-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Mrbikerman Mrbikerman is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mrbikerman
Question Supercharged headers?

Hey,
I own a 97 supercharged 3.4L, and I was planning on getting some headers and exhaust soon. Someone told me that the supercharger makes a negative difference in how the headers perform, and suggested I look into some that are specifically designed for the SC'ed engine. I was wondering if this could be true because I thought headers had to do with the timing of the exhaust charges from each cylinder, and not so much with the pressure or force they (the charges) have. If any of you have some input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, have any of you heard of the Shiftronic kit for automatics from Level Ten?http://www.levelten.com/store/import...shiftronic.htm
If so, have you heard good or bad things? I would really really love to have control over shifting, torque converter lockup, and shift pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Supercharged headers?

Everything you always wanted to know about supercharging a 3.4 L V6 and how to modify your transmission.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/4run.htm
and
http://www.urdusa.com/Merchant2/merc...Store_Code=URD

The bottom line is: Headers work fine, and Unless you work at it, you will run lean.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Mrbikerman Mrbikerman is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mrbikerman
Re: Supercharged headers?

I've already checked Gadget's stuff thouroughly. He has no mention of the shifttronic kit. Have you seen the video of his dyno run? HOLY MOLY
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Brian R.'s Avatar
Brian R. Brian R. is offline
Resident Chemist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,586
Thanks: 105
Thanked 158 Times in 158 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Supercharged headers?

If you want to try the shiftronic kit, you should work really hard to find someone else who has already done that and find out what happened. Anything else is your money.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2005, 02:04 AM
forest_grump forest_grump is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 228
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Supercharged headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbikerman
Hey,
I own a 97 supercharged 3.4L, and I was planning on getting some headers and exhaust soon. Someone told me that the supercharger makes a negative difference in how the headers perform, and suggested I look into some that are specifically designed for the SC'ed engine. I was wondering if this could be true because I thought headers had to do with the timing of the exhaust charges from each cylinder, and not so much with the pressure or force they (the charges) have. If any of you have some input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, have any of you heard of the Shiftronic kit for automatics from Level Ten?http://www.levelten.com/store/import...shiftronic.htm
If so, have you heard good or bad things? I would really really love to have control over shifting, torque converter lockup, and shift pressure.

By nature a supercharger creates positive PRESSURE inside your intake as it is force feeding air like Johns to a whorehouse on main with a grand opening 25 cent special...Since air is being FORCED and we do indeed know for fact it makes a POSITIVE difference.....oh hell cut the bs Grump and say it already....

You need a much more free flowing exhaust with a supercharger if you want full gains...otherwise you just inviting more people to your party and trapping them in the hallway.

P.S. Don't forget to check for an overlean condition when switching to any free'er flowing exhaust system (computers can't always compensate for this)You run into an overlean problem...let me know...there and a few simple (cheap or free even) ways of fixing this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Mrbikerman Mrbikerman is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mrbikerman
Re: Supercharged headers?

Before I do the headers, I'd be (most likely) changing the fuel pump and injectors, maybe the AFS and eventually rework the valve body in the (auto) tranny to quicken shifts.

I know there would be more pressure in the exhaust, but would that really make a difference in the header section? Obvoiusly farther down the line things like the cat and muffler should be higher flow for a supercharged engine, but I didn't think the headers would impair it enough to buy custom ones. Do you think I should look into a larger diameter tubing or something? Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-12-2005, 01:46 PM
vitaman vitaman is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Supercharged headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest_grump
By nature a supercharger creates positive PRESSURE inside your intake as it is force feeding air like Johns to a whorehouse on main with a grand opening 25 cent special...Since air is being FORCED and we do indeed know for fact it makes a POSITIVE difference.....oh hell cut the bs Grump and say it already....

You need a much more free flowing exhaust with a supercharger if you want full gains...otherwise you just inviting more people to your party and trapping them in the hallway.

P.S. Don't forget to check for an overlean condition when switching to any free'er flowing exhaust system (computers can't always compensate for this)You run into an overlean problem...let me know...there and a few simple (cheap or free even) ways of fixing this.
I have a 1996 4runner trd supercharged and I am very interested in the cheap lean fix Forrest grump. I also am considering an exhaust upgrade catback, maybe 3inch pipe and flowmaster muffler?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts