-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-28-2004, 07:18 PM
hyacynth hyacynth is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No sound!

My dad gave me his 1990 Buick LeSabre about 2 years ago. I love it. It's always been a great car, and as long as I've been good to it, it has been good to me. I only have one complaint. The radio does not produce any sound whatsoever. The display doesn't even work, except for the clock. I've tried replacing the fuse, but that doesn't work. I have absolutely no electrical knowledge, and really no mechanical knowledge, either. I'm just a single mom who can't afford to get it fixed in the shop, but who's annoyed with having a boom box type cd player on my passenger seat. If anyone can tell me what's wrong, and how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it. I can easily learn how to do it, I just need someone to teach me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2004, 03:22 PM
HannabilRox HannabilRox is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like it needs replaced. It is rather easy to remove. The black trim ring around the heater / AC control "pops" out with a screwdriver. Gently pry it out from each of the 4 corners. This will reveal 4 screws which hold that whole plastic panel trim covering the heater / AC control and the radio. Remove those 4 screws (Torx 15). The plastic trim can now be removed. There are 4 more Torx 15 screws holding in the radio. Remove those and the whole unit slides out. On the back I believe there are 2, maybe 3, wire harness connectors. One is for the speakers, and the other is for power and to the power antenna. Remove the wire harness connectors from the back of the radio. There also is a thick black cable running to the back of the radio which is the actual antenna cable. That will either unplug from the back of the radio, or you need to follow it down to where it plugs into the antenna cable recepticle (should be no more that 12 inches from the back of the radio). You can easily find these radios at a salvage yard. You may be able to drive your car with the radio removed, go to the salvage yard and plug one in to your car to make sure it works. Salvage yards charge $15 for a radio. Or you can buy an aftermarket radio, AND installation kit.

You never know, maybe the wire harness connectors came out and they just need plugged back in, but I doubt it. I have a 1990 Buick LeSabre and the radio doesn't work well either.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2004, 10:45 PM
buickmastermind's Avatar
buickmastermind buickmastermind is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No sound!

Get one out of an 87-90 cadillac. The one with the 5-band eaqualizer on it. Way, way more stereo for the same price. Never distorts the sound. The brackets are different, but it us the same stereo, so just take the bracket off the existing one.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2004, 03:48 PM
OniEmu OniEmu is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No sound!

I have a 1992 LeSabre Limited, and I can't get the trim off. When I try to pry off the exterior-most trim, it breaks the small clips in the back. Is this suppose to happen or am I doing something wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2004, 05:36 PM
buickmastermind's Avatar
buickmastermind buickmastermind is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 453
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No sound!

The trim is actually breaking off? If you already have it off, I guess you should try to find if it screwed in somewhere. Not sure if this also appllies to teh 92 LeSabre, but I think that the black piece of trim around the climate control should just pop off. under it are torx that just screw off. Usually plastic pieces of trim are being held on with screws somewhere.
__________________
1986 LeSabre Limited L67 sleeper

Fully ported & polished, shift kit, CAI, F41 polyurethane suspension, headers & 3" exhuast,
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2004, 07:01 AM
OniEmu OniEmu is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No sound!

thanks, ill try to do it again after school, stupid trim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2004, 11:48 AM
pirho451 pirho451 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacynth
The display doesn't even work, except for the clock. I've tried replacing the fuse, but that doesn't work.
Y'know, there are 2 fuses that run the stereos in the late 80's full-size FWD's. My mom used to have an '87 Olds 98 that had a similar problem. If I remember correctly, the other fuse that can cause the exact same problem you're talking about is for the interior lights. Why GM decided to use 2 fuses to run the stereo I'll never know. You may want to check that one as well (I don't know which one but your owner's manual should be able to tell you).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-19-2004, 03:55 PM
creslevi creslevi is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
Check out the link below, A picture is worth athousand words, Hope it helps.
Rick



http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...ickElectra.htm
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts