloads of power and an unsteady beat from the 60 hz. it basically distorts the speaker beyond belief. the w7 only lasted a few minutes. just thought you might be intersted in the info if you are going to spend that kind of money. i know i was thinking about the w7. if was still going to buy them, i would switch to the mtx
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-11-2005, 01:21 PM
germanyt germanyt is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: A few questions for you all

http://mtxaudio.com/caraudio/headtohead/w7.cfm oops almost forgot to put the address
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Mannyb18b's Avatar
Mannyb18b Mannyb18b is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 918
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b
Re: A few questions for you all

any MTX is a piece of shit compared to the W7 IMHO, an many others H.O.
__________________
300amp excessive amperage
Alpine H/U-
Incriminator Audio 20.1 @.35
(2) 15" Q's 8 cubes after 80sqin. 28hz
CDT EF-61's
Profile AP1040 on comps
NSB-100
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-11-2005, 03:04 PM
AndonD454's Avatar
AndonD454 AndonD454 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 577
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to AndonD454
Re: A few questions for you all

dude SQ and MTX are almost never in the same sentence... if i had the money you do i would probably go with 2 13.5 w7s just cause i could afford to.. and then i would probably get extremis or XXX mids.. probably a couple in each door if possible.. and then have some custom xovers made for em. id get some nice tweets on the dash or a-pillars.. get some amps worthy of the task.. zapco, usamps, trutech etc.. and upgrade the alternator and battery of course.. and get a nice eq and a flip screen alpine..

ohh mannnn that would be badass.. but hey thats what id do with the money. you can check out some of the stuff i listed though its pretty much all awesome shit
__________________
1996 Explorer 4.0 V6 4x4

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 PM
germanyt germanyt is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: A few questions for you all

i never said anything about mtxs having great sq. i heard them head to head in a bass room at a local car audio shop. using the 1/1000 jl amp. it still hit the mtxs harder and sounded better. im not going to say anything bad about w7 because i think they are an awesome sub, but i would look out for these mtxs. i believe they are going to get real popular. they guy at the shop told me a buddy of his put a 5000 wrms amp to a single one of these mtx thunders for almost 20 minutes with no problems. apparently they are extremely under rated. and i know this guy isn't lying to sell me the mtx because they sell w7 also and the mtx is cheaper. he just basically told me flat out "the mtx blows the w7 away"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-11-2005, 07:49 PM
PaulD PaulD is offline
Audio Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,701
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
you have NO idea how many ways they have to make one speaker sound better than another in a sound room.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Car Audio


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts