-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-28-2004, 10:32 AM
winterbaby15 winterbaby15 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2000 sable ls idling problem

I have a 2000 sable with 28,000 miles on it. I seem to be having a problem with idling and mild outside temperatures. When I drive and shut down for about 30-60 minutes and restart it, it shakes and jumps while idling at around 300-500 rpms. It will stall if I don't feed it gas before I put it into gear. It has stalled in the past and I brought it for service, where the fuel and air filters, iac valve and spark plugs where changed. It ran great for the winter then when spring and fall came, the same problems have returned. I also have added fuel injector cleaners -- no help. The dealer and mechanics have no idea what is going on with this car. Any ideas or suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2004, 01:06 PM
KimMG KimMG is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,276
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 sable ls idling problem

What are your drivng habits (town, freeway)?
Fuel economy?
Sounds like another tune-up is needed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2004, 07:46 PM
winterbaby15 winterbaby15 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 sable ls idling problem

I drive mostly highway, getting about 225 miles per tank of gas. This problem only seems to happen when the weather changes, otherwise the car is fine. With the cold weather now -- no problems -- when the spring comes with milder temperatures I am certain this will happen again. Don't forget the car only has about 28,000 miles on it, I don't think a tune-up will help with this problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2005, 06:42 PM
pekin21 pekin21 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: 2000 sable ls idling problem

Winterbaby - Not that it helps, but I have a 2002 with the exact same problem. Only occurs when the outside temp is around 30-40 degrees. Today the check engine light finaly lit up for the first time while doing it. I ran the codes and the only thing that came up was no. 3 cyclinder mis-fired. But I don't think it's the spark plug or wire because after 5min. or so it runs smooth again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2005, 10:47 PM
pekin21 pekin21 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2000 sable ls idling problem

No one else has seen this???
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Da Gunner Da Gunner is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2000 sable ls idling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekin21
No one else has seen this???
I am currently experiencing similar problems. Temps here in Jacksonville have dropped, and the car is a beast to keep running at first startup. Even after running for a while, the car still stumbles mildly at red lights. I am going to pull codes this afternoon. I have replaced the EGR sensor, IAC motor, and the problem seemed to go away. This is the worst that it has been. I am concerned that I may have an elusive vacuum leak or a problem with the intake.

I will post as soon as I know anything.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-29-2005, 11:47 AM
pekin21 pekin21 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2000 sable ls idling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Gunner
I am currently experiencing similar problems. Temps here in Jacksonville have dropped, and the car is a beast to keep running at first startup. Even after running for a while, the car still stumbles mildly at red lights. I am going to pull codes this afternoon. I have replaced the EGR sensor, IAC motor, and the problem seemed to go away. This is the worst that it has been. I am concerned that I may have an elusive vacuum leak or a problem with the intake.

I will post as soon as I know anything.

Da Gunner - Did you find an answer to your problem? The temps here in Minnesota warmed up to 30+ and mine has started the idling problem again.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-29-2005, 11:47 AM
pekin21 pekin21 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2000 sable ls idling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Gunner
I am currently experiencing similar problems. Temps here in Jacksonville have dropped, and the car is a beast to keep running at first startup. Even after running for a while, the car still stumbles mildly at red lights. I am going to pull codes this afternoon. I have replaced the EGR sensor, IAC motor, and the problem seemed to go away. This is the worst that it has been. I am concerned that I may have an elusive vacuum leak or a problem with the intake.

I will post as soon as I know anything.

Da Gunner - Did you find an answer to your problem? The temps here in Minnesota warmed up to 30+ and mine has started the idling problem again.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Da Gunner Da Gunner is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2000 sable ls idling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekin21
Da Gunner - Did you find an answer to your problem? The temps here in Minnesota warmed up to 30+ and mine has started the idling problem again.
I started a new thread, here's the link: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=496927

Still working it, but making progress. There are so many things that can cause this. You really need to have a device that lets you observe the various sensors as they are operating, such as a Tech2. Otherwise, you better have a mechanic that is an excellent diagnostician, with the right equipment.

I will continue to post in the other thread as I unravel this problem.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mercury > Sable


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts