-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-27-2004, 01:01 PM
sqwrm sqwrm is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'91 Spirit electrical short

I have a '91 Dodge Spirit 3.0 with an A604 transmission. I just bought it along with it's electrical problem which wouldn't let it start because a wire would burn up when the starter was energized. So I'm still burning the harness by the left strut tower when I try to start it. I have gotten it started and driven 90-100 miles but this short seems to be intermittent or... I'm getting a little confused over all these wires, etc. Two wires are heating up (SMOKING), A61 16DG/BK going to splice 25 and A14 14RD going to the A00 splice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by sqwrm; 10-28-2004 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Schister66's Avatar
Schister66 Schister66 is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,897
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66
Re: electrical short

Did someone jimmy-rig the starter with a wire that was too small and it can't handle the current? What gauge is the wire that keeps smokin' up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2004, 06:51 PM
sqwrm sqwrm is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: electrical short

The wire to the starter is quite big and has never heated up.Two wires are getting HOT. Both come from the AUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY. A61 is a 16ga. Dark Green wire with a BlacK stripe (16DG/BK) and A14 is a 14ga. Red wire (RD). A61 goes to socket 8 SBEC, the fuel pump, and the injectors (both circuits seem to work OK).On the other side of the AUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY A14 goes to socket 3 SBEC and splice A00. Both burn to the splices where the wire becomes big enough to handle the current. I got some used harness wire and replaced the burned wires with the same.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Schister66's Avatar
Schister66 Schister66 is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,897
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66
Re: electrical short

I'm not very familiar with the Dodge Sprint so i don't know what to tell you. I have a Honda so i don't know much about dodges. Sorry
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts