-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Integra
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Ntegra Dryvr Ntegra Dryvr is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ntegra Dryvr
Question Engine being replaced ~ Type R?

I have a 99 GS Integra and the other night I was driving along with my basically stock car with my filter on my throttle body not even a cold or short ram intake. My ghetto version ; ). Well long story short I flooded my engine and need a new one. My insurance company is replacing it, if I can pull it off I would like to get a Type R dropped in. Is there anything I need to know or should look for when acura tries to bs their way out of this one? The motor should drop right in correct? Thanks in advance to everyones replies.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2003, 07:40 PM
swedish swedish is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I doubt that your engine needs to be replaced because you "flooded" it, by which I assume you mean sucking water in through your ghetto intake. But regardless of why you're replacing it, I don't think Acura is gonna foot the bill as the two engines have different part #'s (yours is a b18c1, a type r is b18c5) and prices. If you know someone at a shop, they may be able to pull it off, but even then the chances are slim to nil.
__________________
"One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2003, 07:43 PM
B16EJ1's Avatar
B16EJ1 B16EJ1 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,571
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The motor will drop in with a new ECU and wiring harness . Are they replacing the motor and tranny or just the longblock? In any case, the only way I see it happening is if you can find a Type R longblock or complete swap for the same cost as just a replacement B18B1?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Ntegra Dryvr Ntegra Dryvr is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ntegra Dryvr
Acura would be replacing it witha brand new engine. I took my car to a trusted local shop and they couldnt even turn it over with a breaker bar and said that it might be cheaper to get a new engine. I'm not complaining at all. All I want to know is if I can simply drop the new engine in, same tranny, etc etc. Thanks for your replies
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2003, 07:52 PM
94tegRS's Avatar
94tegRS 94tegRS is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yes it will drop right in using the mounts and tranny, but you need the harness and ECU to have vtec. and I dont htink acura will put in a B18C5 when your !B18B1! is under warranty.
__________________
current
-84 datsun 720 4x4(2nd time)-93 accord-90 camry V6-90 warrior-94 300ex
history:
-01 R1-04 daytona 600-94 teg RS-95 teg LS
-91 teg RS-92 teg GSR-94 civic CX hatch (3 times)
-94 civic DX-96 civic HX-97 Accord LX-72 superbeetle
-74 beetle-84 silverado-66 c10-74 maverick-78 280z
-84 200sx-86 tercel wagon-95 mustang V6
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Ntegra Dryvr Ntegra Dryvr is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ntegra Dryvr
actually my car isnt under warranty we are having it done there so that the new engine is though. Acura also said that the transmission won't fit on a Type R which I think is BS but maybe what they mean is my GS transmission cant handle the type r motor. Which is true? Can my tranny handle the type r motor? And finally im dumb, does anyone know the horsepower ratings a gs tranny can handle? Thanks for your replies again.

Last edited by Ntegra Dryvr; 09-04-2003 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-2003, 11:36 PM
loesch8102's Avatar
loesch8102 loesch8102 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 480
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to loesch8102
I think what you should do is when the insurance company gives you that bid fat check, go try to get lucky and find a junk yard motor or some cheap, (not from Acura), motor with low mileage and spend the extra cash for a turbo and internals.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2003, 12:34 AM
94tegRS's Avatar
94tegRS 94tegRS is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the B18C5 will bolt to your (i think S80 or Y80) transmission, and it should handle the power, i mean there isnt really too much torque going to any internal part of the tranny instantaneously which to me it sems like a big torquey engine that wants those wheels turning RIGHT NOW might due some damage, but a 1.8 dont exactly fit that category, but it is gonna spin alot faster in there, maybe it cant handle that. dunno, but I personally think it would handle it.

and i agree, get the insurance check, screw the acura dealership (WAY overpriced) and swap in a B18c5 from hmotors or somthing, complete swap would probably cost less than a B18b1 longblock from a dealer. or are they just rebuilding yours and warrantying (sp?) it.
__________________
current
-84 datsun 720 4x4(2nd time)-93 accord-90 camry V6-90 warrior-94 300ex
history:
-01 R1-04 daytona 600-94 teg RS-95 teg LS
-91 teg RS-92 teg GSR-94 civic CX hatch (3 times)
-94 civic DX-96 civic HX-97 Accord LX-72 superbeetle
-74 beetle-84 silverado-66 c10-74 maverick-78 280z
-84 200sx-86 tercel wagon-95 mustang V6
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-05-2003, 07:28 AM
Ntegra Dryvr Ntegra Dryvr is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ntegra Dryvr
Not exactally sure what they are doing but I will be able to tell you tomorrow. As for going to a salvage or taking the money is a no go. The car isnt totalled so they wont give me the check they will give it to whoever is fixing it price doesnt matter entirely. I just hope I can get away with a type r motor. If not I will pay the difference so I hope its not a hella lot more : \. And I'd like the warranty on the engine, im pretty dumb sometimes lol. Basically all I need to know is if my tranny out of a b18b1 will handle a type r. Thats still kinda up in the air , but I imagine it would......
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 PM
90gs's Avatar
90gs 90gs is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to 90gs
Re: Engine being replaced ~ Type R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntegra Dryvr
actually my car isnt under warranty we are having it done there so that the new engine is though. Acura also said that the transmission won't fit on a Type R which I think is BS but maybe what they mean is my GS transmission cant handle the type r motor. Which is true? Can my tranny handle the type r motor? And finally im dumb, does anyone know the horsepower ratings a gs tranny can handle? Thanks for your replies again.
auto trannies are good to 200whp, manual trannies are good for a lot more... dont remember the exact # though.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-05-2003, 11:57 PM
90gs's Avatar
90gs 90gs is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to 90gs
Re: Engine being replaced ~ Type R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94tegRS
warrantying (sp?)
not a word
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-06-2003, 01:59 AM
94tegRS's Avatar
94tegRS 94tegRS is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
try number 2

just rebuilding yours and warranting it

???

am i right?
__________________
current
-84 datsun 720 4x4(2nd time)-93 accord-90 camry V6-90 warrior-94 300ex
history:
-01 R1-04 daytona 600-94 teg RS-95 teg LS
-91 teg RS-92 teg GSR-94 civic CX hatch (3 times)
-94 civic DX-96 civic HX-97 Accord LX-72 superbeetle
-74 beetle-84 silverado-66 c10-74 maverick-78 280z
-84 200sx-86 tercel wagon-95 mustang V6
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Ntegra Dryvr Ntegra Dryvr is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ntegra Dryvr
ne ways u guys lost me, waranty. there better?? lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-06-2003, 03:36 PM
94tegRS's Avatar
94tegRS 94tegRS is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i know it5 wil be covered under "warranty" but i was trying to find out what word would have replaced warrantying where i was trying to use it.
__________________
current
-84 datsun 720 4x4(2nd time)-93 accord-90 camry V6-90 warrior-94 300ex
history:
-01 R1-04 daytona 600-94 teg RS-95 teg LS
-91 teg RS-92 teg GSR-94 civic CX hatch (3 times)
-94 civic DX-96 civic HX-97 Accord LX-72 superbeetle
-74 beetle-84 silverado-66 c10-74 maverick-78 280z
-84 200sx-86 tercel wagon-95 mustang V6
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Integra


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts