Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pump Module

jazzman145
12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Here's the story: My 2003 Saturn L200 needed a new fuel pump module assembly this week, so I got towed to the local auto shop that serviced my vehicles for the past few years (people I know and recognize). The cost of the part ended up being $598.46, but every website and auto part store has them at about $300.00. The total bill with labor was $863.85 for one part!?

So, I am at a bit of a dilemma here... Did I get screwed by people I thought I could trust, or do these things just get marked up that much through a garage? Thanks for reading!

Also, there is a fan that seems to be running all the time now that the part has been installed. Why would that happen only now?

kknobl
02-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Here's the story: My 2003 Saturn L200 needed a new fuel pump module assembly this week, so I got towed to the local auto shop that serviced my vehicles for the past few years (people I know and recognize). The cost of the part ended up being $598.46, but every website and auto part store has them at about $300.00. The total bill with labor was $863.85 for one part!?

Personally, I think that these shops think they can charge a premium for these kinds of things now that Saturn is gone...

I do have one question, since I'm in a similar situation - I was told that I needed the same thing but that they needed to replace the fuel tank itself in addition to the module. Is this what you were told?? Or is the shop (that I thought I could trust) trying to majorly hose me??

Add your comment to this topic!