-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-29-2004, 06:10 PM
cpickering cpickering is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BCM Problem,I think

I tried putting a used BCM from a salvage yard in my JGC to see if it would stop the battery from draing and the mileage changed on the odometer. Does anyone know if this can this be corrected? BUT, I still have a "key off draw". I have been told this is normal and most jeeps will die after a few days of not driving?! (Ibetter not leave it at the airport if I go on vacation) Does anyone know what the normal draw should be with the key off? Maybe a brand spankin new BCM would fix it, but do they need programing or anything? Somebody please take pity on this poor broke college student and fill me in. I can not find a mechanic around here, even the dealer who can answer my questions.(They just want mucho dinero) Thanks-CP
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2004, 08:15 PM
xj31 xj31 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 650
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: BCM Problem,I think

Did you actually measure what the draw is?Somewhere around 50 milliamps is pretty typical but I have seen Grand Cherokees with a little bit more.FYI,when you first turn the key off,it will be quite a bit higher,usually 200-300 milliamps but it should drop after less than a minute after all of the modules power down.As far as the mileage goes its burned into the bcm.I don't believe you can get a "new" bcm.I work at a dealer and all we can get are "reman" or exchange units.They come with the mileage already programmed.I'm pretty sure that there is no way to change it.If you did it would be odometer tampering which is kind of illegal
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2004, 01:25 PM
cpickering cpickering is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: BCM Problem,I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj31
Did you actually measure what the draw is?Somewhere around 50 milliamps is pretty typical but I have seen Grand Cherokees with a little bit more.FYI,when you first turn the key off,it will be quite a bit higher,usually 200-300 milliamps but it should drop after less than a minute after all of the modules power down.As far as the mileage goes its burned into the bcm.I don't believe you can get a "new" bcm.I work at a dealer and all we can get are "reman" or exchange units.They come with the mileage already programmed.I'm pretty sure that there is no way to change it.If you did it would be odometer tampering which is kind of illegal

Thanks for the info. I got a multimeter and checked the actual draw and it is 175 M Amps. I plugged in the other BCM and got the identical reading. Does this seem high? I also pulled all the fuses except the one to the bcm and got the same readings after each fuse. I waited quite a while also to make sure everthing had a chance to normalise.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts