Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

codes P0171, P0174 Lincoln LS V6"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gwells
05-29-2006, 12:30 PM
I got the engine check light a month or so and thought it was a case of bad gas but unsure now. It starting to stall at idle. Just stops with no warning. running like a kitten to off. Thanks.

Geoffrey Wells
2001 LS V6

shorod
05-29-2006, 10:05 PM
P0171 is System Too Lean (Bank 1) and P0174 is System Too Lean (Bank 2). Per the service manual, these are some items to check:
Fuel system
Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
Vapor recovery system.
Induction system:
Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum Leaks.
PCV system.
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
EGR system:
Leaking gasket.
Stuck EGR valve.
Leaking diaphragm or EVR.
Base Engine:
Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss. I think this subject has come up before on this forum. You may want to use the search feature for this forum and see what other's have found to resolve the issue.

When you determine your problem, please post back with your resolution as well.

Good luck!

-Rod

Quik_LS
05-30-2006, 02:24 PM
very common issue on the V6 - the little rubber elbow on the PVC wears through. Unfortunately it is a pain to get at - as it's under the intake manifold. Not too difficult for a DIYer, but working in cramped quarters.

gwells
06-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Update. I have done the gas additive and no help. Also, checked PCV and no issues. I have borrowed a scantool called AutoEnginuity and have more data. It looks like the problem is at idle. Per the diag tool it shows:
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
Module: Fuel and Air Metering
Freeze Frame (Frame 0)
Calculated Load: 28%
Coolant Temp: 203F
Engine RPM: 757 r/min
Fuel System Status Bank One: Closed Loop
Fuel System Status Bank Two: Not Reported
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank One: 24.96%
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank Two: 24.96%
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank One: 31.98%
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank Two: 28.86%
Vehicle Speed: 0 MPH
P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)
Module: Fuel and Air Metering

Towncar
06-30-2006, 01:19 PM
On my Town Car (same two codes), after going through EVERYTHING else first, I found the MAF sensor to be the culprit.

Pulled it out, it was absolutely filthy, cleaned it up, reset the OBD system, no problems after that.

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/sdhartney/images/thumbs/MAF03.jpg (http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/sdhartney/images/MAF03.jpg) http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/sdhartney/images/thumbs/MAFWires03.jpg (http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/sdhartney/images/MAFWires03.jpg)

gwells
06-30-2006, 02:03 PM
That piece looks fine. I am going to check the EGR vavle next.

gwells
06-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Ok. I went to the lcal Auto Zone and they don't carry LS book. Where is the EGR valve located and who carries a Chilton like book for the 2001 LS?

gwells
07-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Bought the repair CD for 2001 Ford models and found the Fuel filter. Replaced. No help brought to Good year $50 for diagnosis and Fuel pump is 98% issue. machanic said 8 psi fuel levels and my new manual shows 30-65 psi. looking at $230 for new lifetime. I will let all know if it is problem.

Towncar
07-15-2006, 09:49 PM
...looking at $230 for new lifetime. I...

OUCH !!

mopar440man
08-05-2006, 01:27 AM
had the same problem i replaced the spark plugs , coil, valve cover gaskets and then it was still doing the same thing i took it to the dealship my uncle works at and they said the ecu needs to be replaced im still looking for a used on the new one is 800 to have them put it in

GFORCEBOYS
01-14-2007, 01:57 PM
I Have A 2000 Ls W/130000+ Miles Had Car For 2 Years No Problems Till 3wks Ago P0171/p0174 Took Apart Intake Manifold Found 2 Oil Soaked Plugs 4 Spark Plug Boots Sweled Pcv Was Verey Dirty Elbow From Pcv Was Cracked Egr Valve Was Also Verey Dirty Throtell Body Dirty. Replaced Plugs/pcv Valve/spark Plug Boots/ Broken Elbow From Pcv Valve /cleaned Throtell Body /egr Valve /put Fuel Injector Cleaner Waiting On 1 Part From Dealer To Check And See If Problem Solved. Not Any Easy Task If You Your Not Mechanicly Inclined Any Qustions Ask

Stylez850
06-15-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm about to give up on this car now. I also have a 2001 ls v6. I'm having alot of the same problems. When it idles for more then 3 seconds it will start to shake like a cylinder was misfiring, then after about 30 seconds with out giving it any gas it will just cutoff. I've noticed that the rpms gauge will be jump lightly below the normal idle rpms. I've changed the spark plugs, the o2 sensors and it still happens. Just got it back from the dealership and they are telling me that I have lean codes on both banks, misfire codes, and egr codes. One things they were able to identify was a vacuum leak coming from connection at rear of engine under lower intake and egr vacuum regulators resistance is out of range. They still don't know what would happen if those two things get fixed. Hopefully somebody might be able to give me more insight before I lose it and blow that thing up:banghead: . Over here in hawaii it will cost $826 just to change those two things so another issue is breakin' my bank.:2cents: Thank you guys

shorod
06-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Sounds like the vacuum leak they were able to identify is the PCV elbow, which appears to be a pretty common issue on these. I changed the one on my wife's '02. It wasn't fun, but is possible with common hand tools. That would likely fix the lean codes. I suppose there is a chance that the vacuum leak is also preventing the EGR from working properly, but I wouldn't expect it to cause the regulator to report out of range. That seems like either a part issue (likely) or a wiring issue (less likely, unless your car spends a lot of time at the beach).

-Rod

Stylez850
08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
I just changed the EGR vacuum solenoid and now it idles longer till it cuts off but will still rattle like a cylinder is misfiring. Would that vacuum leak cause the car to shake like a misfire and then cut off?

Stylez850
08-02-2007, 11:08 PM
OH YEAH!!! Now that I changed that egr vacuum solenoid, I feel a stutter somewhere around 48 mph. That never happened until I changed that part. What is goin' on with this evil machine:evillol: ??:screwy: :banghead:

Stylez850
08-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Okay I found and changed the PCV valve and elbow. Man, that elbow was ate up!!! On the bottom of it there was a hole the size of a dime. The Dealer tried to to charge me $29 for a little rubber elbow so I ended up just getting a 90 degree angle hose with the same diameter as the one I pulled off. Boy, I wish I could slap the person that gave the okay on letting this engine go in this car. After I took the manifold off, about 30 minutes in to looking under that and fighting with all the tubes I realized that I had to take off that other middle peice with the gaskets and the PCV valve was under there. Well now that I changed it that car run GREAT!! Thank you Rod. I couldn't have done it with out you. You'd think the dealer would be able to tell me about that PCV valve and the elbow, BUT NO!!. So thank you I appreciate it.:grinyes:

shorod
08-05-2007, 11:52 PM
You're more than welcome. Actually, thank the forum. That's a tip I learned from following this forum.

Glad to hear you have the car running well again!

Enjoy!

-Rod

dhinch
02-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Do you mean you removed the Upper Intake Manifold and Gaskets, and then removed the Lower Manifold to get to the PCV valve? Let me know, doing the change in two days.

shorod
02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Yes, on the V6 you have to take apart much of the top half of the engine. The upper and lower intake manifolds, fuel rails, throttle cables, etc. all have to come off to get to the elbow. Fortunately, if you know your way around the garage and under the hood of cars, this is pretty straight forward of a job and not as bad as it may look and sound.

-Rod

dhinch
02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Eh, I just put the Intake manifold back on (had to swap the water pump)... Its the fuel rails and lower manifold that I am dreading.

KirkW
06-20-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm looking at the same issue on a friend's 2001 Lincoln LS w/3.0L V6. Same trouble codes, same symptom of a wavering idle speed that occasionally stalls.

It's almost certainly a leak in/around the PCV valve - if I unplug and cap the vacuum line at the rear of the engine, the idle immediately smooths out.

My question is this: where exactly is this infamous rubber elbow?

Looking at the rear of the engine I can see a rubber fitting to which the black plastic vacuum pipe from the throttle-body connects. This straight-rubber fitting is attached to a metal pipe that curves 90-degrees and disappears under the intake manifold plumbing. Is the rubber elbow at the other end of this metal pipe, attached directly to the PCV valve itself? Is this a dealer-only item? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before removing the upper- and lower-intake manifolds.

shorod
06-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Stylez850 describes pretty well how buried the PCV elbow is in post #16 above. You won't be able to see it from the top of the engine if the intake manifold is removed. If you'd like a picture of where it's at, send me a Private Message with an e-mail address that can accept JPEG attachments and I'll e-mail you some photos I took during the process.

-Rod

Quik_LS
06-28-2008, 10:40 AM
see my post #3 - all LS V6 will has this problem - it very very very common.

slutxbag_siouxsie
07-13-2008, 02:45 PM
My check engine light came on and my car started to stall out as well. Took it to Advance Auto Parts and had the codes pulled. Throwing the same codes. Unmetered air. At first I thought it was dirty O2 sensors or something to do with them. A mechanic told me it was probably the idle air control. Cleaned it. Gasket was fine. Cleared the codes, and the light came back on the next day. I finally took it to a shop. Spent $100 to get a smoke test, and the intake manifold was the problem. The upper intake manifold (plenum) gaskets were shot. It's between 50 and 60 bucks for the kit at an auto parts store. Also, what I did notice was there were two spots for bolts on the bottom part of the manifold, but not on the top. It's like they weren't drilled. That's exactly where it was leaking too. I'm wondering if this was a recall?

2002 Lincoln LS V6
85,000 miles

firmbiz94
07-15-2008, 11:11 AM
I have an 05 Lincoln Ls V6 and im throwing out codes indicating bad coils. I understand that i need to remove the intake manifold to get to the passenger side coils and plugs. can anyone give me a few pointers or where to start with this repair. a step by step breakdown woudld be nice. Thanks

shorod
07-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I have an 05 Lincoln Ls V6 and im throwing out codes indicating bad coils. I understand that i need to remove the intake manifold to get to the passenger side coils and plugs. can anyone give me a few pointers or where to start with this repair. a step by step breakdown woudld be nice. Thanks

If you'd like the factory service manual steps for this repair, send me a private message with an e-mail address for you that will accept PDF attachments along with the request. I can send you the procedure for a 2002 V6 which will vary a bit from your 2005 since the 2005 has throttle by wire rather than a cable like the 2002 has.

-Rod

daveLS
12-13-2008, 11:43 PM
If you'd like the factory service manual steps for this repair, send me a private message with an e-mail address for you that will accept PDF attachments along with the request. I can send you the procedure for a 2002 V6 which will vary a bit from your 2005 since the 2005 has throttle by wire rather than a cable like the 2002 has.

-Rod

Hi Rod, I'm a new member and am having the same problem with my 2002 Lincoln LS V6. Rough idle when cold, if I spray starter fluid around the upper intake manifold the idle changes speed so it must be a vacuum leak. I would really appreciate it if you could send me the PDF's for the breather elbow replacement, also I read you may have some pictures of the job documented. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

shorod
12-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi Rod, I'm a new member and am having the same problem with my 2002 Lincoln LS V6. Rough idle when cold, if I spray starter fluid around the upper intake manifold the idle changes speed so it must be a vacuum leak. I would really appreciate it if you could send me the PDF's for the breather elbow replacement, also I read you may have some pictures of the job documented. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Welcome to the forum!

The files should be in your inbox.

-Rod

daveLS
01-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I completed the replacements of the PCV elbow item 6767 of the PCV system in Ford's exploded assembly view. I also needed to replace all the intake gaskets because of their condition, if you're going to tear down the engine this much you might as well. I also changed the spark plugs while the upper intake was off since you can't get to the right side head with it on. I found the inner gasket was leaking oil into the spark plugs wells on 2 cylinders which would eventually fail the coil pack so I changed the valve cover gaskets as well. I changed the cabin filter which eliminated a slight whistle while the blower fan was running.

Overall the hardest part was disconneting the fuel rail wiring harness because the plug is in the back of the motor and you can only get 1 hand in there. Since I got it back together it runs smooth as silk and probably saved me $600 at least.

shorod
01-01-2009, 08:49 PM
For the amount of work you did, I'm comfortable saying you saved yourself well over $600 (compared with paying a shop to do the work).

Thanks for the follow-up on your successful repair, and congratulations.

-Rod

bshaw75
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I got the engine check light a month or so and thought it was a case of bad gas but unsure now. It starting to stall at idle. Just stops with no warning. running like a kitten to off. Thanks.

Geoffrey Wells
2001 LS V6
I have a question about the Codes P0171 & 74. There is a TSB on this lincoln. Can I take the car straight to a dealer to fix the problem? The TSB # is 01205 posted October 2001 regarding the 2001 Lincoln LS V6.

daveLS
01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
TSB are not usually recalls, just bulletins, and the dealer won't fix the problem for free. If you're up to it the repair is possible by a do-it-yourselfer if you have some mechanical skills. The total repair took me about 10 hours with the proper instructions.

shorod
01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Exactly what daveLS suggested, if your car is out of warranty, expect to pay full labor and parts markup to have the dealer perform service outlined in a Technical Service Bulletin. However, it shouldn't take the dealer as long to troubleshoot the owner's concerns with the existing TSB.

It sounds like the TSB you reference only helps the technician search for vacuum leaks, but is not specific to your LS or any other Ford product.

Also, I've deleted the new thread you created with this same request.

-Rod

javonte
03-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I just bought my 2000 lincoln ls v6 (89k) less than 2 months and 2k ago and the check engine light came on 2weeks ago. The codes came back p0174 & p0171. After reading this forum I believe some if not all of these problems exist. Rod can you please send me the pictures/diagram you have detailing how to fix? Best brand parts and reliable internet source to purchase from?

shorod
03-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Rod can you please send me the pictures/diagram you have detailing how to fix?

Sure, but you first need to provide me (via a private message) with an e-mail address for you that can accept PDF attachments.

-Rod

Big Silas
04-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey Guys, I've had my LS for like 4 years now and it was great up until two months ago. I was accelerating onto the highway and BAM my engine just seemed to stop accelerating and jerked hard and then it was like my transmission slipped into nuetral. I had to let off of the gas let the rpm's go down and try again. It really felt like a Transmission problem but I got the codes run and it was a Cylinder 5 misfire. Well I changed the coil pack and plug and then just recently it has been doing it again and I reran the codes and it is a Cylinder 2 Misfire. Well Just paid $300 to get all new plugs put in and a new coil for Cylinder 2. I hope getting the new plugs will fix it. With my luck who knows. Anyone familiar with this syptom?

shorod
04-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Familiar with your symptoms!?! Try searching the forum for the keyword "misfire." You'll probably max out the hits with 100. This is a very common issue with the 2000 through some of 2002 model years with a well-understood cause and correction.

In the future, please try searching the forum prior to posting. If everyone did that, you wouldn't need to look through 100 threads/posts to find your information.

-Rod

wilson21
04-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I have a 2000 lincoln ls v6 (95k), and am having problems with it. I took it in to autozone and had them check the engine. Codes P0171 and P0174 came back. Where exactly is the PCV elbow located? Can anyone send me some pics?

magooo
05-17-2009, 12:34 AM
:banghead:Hi, I had the same codes po171-po174 ,high nox readings ,flucuating idle. It was the vacuum line going to the pcv (the dreaded elbo) .If you pull the vacuum line off the right front of engine and cover the metel line ,the engine should smooth out,also if you blow into the line and you hear air that would confirm it.but instead of removing the top end wasting 8-10 hrs and 200.00 in parts we took off the bracket that joins the rubber vacuum to metal then moved a few wires to the side on the back left side of engine.Then using a mirror to see ,reached down along the left side of engine and pulled the elbo off it is really hard as it is sweated on I think (if the rubber breaks off use a small sharp carving knife to remove the last of it I just cut it by pushing knife to front of the engine ). Then take the two inch straight piece of rubber off the metal bracket that you removed ..put it on the remaining long metal and rubber vacuum line(make sure you clamp it ,I just used a plastic tie),Then re route vacuum line along right side of engine and hook it back up(you don't need the bracket ).I think that rubber piece should last longer as the oil that may get in the line will not pool like the elbo does,you just have to fiddle around with the line to make it fit and look good.It took us about one hour to do this and no parts.It is tough to get in there but with a mirror and perseverance you save a lot of time and money.Hope this helps all of you lucky ls owners,If you have any questions ,give me a call, Blair

4Jenna
07-20-2009, 01:10 AM
I am another LS owner with these same codes/issues.

Rod PM sent.

I hope this cures my issues.

-Chris

shorod
07-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Thank you for searching the forum rather than starting a new thread for this common issue!

You should have new e-mail.

-Rod

4Jenna
07-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Recieved your email, thank you very much for the help. I know what i'll be doing in the next few days :)

-Chris

CCRichie
07-21-2009, 11:09 PM
We have a 2000 Lincoln LS V6 with the same trouble. Since Rod has been so helpful to everyone else we are hoping to jump on the bandwagon.

I have taken apart entire top end, have it all exposed and do not see rubber elbow on my car. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Any chance you still have those pictures or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

shorod
07-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Yep, and welcome to the forum!

Like I mentioned a few times above, you'll need to provide me via Private Message with an e-mail address to send the files to.

-Rod

We have a 2000 Lincoln LS V6 with the same trouble. Since Rod has been so helpful to everyone else we are hoping to jump on the bandwagon.

I have taken apart entire top end, have it all exposed and do not see rubber elbow on my car. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Any chance you still have those pictures or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

4Jenna
07-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Rod is the man, I'll have an update this weekend on mine.

Rod

Thanks again for the help.

-Chris

4Jenna
07-24-2009, 11:30 PM
I pulled mine apart tonight, sure enuff my pcv elbow had a hole on the underside large enuff to stick my finger tip in.
The dealer has the new piece, I'm picking it up in the morn, and putting her back together!

Rod thanks again for the advice, and pics!

4Jenna
07-30-2009, 02:51 AM
Codes are gone, car runs smooth, and everything is back to normal.

Thanks again Rod!

-Chris

shorod
07-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Glad to hear all is well!

-Rod

LincolnLS05
08-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Rod, Can you tell me where the PCV is located on the 2005 LS6. It looks to me as though it's actually connected to the Upper Intake Manifold at the end of the PCV Hose on the drivers side. Is this correct? Could they have actually made it easier in the 05 model, since they made it so difficult in the earlier versions?

shorod
08-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Rod, Can you tell me where the PCV is located on the 2005 LS6. It looks to me as though it's actually connected to the Upper Intake Manifold at the end of the PCV Hose on the drivers side. Is this correct? Could they have actually made it easier in the 05 model, since they made it so difficult in the earlier versions?

Could be. I only have a 2002 to use as reference, along with the 2002 service manual. My 2004 was a V8 so no PCV there.

-Rod

LincolnLS05
08-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, Lincoln actually made their improvement to this model (2005 LS6), as they put the pcv valve on top of the rear upper intake manifold by the driver side. Makes things alot of easier.

LincolnLS05
08-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Well, of course my issue now is, my pcv valve is easy to get at, but the plastic elbow attached to it will not come off. Of course you google pcv elbow for 2005 LS6 and nothing comes up. Seems they try to make it hard for the DIYers to save some cash and try to get you frustrated enough to go to a dealer. Any ideas? Was thinking of trying to find abouther elbow that will fit my pcv valve. Does anyone have any idea of which elbow will fit the PCV1001 from autozone, I believe it's made by Champion. Will the autograde universal rubber vacuum elbows work?

datsbubbie
09-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but thought i would share my experiences with everyone.

Rod provided me with the perfect diagrams on the upper and lower intake manifolds. Pretty straight forward job just way too many connections and vacuum hoses LOL.

Turned out my PCV elbow didn't have a hole in it. It had been weakened to the point it basically caved in on itself. Runs great now.

Thanks ROD..

1siccls
09-21-2009, 12:35 PM
hey rod hows it going am having the same problem with my 01 ls v6 am getting the po174 system to lean bank2, and po411 secondary air injection system incorrect flow any help from you that i can use kuz these reciision go me a little tight on the wallet thank you heres my email str8balling@sbcglobal.net

shorod
09-22-2009, 06:20 AM
The details on changing out the PCV elbow should be in your inbox. As for the P0411 code, try searching the forum for details on that. You'll want to use a 'zero' rather than an 'o' in the code number. I seem to recall someone posting with a secondary air ignition issue, don't recall if they ever got it fixed though.

-Rod

koolier
10-02-2009, 09:33 AM
hi i finished changing the pcv elbow which was the fault because it was like melted and fused together in the middle. car ran good for a whole day, now second day its cutting off in same manner after idling for 5 min and cutting off while driving after a few mins (dis didnt happen before, it only cut off at idle) although this time it doesnt give me error codes. is it the hose again, i just put in a brand new pcv elbow, any help is greatly appreciated, please HELP!!!!!!

shorod
10-02-2009, 01:47 PM
That's a bummer! Did you happen to pull the coils and plugs while in there and check for signs of oil? I wouldn't expect it to be the elbow again, but it wouldn't surprise me if you have oil on the coils or a loose connection of one of the vacuum lines or intake air tubing. Did you get the vacuum connection for the DPFE vacuum regulator connected well behind the intake?

-Rod

koolier
10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
yeah everything went back good, i check the plugs as well and there was no oil in the wells, its seems like the problem is similar to before but no check engine light, perhaps the seals on the intakes need to be changed???? this is so frustrating, thanks for help

shorod
10-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Did you maybe crack one of the vacuum hoses while replacing the solenoid? Did you work on anything else while replacing the solenoid?

-Rod

koolier
10-03-2009, 09:08 AM
nah, actually im having a feeling that the pcv was not at fault all along, in this post, everyone said the pcv elbow had a hole in it, well mine had melted in the middle thus blocking off air flow, so im not sure if its the same thing, the problem of cutting off when idle is still there but now no check engine light comes on with P0171or P0174, do u think it might be egr or idle controller, thanks

Add your comment to this topic!