Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intermittent Indicator Problem

eliza61
05-12-2008, 07:31 PM
About 6 weeks ago I bought my daughter a 1998 Hyundia Excel X3 GLX 4 door (or it could be considered 5 door not too sure) The car has done fairly low kms (100,000) and has been running well.

However, over the weekend the indicators stopped working...we had just driven aound 30 km when they stopped....we had no indicator lights on the dash and no clicking sound....we headed home and after about 5 km they started working again...only to fail again shortly after.

As the car is still under a used car warrantly I contacted the car yard the next morning and they arranged for a tow truck to collect the car as the indicators were still not working. Of course when I reversed the car out of my driveway to let the guy drive it on to the truck the indicators started working again...the car still went to the mechanics but has not faulted at all over the last 24 hours.

FYI - if I switch the hazard lights on then I get lights on the dash and the clicking sound....the only time the indicators were not working was when you actually had to use them as indicators. I suggested to the mechanic that he send it to an auto-electrician but he said there was no point if it was not faulting and that they need it to fault to fix it.

I have major concerns here as the car belongs to my 16 year old daughter who is a very inexperienced driver...it was bad enough for me driving it home the other day with no indicators I do not want her to have to experience that.

Any suggestion/advice

sparkeykev
01-12-2011, 06:35 AM
perhaps faulty indicator unit (flasher unit ) also check the hazard switch

Add your comment to this topic!