-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-10-2005, 02:23 AM
imnprsd imnprsd is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

My 97 blazer did not come with a keyless entry system, but I do have power locks. The dealer informed me I can not buy a "Flop" (wireless key), but they said I can go to an Accessory Store and buy a keyless system. So by chance, when I was at Circuit City I found that they sell such a system which taps-into my power door system. Can anyone tell me if there is a better way to go vs installing an after-market system? Perferably, if a lot of LT blazers had the option of installing a keyless entery system, I have to believe the wiring harness are already plumbed-in and maybe... just maybe I can add an additional control unit from GM to which will be more reliable over time. Any thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2005, 03:02 AM
jakes900 jakes900 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

why not just buy an alarm. As long as you have a diagram they aren't that hard to install.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 AM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

Hold on, what trim package is your 97 blazer?
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2005, 12:20 PM
imnprsd imnprsd is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes900
why not just buy an alarm. As long as you have a diagram they aren't that hard to install.

My 97 Blazer is a 4x4 LT package. It has power locks but the Dealer said it did not come from the factory with a keyless entry system. And no I don't have a wiring diagram for my car. I'm shooting in the dark on this one.

Question: Can I buy an Alarm module (or combination of stuff) from the dealer and that will include the keyless entry system too?

My thoughts and hopes are that the OEM wiring in the car should support a keyless system since it has power door locks. I would prefer not to add an aftermarket device if I don't have too.

PS
I had a 95 Jimmy 4x4 LT Package and it had a keyless entry system in it. That's why I thought my 97 LT Package might be easilly enabled.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2005, 12:23 PM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

Yes, it came with keyless entry.

All you have to do is buy a remote.

All LT's come with keyless entry.
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2005, 12:32 PM
imnprsd imnprsd is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
Yes, it came with keyless entry.

All you have to do is buy a remote.

All LT's come with keyless entry.

...But I went to the dealer and the mechanic could not program the remote, so the Sercice Manger looked up my VIN in the computer and told me, "Since your car did not come with the keyless entry system you can not program the remote."

However, I agree with you. I think it should be possible to enable this feature. BUT HOW?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2005, 12:34 PM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

An LT without keyless entry, I highly doubt it, but I guess it could be...but yet again , I sincerely doubt it.

If nothing else, get an aftermarket keyless entry with alarm system install.

I recommend Avital, came high recommended and man, what an awesome system on mine.
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
molehole's Avatar
molehole molehole is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to molehole
Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

first with the 95-present Blazer you have to have at least a driver side power seat to have keyless entry. If you have the power seat you should have keyless entry. If you don't have a power seat then you do not have keyless entry. I believe they work of the same fuse.
Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2005, 06:45 PM
ponchonutty's Avatar
ponchonutty ponchonutty is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

Yeah, I have seen plenty LT Blazers without keyless. I had one that was new from the factory.

As far as keyless entries, anything from DEI would suit you fine. If you live in a colder area, why not go with a remote starter. I usually charge $199 for a remote starter with keyless for a Blazer like yours. Keyless would be about $130 so what's another $60?
__________________
Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 z71
Pioneer 4900mp
Orion P6.2 Componet sets front
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround


2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2005, 12:54 AM
roesrat67 roesrat67 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i agree with ponch aftermarket alarm is the way 2 go and DEI is a good brand those prices are very reasonable compared to what the dealer would charge you ,some have lifetime warranty i have a 98 blazer with dei product works great , i have been installing for 25 years .
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-13-2005, 12:58 AM
imnprsd imnprsd is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

[quote=BlazerLT]An LT without keyless entry, I highly doubt it, but I guess it could be...but yet again , I sincerely doubt it.

Sorry, you maybe right. My 97 Blazer 4x4 is an LS Package not an LT. Even so, are still surprised it did not come with a keyless entry system... And no I don't have power seats if that makes a difference, but I do have power windows and power locks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM
BlazerLT's Avatar
BlazerLT BlazerLT is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

Wow, this is weird, I thought part of the LT package was indeed the keyless entry.
__________________
1995 Factory Blazer Service Manual for sale, PM if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-13-2005, 02:22 PM
imnprsd imnprsd is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerLT
Wow, this is weird, I thought part of the LT package was indeed the keyless entry.

Just to clarify, I have an LS Blazer. Do you think it should have come with a keyless entry system?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Allbert Allbert is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 230
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

For 98 Blazers at least, if there is no code "AU0" on the list in the glovebox then there is no keyless entry receiver.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-13-2005, 08:21 PM
imnprsd imnprsd is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: How To Add A Keyless Entry System???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allbert
For 98 Blazers at least, if there is no code "AU0" on the list in the glovebox then there is no keyless entry receiver.

I could not find AU0 or any other list in the glovebox. Can you be a little more specific as to where to look?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts