-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-27-2005, 08:36 AM
UK_FUBAR UK_FUBAR is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Ideling, and now Starting causing problems

OK 1stly,
Its in the UK
87 Camaro Z28 - 305ci Carb LG4 engine.
Everything stock

Ok here's the first problem, the car will not idle when its cold, ever. its smokey to start off with (fine after a little while).
The guy i bought it off has also turned up the idle speed but it still cuts out, I have to run it at about 3000RPMs to warm the engine up so that it will idle, also the car shakes noticably at low RPMs when its cold like this (is this normal?)

Does anyone know what could be causing these problems (theres probably lots of reasons!)

Then yesterday & today I've tried to start the car & the starter is turning the engine but its not firing. I did stall it yesterday trying to warm it up (lifted off to see if it would idle & it didn't) thinking i'de probably flooded the engine after a couple more goes I left it a day to try again. Today the same happened except it sounded like it was trying to fire (1 cylinder maybe) but the others weren't following its example .

So now the car is stuck in the garage...

FUBAR
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-27-2005, 12:08 PM
FormulaLT1's Avatar
FormulaLT1 FormulaLT1 is offline
Fight the powwa!!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,521
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: Ideling, and now Starting causing problems

Welcome to the forum. When was the last time you gave the car a tune up? abd have the motor mounts ever been replaced?.

John
__________________
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.


Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2005, 12:38 PM
UK_FUBAR UK_FUBAR is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only just got the car so I don't know about when it was last tuned, when i bought it I had it inspected & the guy did recommend a "good service & a tune up" but as yet I haven't been able to arrange anything.

As for the motor mounts I have no idea.

Im at the bottom of a very steep car mechanics learning curve at the moment, having done very little with car engines before & never owned an American car before either.

FUBAR

[Edit] oh and thanks for the welcome too [/Edit]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-28-2005, 07:02 PM
ct91rs ct91rs is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 643
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the smoke you see at start up is most likely caused by oil leaking past the valve seals, it burns up, and then the smoke goes away, unless you want to get the heads redone, it's not worth worrying about...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2005, 07:20 PM
UK_FUBAR UK_FUBAR is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Ideling, and now Starting causing problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct91rs
the smoke you see at start up is most likely caused by oil leaking past the valve seals, it burns up, and then the smoke goes away, unless you want to get the heads redone, it's not worth worrying about...
Its getting into the cylinders somehow.
On the not starting issue, I had a friend look at the car who is a mechanic & we came to the conclusion that the car was choking itself & trying to fire with almost no air. With that held open it fires up fine & runs ok (even in zero degree weather) with a lot less warming up than before. Its a temporary bodge until we can get it sorted properly but that wont be long so it should be ok.

I also discovered it has a coolant leak coming from somewhere as the drip pan i put underneath had bluish liquid on it this evening when I moved the car.

Not that I knew buying this car was going to be a walk in the park but things keep coming up...

FUB
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2005, 07:41 PM
ct91rs ct91rs is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 643
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A coolant leak is most likely coming from one of three places. 1) water pump (an indication that the water pump is still working, but about to go) 2) a radiator, heater core, or bypass hose or 3) the radiator itself.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2005, 04:37 PM
UK_FUBAR UK_FUBAR is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I managed to get the car up on a lift the other day to Have a look round underneath. The coolant leak is dripping onto the crossmember under the engine (think thats what its called) so its not coming from the radiator.

I also got emissions testing done on the car prior to its MOT & much to my suprise it was running a perfect (so im told) 14.75:1 air / fuel ratio & only 1% carbon particulates (pass rate is 3.5% in the UK for an '87 Car) This pleased me as I thought it was being crap!
Some problems remaining are:

Engine is knocking slightly
Oil Leak on top of the engine somewhere (possibly coming out of a disconnected breather pipe) but more likely rocker gaskets.
Coolant Leak
Some welding needs doing to pass its MOT (being done soon) due to its proximity to the rear suspension mounts. this was hiding behind the plastic body kit pieces on the side (£200 max)
Seatbelts need replacing to pass MOT (on order via eBay)
Handbrake only locks 1 rear wheel & not very well (is it supposed to do both?) again an MOT item

Probably more i've forgotten / haven't noticed yet

FUB
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts