-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Reveloution00 Reveloution00 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold Air intake

ok so iv proble asked this question before buyt anyways, I was looking to buy a generic Cold Air intake from ebay has anyone had prolems with generic intakes could it tear up my car using a generic one ??? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-14-2004, 09:02 AM
johnnyBgood johnnyBgood is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 566
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to johnnyBgood
Re: Cold Air intake

Name brand intakes cost money because they are 1.) quality, and 2.) have had money put into them for R&D. 3.) You get a warranty with the item. All those ebay intakes have fine print which usually reads "no refunds, period".

Generic intakes are no name brands that most likely will not come with everything you need for a properly running car. IMO, I would not buy anything generic off ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2004, 10:09 AM
eclipsed4utoo's Avatar
eclipsed4utoo eclipsed4utoo is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cold Air intake

some people have had problems with cheap intakes off ebay and some people said that they worked fine. so its your choice. i would never buy any performance mod off of ebay. but thats just me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2004, 06:07 PM
03DMeclipse 03DMeclipse is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 03DMeclipse Send a message via MSN to 03DMeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to 03DMeclipse
Re: Cold Air intake

I've had my share turn with an generic cold air intake that I got off of ebay. I bidded on and won a Bomz racing CAI from ebay. When I got the product, I started to install it. When installing, the rubber connectors were awful and the pipes didnt have none of the screw fittings on them to secure the intake from rattling back in forth in the engine.

No later that I finished the installation and drove it around, my service engine light came on. I got the code cleared it and after 200 miles the light came back on. I took out the intake and the light came right off.

So dont got with an ebay intake. I would recommend this site www.ptuning.com Get the Injen CAI with a heat/splash guard. I now have the injen and I dont regret it!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2004, 04:22 PM
SkiNutJones SkiNutJones is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SkiNutJones
Re: Cold Air intake

Get this I went into a local shop yesterday. I asked them for a price on an AEM CAI. The guy then said why would you want those they are too expensive and overrated. He then suggested that I buy a Weapon R intake because it is cheaper and the same thing.
So I said no I still want the AEM and he said, "well its your money."
and I responded, "No its my engine."
They were charging almost $400 for the AEM. I couldnt believe how much they were charging, needless to say I didnt buy one from them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-20-2004, 12:11 AM
johnnyBgood johnnyBgood is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 566
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to johnnyBgood
Re: Cold Air intake

That is a ripoff. If you are interested in an AEM intake, I will pm you a price. Please let me know. Also, I have Injen as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2004, 05:59 PM
SkiNutJones SkiNutJones is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SkiNutJones
Re: Cold Air intake

yah man let me know. i wont have the money for a couple weeks I was just looking at prices. I'd prefer the AEM but the injen would be cool also.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2004, 08:52 PM
03DMeclipse 03DMeclipse is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 03DMeclipse Send a message via MSN to 03DMeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to 03DMeclipse
Re: Cold Air intake

get the injen
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2004, 09:38 PM
johnnyBgood johnnyBgood is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 566
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to johnnyBgood
Re: Cold Air intake

You can go to my website: http://www.fiautosports.com/3g/intake.html and see all of the quality intakes there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2004, 12:01 AM
lilslim lilslim is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to lilslim
Re: Cold Air intake

You shouldnt get the cheap intakes for all the reasons JohnnyBgood listed. Get a Injen or AEM intake from my friend Eddy at RPMmotoring.com They are cheap prices and its FREE shipping on Injen and AEM intakes. If you cant find one for your car listed then call there toll free # which is listed on the site and they will get it for you. The company ONLY carrys good name brand products for cheap prices.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 PM
FIGG's Avatar
FIGG FIGG is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to FIGG
Re: Cold Air intake

Ebay sux for intakes..my buddy got one and it triggered aan check Engine light...Other than that EBAY Iz cool for other 3G stuff
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-2004, 07:37 PM
SkiNutJones SkiNutJones is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SkiNutJones
Hey Johnny,
I saw that you updated your site. What is that new V2 intake? Is it worth the extra cash?
I have my Grad party this weekend should be comming into some cash hopefully!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-06-2004, 07:32 AM
johnnyBgood johnnyBgood is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 566
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to johnnyBgood
Re: Cold Air intake

It is a new intake deisgned by AEM for as much cold air as possible and for it to distribute air more evenly among the cylinders. Because it is so new, I have no concrete data to say it performs better, but my customers who do get it love it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-09-2004, 06:36 PM
SkiNutJones SkiNutJones is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SkiNutJones
Re: Cold Air intake

I'm ordering an AEM intake next week. What size bypass valve do I need to get the place I'm ordering it from has them from 2.25-3 in. I just dont know what size our intake is.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-09-2004, 07:44 PM
03DMeclipse 03DMeclipse is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 03DMeclipse Send a message via MSN to 03DMeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to 03DMeclipse
On the by-pass valve you need to get, your intake should identify the size tubing on it. It's prolly a 2.5 though....I got an injen cai.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts