|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Changing shocks when lowering
I was wondering if anyone knew if the shocks on our cars would have to be changed when we lower it? I'm watching Pimp My Ride right now and WCC just lowered a car and they also changed the shocks too. I know my car is lowered but I don't think the previous owner changed the shocks as well and I don't know if that is an essential step or not (it seems very important. Thanks guys.
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
No, I don't think you have to...that is why they sell lowering springs individually.
__________________
96 3000gt vr4 -K&N FIPK -Proboost mbc -Cusco front + rear strut bars -Greddy type-s -ATR downpipe -no cats -15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly. Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical. |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
I know that they should be changed, but if your ride isn't hindered, don't worry about it...yet. The O.E shocks won't last as long with lowering springs but they'll be alright for a while. Buy some KYB GR-2 gas struts (when you need to replace the old ones) and you'll be in good shape. I have them with Eibach springs and it's a great ride. I wouldn't rush out and buy them unless you want to because you'll know when they go bad.
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
Yeah, I think mine have gone bad because when I go over bumps, the rear tires have this like "clunking" sound. But yeah, I'm too broke right now to change 'em but just wanted to know if it was mandatory. Thanks.
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
And slade, when my friend's 240SX rear shocks went bad, he would slam the back end real hard and it would keep bouncing. That's a tell tale sign your shocks are bad. In case that helps.
|
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
Hmm....when you say slam, you mean like push down right, not slamming on the brakes?
I don't think mine is really bouncy but I will try that tomorrow to see what happens. Thanks....
|
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
If you get a bouncy clunking sound...they are getting worn. If you push down hard on teh back end of the car, and it bounces up and down excessively(more than 2 or 3 tops) then they definantly need to be replaced.
__________________
96 3000gt vr4 -K&N FIPK -Proboost mbc -Cusco front + rear strut bars -Greddy type-s -ATR downpipe -no cats -15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly. Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical. |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for clarification Igovert.
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Re: Changing shocks when lowering
If your getting a clucnk its more likely the strut mounts. Those are like an extra $50 or something but easier to go ahead and change while your changing struts than pulling everything back apart because you still have a clunk.
|
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
Yeah, I actually did that pushing test thingy today and everything seems to be okay. So Stealthee, strut mounts huh? What do those look like? Also, could it the bearing (or however you spell it)? Just a thought.....
|
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Re: Changing shocks when lowering
The srtut mounts are the pillow things at the top where the strut mounts. New struts wont come with these so they have to be ordered seperately. I changed struts on my one car because the ride was getting rough. It ended up not makin a difference. I found out about the strut mounts and changed those and it was a much better ride.
|
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
When you say strut mount and stuff you're not referring to strut bars, right?
|
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Changing shocks when lowering
Right
__________________
96 3000gt vr4 -K&N FIPK -Proboost mbc -Cusco front + rear strut bars -Greddy type-s -ATR downpipe -no cats -15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly. Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical. |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|