-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Shpyder's Avatar
Shpyder Shpyder is offline
Moderate moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,751
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1G throttle body on 2G...bolt on?

I know that the 1G throttle body is an upgrade for the smaller 2G tb's. Im thinking about getting one for my 97 turbo.

My questions:

1) is the installation a bolt on affair, or do I need any adapters/flanges or any other extra material?

2) any special precautions before/during installation?

3) will the stock 2G elbow fit?

4) any specific 1G year/model throttle body that I should search for?

One more thing...I have GReddy IC piping and BOV with my stock SMIC. Can I use the same piping for a Big GReddy FMIC or would I need the piping kit? In a nutchell, is a GReddy FMIC worth it, or should I look elsewhere? (Even though a larger SMIC would be ok once I get my EvoIII16G, i wanna front mount! just has to be large enough to cover a major portion of the front opening).
__________________


The daily driver. The weekend cruiser. The lazy shop hog.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-22-2004, 03:39 AM
kjewer1 kjewer1 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 1G throttle body on 2G...bolt on?

1) It technically bolts right on. All DSM TB bolt patterns are the same (I'm using a 1g NT for instance). The issue is that the hole in your 2g manifold is still 52mm, so the 60mm TB opening wont help you. Swapping to the 1g manifold requires a lot of porting to the head or thats completely ineffective (even detrimental), so you might as well then upgrade the head too. I Did all of them at once.

The best middle ground solution is to port the 2g manifold to 60mm. Its not hard at all, and if you like I can provide information on what carbide burs to use, where to get them, etc. But you need a die grinder, either electric (~80 bucks at sears, a pain in the ass), or pnuematic (~20 bucks at lowes/HD, badass, lots of control, but requires an aircompressor).

2) Not really. Its a straight froward swap. You will need to drain your coolant first though or you'll have a mess when you remove those lines.

3) The 2g stock elbow fits fine, most 1g guys upgrade that that one. Its not quite 60mm though, so it helps to enlarge that as well when you port the manifold.

4) You want a 91-94, since the vacuum line setup is very similar. The 90s are quite different, and the TPS is incompatible. You'll need to use the 2g Throttle Position Sensor since on a 2g it incorporates the throttle closed switch (hence the extra 4th wire) while the 1g uses an actual switch on the throttle arm (where the cable connects). Leave ths switch intact even though we dont use it, its also a throttle plate stop. It may stick shut occasionally if you remove that switch. Ask me how I know


I hope that helps!
__________________
Kevin Jewer
RWD Talon - 7.92 at 180
Mightymax - 10.7 at 125
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-22-2004, 09:34 AM
scottsee scottsee is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,677
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to scottsee
Re: 1G throttle body on 2G...bolt on?

what kind of extra horepower could you expect from the full head, intake, tb swap? with stock internals?
__________________
DSM geek
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2004, 09:48 AM
kjewer1 kjewer1 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 1G throttle body on 2G...bolt on?

Hard to say. Most poeple on 20g/50trim type setups log a 3 lb/min airflow increase, and using the standard 10 hP rule, thats 30 HP. I think the more air you are flowing, the more this upgrade is worth. Plenty of poeple make tons of power on 2g heads though, especially with a magnus 2g sheet metal intake manifold.
__________________
Kevin Jewer
RWD Talon - 7.92 at 180
Mightymax - 10.7 at 125
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Shpyder's Avatar
Shpyder Shpyder is offline
Moderate moderator
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,751
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1G throttle body on 2G...bolt on?

Kevin, that helped me to no end! Thanks for the info, this thread is saved.
__________________


The daily driver. The weekend cruiser. The lazy shop hog.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts