Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SilvrEclipse's Motor Build

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

SilvrEclipse
02-20-2008, 10:11 PM
When Im beside a cop I make a point to spool the turbo in every gear and let the bov go right at his window. Its even better if he has his windows down... haha

vanilla gorilla
02-20-2008, 10:31 PM
When Im beside a cop I make a point to spool the turbo in every gear and let the bov go right at his window. Its even better if he has his windows down... haha

I wish I could do that...but you cant really hear mine. Recirculated doo doo.

Black99GST
02-21-2008, 12:13 AM
when i'm just crusin, i shift about... lol 1800....maybe.... and if their is a cop... i usually just drive... not to many cops out here anyway... :naughty:

I wish I could do that...but you cant really hear mine. Recirculated doo doo.

mines recirculated, and its LOUD still! (Type-S)

MazdaX
02-21-2008, 01:58 AM
This ones for you bro -

https://www.horsepowerparts.com/index.php?content_id=175&product_id=906

https://www.horsepowerparts.com/images/products/closeups/SCE/90959.jpg

SilvrEclipse
02-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Im just going to put a MLS headgasket back on, that seems to be what everyone uses. I have heard bad things about copper headgaskets.

SilvrEclipse
02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Ok you guys wanted some more pics. Im working on porting the head right now. Will have update pics by the first of next week. But in the mean time here are some pics I had on my phone.

This is right after I got my external wastegate on and I stopped by sonic to show my friends. Well as soon as I pull into the parking lot I park the car and pop the hood. I open the hood and look down to see oil shooting out the oil return line. (car is still running via turbo timer) I yelled to my friends to turn the car off, luckily the return line didn't slip off till I parked, so I only lost about 1qt. The parts store was right accross the street so we got some oil and a hose clamp and fix it in the parking lot.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/OilLeak.jpg?t=1203623378

Dont really know what to say about this one.... I got a hold of some car paint, the kind in a spray can but washes off, and lets just say I wanted to have some fun with the honda. Haha, it was hilarious watching people as I drive into school the next day. The other side said 'Got Boost?'
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/ClipseVTEC.jpg?t=1203623830

Enjoy

david-b
02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I would never do that. HAHA. That's funny.

At least you seen the oil leak early and not after driving for an hour. That would suck. Looks like it's SS line time. Speaking of which, I've got 4 extra feet laying around.... eh?

SilvrEclipse
02-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Its going to be changed to a braided steel line. You wouldn't have to have any 10-an line laying around?

Black99GST
02-21-2008, 02:37 PM
lol love the v-tec... but i must agree with david-B.... i would never do that!

david-b
02-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Naw just 6an

2.3L_turbo
02-21-2008, 03:47 PM
The cylinder walls are actually in really good shape. The block wouldn't need to be bored if it weren't for my 20 over pistons.

And thor is just jealous cause that he has an ugly yard orniment instead of a sexy 2g.

:nono: lmao i love the look of the 2g dont get me wrong but the 1st gen is were it all started lol and they aint no yard orniment lol beside wat gen is the fastest street legal car out there lol the 1st gen of my fav driver out there John Shephard lmao! not meaning to rag on u lol

david-b
02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
:nono: lmao i love the look of the 2g dont get me wrong but the 1st gen is were it all started lol and they aint no yard orniment lol beside wat gen is the fastest street legal car out there lol the 1st gen of my fav driver out there John Shephard lmao! not meaning to rag on u lol

http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/sick0019.gif
This post sounds like what he's ^^^ doing

JoeShmoe
02-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Props for the paint job, LMFAO. That intercooler looks sexy as hell. Damn, thats a lot of oil on the ground man, good thing you caught it early enough.

Black99GST
02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
That intercooler looks sexy as hell. Damn, thats a lot of oil on the ground man, good thing you caught it early enough.
:1: if it wasnt for all the oil on the ground, that would be a SEXY pic to share... but if you share it as is, everyone will rag on the DSM's reputaion for being... the "shit" :icon16: just like my video on streetfire when i'm running my car right after running sea foam through it, and i stated that in the beginning of the video... comments were like "typical eclipse peace of shit! smoking and about to die" Bastereds! then my computer wont let me log in to post replys so i couldnt defend my baby! be carefull with media involving your car not running EXACTLY perfect! :2cents:

SilvrEclipse
02-22-2008, 11:04 AM
People can rag on eclipses all they wont, but when they get smoked by one they might have second thoughts.

david-b
02-22-2008, 11:12 AM
People can rag on eclipses all they wont, but when they get smoked by one they might have second thoughts.

No, they would just say that they bogged the launch or the Eclipse cheated.

SilvrEclipse
02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
That why I prefer to race from a roll. Then the launch doesn't factor in and you really get to see whos car is faster.

david-b
02-22-2008, 01:07 PM
That why I prefer to race from a roll. Then the launch doesn't factor in and you really get to see whos car is faster.

Ya but then factor in a heavy, N/T car and suddenly going from a roll sucks. I'll keep my "off-the-line" races thank you.

Black99GST
02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Ya but then factor in a heavy, N/T car and suddenly going from a roll sucks. I'll keep my "off-the-line" races thank you.
thats only a factor if you are infact N/T... :smokin:

SilvrEclipse
02-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Ok I have gotten some more work done this week. The intake side of the head is ported for the most part. I got to touch up a few spots and then polish it up. Im going to pic up my old exhaust gasket this weekend, then I will be able to port the exhaust side of the head. Spring break is in 2 weeks, Im going to try and have the head at a machine shop after that sometime.

That other thread got me thinking about upgrading the TB again. I have always wanted to do it but didnt ever go through with it. Anyways I scored a used jeep 60mm TB off ebay for $19.xx shipped with all the sensors. It came in this week so I have also been working on that. Once that gets finished I believe I will be putting it on the car now to make sure it works right.

The jeep TB tappers off to about 56mm after the valve for some reason, you can see this in the pic out the back gets smaller. I ported that tapper out so now its a full 60mm all the way through.

Here are some pics to entertain you guys.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2486.jpg?t=1204052492

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2479.jpg?t=1204052927

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2484.jpg?t=1204052952

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2485.jpg?t=1204052967

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2487.jpg?t=1204052987

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2490.jpg?t=1204053005

david-b
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Looks good. Damn great price on the 60. So the IM had to be port-matched to the TB right? Looks like its biggest is what, 55mm?

SilvrEclipse
02-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes the intake mani will get ported out to 60mm. Im going to mount the TB first so that the port lines up perfect. If my holes aren't exactly centered on the TB then the TB may shift a little.

JoeShmoe
02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Damn I missed a good bit of this thread. Thanks for keeping us entertained.

Dave-I think me and you are the N/T guys that post more here on the forum. Our cars are not slow, not from a complete stop anywways. Yeah once its rolling, hell I don't want to get into that.

Silver-You're doing a sweet job on the porting man, its really coming out good. Every port is being matched right? What are you going to do for the header?

SilvrEclipse
02-27-2008, 07:44 AM
There isin't much I can do to the turbo manifold, I ported it some when we made it. Im just going to gasket match the ports and call it good.

JoeShmoe
02-27-2008, 07:52 AM
There isin't much I can do to the turbo manifold, I ported it some when we made it. Im just going to gasket match the ports and call it good.

Yeah, thats what I was going to ask. You made it?

SilvrEclipse
02-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Yup, its just a log manifold. We just welded two 90 degree bends and two T's to the flange. Torched a hole of the turbo flange and welded that on to.

JoeShmoe
02-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Thats pretty sweet, looks like it fits somewhat tight. Have you seen these?
http://www.x-factorturbo.com/popup_image.php?pID=697

SilvrEclipse
02-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Yea I have seen those before. It looks good but they are pretty expensive

JoeShmoe
02-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Its very pricy, but man that thing looks like a fire breathing dragon. It would fit your setup right?

SilvrEclipse
02-27-2008, 08:27 AM
No, my turbo is mounted differently than that one is. It could be made to fit but my exhaust would have to be changed.

david-b
02-27-2008, 08:30 AM
You usually have to move the fans and/or radiator some. I want to get something like that if/when I ever do mine. Some cheapos, like the OBX have a problem with cracking.

JoeShmoe
02-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Yeahm thats what I thougt for N/Ts. We barely have any room to work as is, a turbo setup would just make things worse.

SilvrEclipse
02-27-2008, 09:06 AM
:headshake It only gets worse...

david-b
02-27-2008, 09:43 AM
What are you talking about we have no room to work? It's like working in a big loose.... well you get the point. There's alot of space though. And once you take out the A/C fan, I can stand in the engine bay between the radiator and the header. Takes some time to get my big-ass feet in there, but it's doable.

Now if we want to talk about tight spaces, along the firewall behind the IM is terrible. Especially with the Fuel Filter, lines, brake booster, all that crap back there. I hate working back there.

JoeShmoe
02-27-2008, 10:23 AM
What are you talking about we have no room to work? It's like working in a big loose.... well you get the point. There's alot of space though. And once you take out the A/C fan, I can stand in the engine bay between the radiator and the header. Takes some time to get my big-ass feet in there, but it's doable.

Now if we want to talk about tight spaces, along the firewall behind the IM is terrible. Especially with the Fuel Filter, lines, brake booster, all that crap back there. I hate working back there.

Well my car was in an accident before I bought it. So shit is crapped together, I'll take some pics and show you guys what I mean. Hell I have more space behind the IM than I do up front.:banghead:

Black99GST
02-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Well my car was in an accident before I bought it. So shit is crapped together, I'll take some pics and show you guys what I mean. Hell I have more space behind the IM than I do up front.:banghead:
wow! that sucks!

rs97eclipse1695
03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/ClipseVTEC.jpg?t=1203623830

DUDE! what wheels are those...i was looking at a pair that are almost IDENTICAL by drifz. Sexy :thumbsup:

JoeShmoe
03-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Any update silver?

SilvrEclipse
03-06-2008, 06:57 AM
The wheels are made by REV.

The head is finished, ported and polished. I got a set of topline vavles coming in Friday. Hopefully next week I will be able to get the head to a machine shop. I may get some pics up later today.

Im working on the intake manifold now. Im pretty much done porting it but I got to get all that carbon out of it. Still trying to figure out how thats going to work out. That stuff is caked in there about 1/8" thick.

Thor06
03-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Soak 'er in degreaser or gasoline or something. If you really want it clean that bad you could just have the machinist hot tank the bitch.

SilvrEclipse
03-06-2008, 07:57 AM
I found that tire cleaner works well. But to get the stuff off you have to scrub it some. I think I might fab up some kind of small brush with a long handle that will go into the manifold and clean most of that stuff out.

wrightz28
03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
. I think I might fab up some kind of small brush with a long handle that will go into the manifold and clean most of that stuff out.

Baby bottle brush :thumbsup:

JoeShmoe
03-07-2008, 08:28 PM
YEah, oven fleaner is really good with that man. And props for the baby bottle brush.

SilvrEclipse
03-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Update on the motor progress.

Dont really remember where I left off but the head was ported and polished. My set of topline valves came in the mail. Head was taken to the machine shop on Wednesday to get the valves seats regrinded and the head cleaned. Have gotten it back yet but it should be ready on Monday. I will already be back at school by then so I wont be able to assemble it for a couple weeks.

Ordered a full gasket set which will be here next week. Also in the next few weeks I will be ordering the oil pump, water pump, tensioner, timing belt and pulleys, and maybe some APR headstuds.

JoeShmoe
03-17-2008, 06:40 AM
School? Are you away from home for school? You know, like rent?

SilvrEclipse
03-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Yes I am away from home at school. My parents pay rent though.

SilvrEclipse
03-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Full gasket kit came in for the motor today. Waiting to get paid to before ordering a few more. In the next week or two most of the remaining parts will be on the way. The machine shop hasn't called me yet. They have had the head for a week now. I am going to give them a call tomorrow and see if its done yet. If it is I will have my dad pick it up tomorrow. I will be making a trip home this weekend for easter so I will be able to pick it up.

More pics will be up soon.

SilvrEclipse
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Pick up the head from the shop. I have the valve seats regrinded and cleaned. The valve stem seals, valves, springs, retainers will be installed this week. That will make the head completely finished.
The intake manifold is almost done, the lower half is finished and the 60mm hole is done. I just have to finish the runners on the upper half. TB is done with what I can do. I have to take the stock one apart to finish it completely and that wont be done till I pull the motor.

Rods are here and ready to be installed on the pistons. Gasket kit is here also. More parts are on the way as well. Topline oil pump, topline timing belt, and ARP headstuds will be here in the next week. That just leaves a handful of parts left to order, next week everything should be order except for the bearings. The crank will need to go to the machine shop first.

The only thing I have left to do is pull the bedplate off the block and get the crank out. Im going to sandblast the block and then take it and the crank to the machine shop. Paint the block and then assemble it. I dont really have that much left to do.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2497.jpg?t=1206459500

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2499.jpg?t=1206459525

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2502.jpg?t=1206459552

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2501.jpg?t=1206459580

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2503.jpg?t=1206459599

david-b
03-25-2008, 10:43 AM
That head looks like mine when she came back. Can eat off it it!!

Why did you go with a TopLine TB instead of OEM?

SilvrEclipse
03-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Why did you go with a TopLine TB instead of OEM?

I dont really know. I just ordered it along with the other parts. I know some people say only use OEM belts, I have seen just as many OEM belts break as knock off belts. Most of the time the belts break because of something else going wrong so it would break the timing belt regardless. Topline is a good company so why not go with theirs.

SilvrEclipse
03-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Intake manifold is done being ported and polished. It will be completely finished up today. Turned out pretty good IMO. Props to Joe for the oven cleaner idea. That shit takes it right off with very little scrubbing. I believe just cleaning all the carbon out the intake will help it flow a lot better. I may be able to get some pics up before the weekend. I will be busy with school and cleaning up the car for the South Meet that none of yall f*ckers are coming to.

JoeShmoe
03-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Intake manifold is done being ported and polished. It will be completely finished up today. Turned out pretty good IMO. Props to Joe for the oven cleaner idea. That shit takes it right off with very little scrubbing. I believe just cleaning all the carbon out the intake will help it flow a lot better. I may be able to get some pics up before the weekend. I will be busy with school and cleaning up the car for the South Meet that none of yall f*ckers are coming to.

Yeah, no prob. Want to see some more pics, nice rods/pistons. Don't know if you mentioned this yet, but waht are you doing about cams?

SilvrEclipse
03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Stock cams for now. Stock cams work pretty well with a turbo on these motors. I probably wont ever upgrade, I cant see spending that much on them and only gain a little bit of power. Plus, after I get this motor in I will need to buy a 1:1 FPR, Megasquirt, and some big injectors. O and a new turbo.

Hopefully when I sell the old block and fuel setup I will be able to pay for most of the new parts.

ARP headstuds just came in.

JoeShmoe
03-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Cool, what size injectors?

SilvrEclipse
03-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Not real sure yet. Maybe some 750s or something.

david-b
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
<<< Needs fuel setup. And block. Ill take it off your hands this weekend :evillol:

SilvrEclipse
03-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately none of it will be ready this weekend. But you can see everything and decide if you want to go that route with the fuel system.

david-b
03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
It's ok if it's "not ready". I'm going to save on shipping and just pull the block tomorrow and take it home with me. Deal? Deal! So I'm packed and ready to go. We need to go Laser Tagging BTW.

SilvrEclipse
03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
We can do the laser tag thing on Saturday. There is one not to far from the camp site. I dont know how good it is though. There is also mini golf at the same place. It should be fun.

JoeShmoe
03-27-2008, 02:27 PM
What time you leaving dave?

Add your comment to this topic!