Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need some help

rpz123isme
10-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Ok here is my problem!! I have the oppertunity to buy a 1988 300zx n/a for $200$ the motor has 6 percent leak down which is awsome! The trans is blown ) ; I need to know what transmissions will bolt to that car! it is currently automatic! I would like to make it manuel! will a 240sx trans fit! or possibly a hardbody trans or even a newer zx trans! I just can't seem to find a 88 zx man/trans for a good price! If a 240 trans will work whats the pro's con's ! any info would be great i am new to the nissan world so forgive me if i have asked a ? that has been asked befor! I am just trying to figure out if this car will be worth my while! Thanks

CronuSurtr
10-18-2007, 01:50 AM
OK... the 240sx tranny will work, kinda, you need the bell housing from the 300zx tranny, then it should line up right, the only thing is you might have to change the rear axel, depending on the ratio... dunno for sure, im more of a 240z-280zx man myself... (i think the 300zx's were a step in the wrong direction) but still, good luck...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t521033.html

that might help some, pretty much the same topic from the other side.:grinyes:

rpz123isme
10-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Thanks a bunch! I have a few more ? to ask! is the bell housing from the 300zx auto trans ok to bolt to the 240 trans! and by changing the axel you mean rear end? because my buddy has a 24o parts car and i want to get all the parts at once! any input would help thanks!!!!!!!!!

CronuSurtr
10-19-2007, 09:33 AM
yes you MIGHT have to change the rear end... I don't really know I've never done it. It's all based on the gear ratio's of the tranny, versus the axle, and the splines on the drive shaft. but after looking around, I have concluded That I wouldn't suggest such a swap... cause it's much more popular to put a 300zx tranny on the 240sx, because the 240sx has a rather flimsy tranny, so if your going to put any extra ponies under the hood, or drive it hard, I would suggest spending that bit extra for the 300zx tranny, they're much more well built, and will last forever unless mistreated.

rpz123isme
10-24-2007, 01:41 AM
I have purchased the man trans from an 85 300zx and i have the pedal slave ect! the trans is in but i can not find a driveshaft long anough for my car with a manuel housing! it is a four seater! i am going to try and mate the two drive shafts together! i have one from the yard and the og trans! any suggestions! And fyi for anyone doing this type of swapp there are two wires that go to the old linkage that will need to be jumped together for the car to start! red/yellow stripe and black/blue stipe and it starts up! i will try to put some pictures on here once i get a little more fimalure with this site!

CronuSurtr
10-24-2007, 04:43 AM
you might need a custom fit shaft for that... i dunno if the combined one would work well under the shear stress, but go for it... all you have to lose is the work that went into mating them...

stprasinz
10-24-2007, 07:33 AM
a CUSTOM SHAFT SHOULDN'T COST OVER 200 complete... That would be a death trap, 2 driveshafts (I'm guessing) welded together.......
What if you are going down the highway and downshift???? snap the shaft.. it goes through the floor board and if your lucky (and odds are youcouldn't be this lucky) only the car is hurt(floor ripped about 6" wide 2' long and back out the roof... now if you have a t top (chances are you do) now its gonna hit the glass and shatter that..) and all of this means you are lucky and even luckier if nothing such as a fuel or brake line doesnt get ripped out on the way through and you either a catch fire or not be able to stop as a result

long story short spend the money on a custom driveshaft

CronuSurtr
10-24-2007, 10:26 AM
yeah that's what i ws gonna say... but the death and maiming details seemed a lil' much.:eek:

rpz123isme
10-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Wow calm down!!!! I Didn't just welding two drive shafts together! I took the automatic driveshaft(proper length) and had the transmission side cut off at the factory weld!! than i took the manuel driveshaft and cut at the same spot~ took that (manuel yoke) and it was welded and balanced with the auto shaft! And painted pink for sh!#S and giggles! lol!!!! fyi all the fabrications where done by drive line in hesperia CA! they specialize in custome shafts and it cost a pretty penny to have my work done! Also I finished the car up and drove it around a bit! run's great shifts smooth and has no vibration! I am pretty happy with the work that was performed!

rpz123isme
11-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey that 300zx is going up for $$$$$$$$$$$ it run's great has a small oil leak! other than that the car is running great! body wise the paint is perfict with the excption of the front bumper, its fixable (recomend a new one) kelly blue book range was 4500(great)-3400(fair) i am asking $1800$ because of the leak and bumper! all tires match 85% front, 65% rear, passed smog in feb 07(that is on the buyer as well) has an aftermarket cd player t-tops and its a 2+2 man tran non turbo! breaks are 800 miles old~stops on a dime! the car is in the so-cal area if you want to take a look at it call robert @ (909) 767-9984 (so~cal) high desert/ fontana area

Add your comment to this topic!