-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-09-2004, 10:02 PM
d_man_83 d_man_83 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to d_man_83
420A locked

What's the most common thing that happens or messes up when an engine get hydrolocked? What's an average price of the damages? Im saving up some cash to my car fixed but I want to know when I have enough.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2004, 08:31 AM
EclipseRST's Avatar
EclipseRST EclipseRST is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,716
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to EclipseRST Send a message via MSN to EclipseRST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseRST
Re: 420A locked

i dont know if it was you or not that i suggested a 1/2 qt of tranny fluid in each cylinder... if not i'd try that!!! let it sit for a good day or a day and a half then put a breaker bar on the crank pully and see if she moves... i do it all the time with my dirt bikes and 4 wheelers if they take in water and get hydro locked! and if the pistons break free then turn the crank over a good 50-75 turns to get the cylinders nice and coated with oil then let it sit for another 12-24hrs and come back and put your spark plugs in and try to start it up!!! thats all we do with the bikes... works a charm, i have seen it done with 3 V8's already and i have tryed it on a V6 and it worked so hopefully it will work on your car! good luck and i would diffinately try this before you go out and buy a whole new motor!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2004, 10:19 AM
d_man_83 d_man_83 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to d_man_83
Re: 420A locked

I tried that but no success, it just turns for like half a turn then locks up. I've been trying to get the head off but its kinda hard to see what went wrong or what I need. I'll try to get it off today again. What do you think is bad in there. Pistons? Valves? Crank? What could it be, whats the most common damage?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2004, 10:52 AM
98GSX's Avatar
98GSX 98GSX is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 203
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 98GSX
Re: 420A locked

rings.... you may have overheated the head.... then the pistons may have got locked in the heads?
__________________
RST Eclipse GST: Here's the thing I am a scammer... thanks for the $225!!!!! <----THAS JAKE



^^^ hehehe

2000 Ford F-250 boostin' 30 psi
1997 Lexus ES 300
2000 Mazda 626
1999 Mazda Protege
1991 Geo Storm boostin' 10 psi
1998 Eclipse GSX boostin' 16 psi
1991 Oldsmobile Cutlas Calais
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2004, 11:32 AM
d_man_83 d_man_83 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to d_man_83
Re: 420A locked

I f I get to take off the head I can see whats wrong right? Any suggestions on how to take them off? I took everything from the front off already, the hard part if taking the whole intake manifold off from the back, there's barely any room. What can I do?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2004, 11:45 AM
d_man_83 d_man_83 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to d_man_83
Re: 420A locked

I forgot, what about the valves? Should I purchase them just in case?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2004, 12:10 PM
dupeto_e's Avatar
dupeto_e dupeto_e is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 420A locked

dude i got to leaving my hpus right now and dont have much time but some quick tips... the head itself comes of for about 45 minutes. take it ot with the intake(dont bother taking it out while in the engine bay). u can also take out the 4 bolts on the turbo and take the head out only with the exsaust or u can take the 2 bolts on the down pipe and take the head out with the turbo. discconect evry water/oil supply line and u are ready to go. just try to think and it makes sense...
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2004, 12:25 PM
ashah000's Avatar
ashah000 ashah000 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,149
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ashah000
Re: 420A locked

"420a locked"

Not turbo
__________________
For Sale 98 Eclipse GS, 5 spd
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2004, 01:03 PM
d_man_83 d_man_83 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to d_man_83
Re: 420A locked

ha...good one asha...i was just gonna say that..but he does help a little. Disconnecting the oil and water lines may help. Any other tips? I can work on the 4g63 way easier than this 420A.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2004, 04:13 PM
dupeto_e's Avatar
dupeto_e dupeto_e is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 420A locked

ooops... my bad...was in a rush...

but that means less staff to take apart. sorry not that familiar with 420a , just seen it from the top...
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2004, 05:19 PM
EclipseRST's Avatar
EclipseRST EclipseRST is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,716
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to EclipseRST Send a message via MSN to EclipseRST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseRST
Re: 420A locked

pull in intake mani... easier to get the head out that way, pull off the exhaust, pull off the timing belt, and unbolt the head!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-10-2004, 05:20 PM
cweezie cweezie is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is it seized or is it hydrolocked? did you suck up some water in your intake? did your timing belt break? that is what it sounds like to me is that your timing belt broke and a couple if your valves went through the top of your pistons. that happened to one og my friends 1g he could turn the motor over about a half of a turn.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-10-2004, 08:26 PM
d_man_83 d_man_83 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to d_man_83
Re: 420A locked

Well the timing belt is fine...i sucked up water...I can't believe what happened right now..I was trying to take off the head and out of no where i turned the pulley and the engine rotated, should I put some oil in there and try to start it or should I continue taking the head off? I did what eclipse rst told me to do. Today I took off the water pipes and as i turned the pulley the tranny oil came out. Now I don't know if it was all the oil that i had put in there but it was quite a bit. What do I do all the oil is out before putting motor oil in there and try to start it?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2004, 06:08 PM
cweezie cweezie is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you kill it or did it die when you sucked up some water? you could have bent some rods
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-11-2004, 08:43 PM
d_man_83 d_man_83 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to d_man_83
Re: 420A locked

it just died..now it tries to rotate but won't...i bought rods already...what else should I buy just in case?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts