Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

Pages : [1] 2 3

3000ways
11-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Just how good is the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ400? This car is considered the ultimate EVO, coming from the factory with 400+ HP. We all know about the Corvette Z06 and what it can do, no stock EVO VIII could compare to a Corvette Z06 stock for stock, until now. Another great american car is the 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R, would the EVO MR FQ400 destroy the Cobra R? Which is best, the 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ400 or the 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 or the 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R?

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ400
2.0L Turbocharged 4-Cylinder
405HP@6800RPM
355TQ@5000RPM
6-Speed Manual
AWD

vs.

2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
5.7L 8-Cylinder
405HP@6000RPM
400TQ@4800RPM
6-Speed Manual
RWD

vs.

2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R
5.4L 8-Cylinder
385HP@6250RPM
385TQ@4250RPM
6-Speed Manual
RWD

kman10587
11-19-2004, 10:24 AM
I gotta go with the Evo on this one. As quick as the Z06 is, that Evo is just too crazy.

thecackster
11-19-2004, 10:59 AM
EVO... and it's CHEAPER

M3FordBoy
11-19-2004, 12:15 PM
EVO... and it's CHEAPER

Ya, being that the FQ 400 cost like $82,000 it is definately not cheaper and only sold in Europe.I don't think it comes from the factory like that. Does Mitsubishi acually make it? I thought a company in Europe buys them and then modifies them.

BP2K2Max
11-19-2004, 12:26 PM
i voted evo. that car is insane. that damn car makes almost as much hp per liter as my whole engine makes.

Mtang36
11-19-2004, 03:09 PM
I vote evo too... 3.5 secs 0-60. Porsche Carrera GT 3.8 secs 0-60. The evo's fast, nimble, it can do 4 to 1 wheel drive.... just too crazy.

3000ways
11-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Ya, being that the FQ 400 cost like $82,000 it is definately not cheaper and only sold in Europe.I don't think it comes from the factory like that. Does Mitsubishi acually make it? I thought a company in Europe buys them and then modifies them.

That $82,000 is high, but all cars in the UK are much more expensive than what they would cost here in the United States. The Corvette price tag in the the UK is also around $80,000, so in reality, the two cars cost relatively the same.

M3FordBoy
11-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Ya, but i'm sure that is because they have to ship the Corvettes over there. The Evo is a great car, but for $47,000 you can get a 601hp '04 Mustang Cobra with all Cobra R suspension and other goodies. It is a package that can be ordered on the last of Cobras for the year. And will do 0-60mph in 3.9 and the 1/4mile in 11.9 seconds.

kman10587
11-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Ya, but i'm sure that is because they have to ship the Corvettes over there.

No, England just charges ridiculously high taxes on imports to protect their own economy.

3000ways
11-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Ya, but i'm sure that is because they have to ship the Corvettes over there. The Evo is a great car, but for $47,000 you can get a 601hp '04 Mustang Cobra with all Cobra R suspension and other goodies. It is a package that can be ordered on the last of Cobras for the year. And will do 0-60mph in 3.9 and the 1/4mile in 11.9 seconds.

They have to ship the EVO too... Plus as was just mentioned England has very high taxes, the cost of living is much more expensive there than it is here.

chevydrummer76
11-19-2004, 09:31 PM
why dont you put the 2005 z06 in here instead....isn't it supposed to have 520 hp....and as fars as looks the evo has nothin on the vette

3000ways
11-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Two Reason why the 2006 Z06 isn't there, first reason is because not enough information is avaliable about that car, and second I wanted the cars to have similiar HP numbers. That's why I don't have a Viper in the comparison.

Mtang36
11-20-2004, 09:14 AM
are we comparing looks as well? Or just performance?

drunken monkey
11-20-2004, 10:33 AM
....how about quality?

Kurtdg19
11-20-2004, 09:02 PM
As far as subjective styling points go, Z06 all the way. The Evo doesn't have the sleek sporty style that I like, and neither does the Cobra.

Performance wise the Evo is going to have to get the nod. The old Evo VIII has proven its solid backing numbers, and I wouldn't expect the FQ400 to be anything different.

To bad it isn't offered in US, and chances are if it were, it would be watered down a bit. Gas sucks here, and it would more than likely have to change a bit to compensate.

The price of a new C6 in UK is around 40,000 pounds so I couldn't see an older Z06 worth more than that. 46,999 pounds for the FQ400 would make it cost $13,000 more than a C6. For cars that are both bargains for what you get, is it worth the extra dough? (what do you guys think?) Of coarse this isn't all about value, so I'll leave that where it is.

At the end of the day I would still rather drive the Z06, but hey, thats just the way I like my sports cars!

The Cobra R is a worthy note, but I think it would still fall slightly short of the Z06, and a bit behind the FQ400. This doesn't mean its not a good car, its just not my cup of tea.

flsurf420
11-21-2004, 12:38 AM
well the evo puts out 405 at 6800rpm and the corvette at 6k, and motor for motor the corvette takes the evo seeing how the mr uses forced induction. supercharge the ls1 and you've got yourself a badass motor which is much more than an ordinary evo. also look at the torque 355 vs 400. and then you've got weight. so the only real way to test this is not only on a straight track but on a few curves. but honestly you cant compare new to old, they upped the hp in the evo so why cant chevy? (meaning use the 05 z06 instead) and seeing how were talking new, lets not get started on the ls2...

TatII
11-21-2004, 02:33 AM
you make the FQ sound like it can't handle compared to a Vette. on the top gear test track, the FQ was almost as fast a 500hp lamborghini gallardo.

Mtang36
11-21-2004, 10:25 AM
you make the FQ sound like it can't handle compared to a Vette. on the top gear test track, the FQ was almost as fast a 500hp lamborghini gallardo.

The Murcielago. Not the Gallardo. It beat the Gallardo. On straights as well and by quite a bit.

3000ways
11-21-2004, 07:48 PM
well the evo puts out 405 at 6800rpm and the corvette at 6k, and motor for motor the corvette takes the evo seeing how the mr uses forced induction. supercharge the ls1 and you've got yourself a badass motor which is much more than an ordinary evo. also look at the torque 355 vs 400. and then you've got weight. so the only real way to test this is not only on a straight track but on a few curves. but honestly you cant compare new to old, they upped the hp in the evo so why cant chevy? (meaning use the 05 z06 instead) and seeing how were talking new, lets not get started on the ls2...

I wouldn't really consider the 2004 Z06 as old, and last time I checked the C6 Z06 is suppose to be a 2006 model, so really what are you talking about? And supercharge this and it will be better, I'm asking how the cars compare stock for stock so stay on topic, and I wouldn't under estimate the 4G63T.

Vettribution87
11-24-2004, 07:35 PM
I would obviously choose the Z06 followed by the Stang.
The problem I have with the Lancer is it seems quite unusual to have a 4cyl engine doing 405hp from the factory. Something in the back of my mind keeps saying, "What’s the catch?".

Neutrino
11-24-2004, 11:13 PM
The problem I have with the Lancer is it seems quite unusual to have a 4cyl engine doing 405hp from the factory. Something in the back of my mind keeps saying, "What’s the catch?".

Ther catch is there will be very few of them and quite expensive.

And its not 405 from the factory, they come in england as regular lancer EVOs and they get torn up there and fully rebuild by the same guys that build Mitsu's WRC engines. So you can rest assured that the engine is bulletproof.

Vettribution87
11-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Ther catch is there will be very few of them and quite expensive.

And its not 405 from the factory, they come in england as regular lancer EVOs and they get torn up there and fully rebuild by the same guys that build Mitsu's WRC engines. So you can rest assured that the engine is bulletproof.

So it’s kind of like the same deal as with the Callaway Corvettes.

ie: Standard car goes from factory to a tuning workshop where the engine is stripped down and rebuilt with different parts and added performance accessories.

Kurtdg19
11-24-2004, 11:25 PM

I do know what you mean as far as having a small 4cylinder pushing 405hp. That is absolutley ridiculous....and quite impressive at the same time. Although these cars make their horsepower in very unique and mutually different ways, the same general reason remains. These are engines built to serve our passionate lives in a more thrilling sensation. A feeling that gives' somebody a reason to get up early in the morning. (or not....maybe its only me?) But you get the idea, all these cars are very respectable cars, that deserve their respect (as they do recieve). In the end of it all, different cars are loved to be essentially hated. And thus, the great automotive individuality and backing begins!

Crazy Automotive Theory 101 and a half..

Neutrino
11-25-2004, 01:11 AM
So it’s kind of like the same deal as with the Callaway Corvettes.

ie: Standard car goes from factory to a tuning workshop where the engine is stripped down and rebuilt with different parts and added performance accessories.

kind of, but the EVO FQ 400 has official factory backing and involvement so its not considered a tuner car.

Chevy could do the same with lingenfelter or callaway but they would have to be responsible for the cars. Submit them to the DOT as part of their fleet, and offer waranties to customers.

Vettribution87
11-25-2004, 01:16 AM
kind of, but the EVO FQ 400 has official factory backing and involvement so its not considered a tuner car.

Chevy could do the same with lingenfelter or callaway but they would have to be responsible for the cars. Submit them to the DOT as part of their fleet, and offer waranties to customers.

It would be interesting if Chevy did something similar with the Vette but it would probably be far too expensive. If they stuck a built racing LS2 engine in a Corvette it would probably fall short of being street legal.

Neutrino
11-25-2004, 01:29 AM
It would be interesting if Chevy did something similar with the Vette but it would probably be far too expensive. If they stuck a built racing LS2 engine in a Corvette it would probably fall short of being street legal.

true its not easy for manufacturers to do stuff like that, they have to certify the whole car all over again to make sure its road legal. And probably the worst is offering warranties. People would take that vette and abuse at the strip and road courses, and chevy would have to train a bunch of technicians all over the country to fix it.

NISSANSPDR
11-27-2004, 11:38 PM
I think the closest thing I can think of is AMG, the M branch, SVT w/Ford, PVO w/Dodge, etc...tuned in house...w/warranties

NerveAgent
11-28-2004, 12:00 AM
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ400
recockulous value.

huckleberrydude
11-30-2004, 02:39 PM
no way I would take a poor build quality vehichle over a vette. The vette has the same hp and more torque at less than 3100lbs. the vette is not all tweaked out and has a lot of extra hp potential out of the box. But I'm biased since I drive a Z06. I went 11.9 with only headers and CAI on factory tires. for about five grand I'll be deep in the 10s. All this for a road race car that just happens to go fast in a straight line+chicks dig it.

drunken monkey
11-30-2004, 06:27 PM
wait a minute, did someone say they'd wouldn't take a 'poor build quality' vehicle over a corvette?
since when were corvettes high quality build/material cars?

Vettribution87
11-30-2004, 07:08 PM
wait a minute, did someone say they'd wouldn't take a 'poor build quality' vehicle over a corvette?
since when were corvettes high quality build/material cars?

Quality improved from about 1981 onward when the Corvette was given it's own assembly plant in Kentucky. Apparently one of the most hi-tech assembly plants GM ever built.

There was much rumbling about GM's reliability 15-20 years ago but during this time the Corvette maintained an acceptable level of quality control.
Quality has also improved a lot since the C5 came out. Occasionally a lemon can slip though the cracks but this is rare. Obviously the Corvette's quality control isn’t going to shame Toyota's but I can assure you that it is of a fairly high standard.

As for materials, I heard that the Z06 had an exhaust made of titanium alloy that greatly reduces weight. The only other production car that comes from the factory with a titanium alloy exhaust is the Mclaren F1.

gti1689
12-01-2004, 07:27 AM
when he was questioning the quality of the vette he m,ight have been refering to things such as reliability, interior build quality, and longevity. the vette is a solid car by all means, and i think its reliability is quite good. i think the interior quality on the C5 was horrible, and i also feel that the evo was no mercedes either, but it is better. the new c6 seems to have an interior that has better design, but i'm not sure how the material will hold up.

moving onto what counts, the mecahical quality of both of these cars is very good (when i say mechanical i mean the engine design, the material the exhaust is made out of, etc). i think the evo is more high tech, but i also think the chevy is solid and proven to work.

overall, i would still give the nod to the evo in the categories listed above, but the c5/c6 would be a close second.

huckleberrydude
12-02-2004, 08:25 AM
In comparson to an evo which is rated one of the poorest fit and finish vehichles produced today.

gti1689
12-02-2004, 06:55 PM
hmmm, bad interior quality comapred to the vette? sure the evo's interior isn't amazing, but it's not horrendous. the vette is...well. i'm not sure how to say it. don't wanna get flamed over something dumb like interior qaulity, but it's not very high.

btw, don't u think your a little biased against imports? take a look below. i don't know, i'm trying to keep bias out if this and rate the cars on their performance. interior quality isn't the highest on my list, but if we have to talk about it, we will. :smile:

Thread: Import ?
Preview: oops!
I just took a sh!t and out came a ttsupra

03 cobra
all the goodies

huckleberrydude Mustang 64 1,436 11-24-2003 11:05 PM

Thread: My buddy just got his turbo...
Preview: a slow ass ricer

huckleberrydude Street Racing 12 247 11-02-2003 02:24 AM

S2CorollaR
12-02-2004, 10:15 PM
don't u think your a little biased against imports? take a look below

Haha nice... how do you say "owned" in french?

huckleberrydude
12-02-2004, 10:44 PM
OK I can deal with that. I am a little biased but I was considering fit and finish IE body panels, paint coming off etc. why is there a comparison with a fast four door and a sports car in the first place? Surely you could find a better car for the money. I have no reason to dog you because I know I am the one that ownes one of these cars and it is one of six I have a choice of driving daily. No one gave them to me. I earned them as well as a beautifull home and a hot girl. I was simply stating my opinion on the subject. If you can aquire the special evo (which I'm sure is a great ride), then look me up and we will see what happens. I'm sure you will be able to carry more groceries.

I just posted my opinoin.
you are being a dick.

S2CorollaR
12-02-2004, 10:52 PM
I will have to say though, dogging the Corvette's build isn't smart. The C5's have incredible build and reliability. I hardly hear of Z06's having mechanical problems and they compete very very well in competitions.

I've talked with owners, they love them. It's weird but I see a lot more Evo 8's on the used car lots than Z06's, and Evo's have been out for shorter time.

As far as interior looks and feel. I'm sorry but when they say Evo is a driver's car, they must be talking about one that never takes his eyes off the road. I test drove an Evo and I loved it....... My gf at the time hated it. She said the seats were far from comfortable and everything on the inside was not easily accessible. Everything on the inside also looks really fake, but hey, the gauges and steering wheel are great right? :rolls eyes:

As for Corvette Z06... Its interior was amazing to me.

Performance wise: It'd be hard to choose between the two, but I'd probably pick the Evo. This has nothing to do with discrediting the Corvette Z06, but merely because of rarity and the fact that I hated my ex gf anyway. Long term investment? Z06 all the way.

I have no bias, I drive an import.

drunken monkey
12-03-2004, 12:22 PM
"I've talked with owners, they love them"

how many car owners don't love their car?

things said about the interior of the corvette.
"...what looks like chrome isn't, what looks like leather would be rejected by any self-respecting cow, what looks like plastic is scratch-prone and casually fitted....."

gti1689
12-03-2004, 01:23 PM
okay, i can respect that. i understand that you were stating your opinion, and i was just stating mine. don't think i was being a dick, but if i gave you that impression i'm sorry.

the point is that the evo and the chevy do NOT have good interior quality. determining how bad it really is is kinda retarded. this thread seemed you shift from the focus of performance, and the shift was probably influenced by my previous post. go check out CAR magazine. a couple of months back they had a comparison between the EVO FQ400, and a Pagani Zonda. good reading.

the quote about there being more evo's in used car lots than Z06's is stupid. i'm sure someone can try to make somekind of inference that because there are more evo's in used car lots they must have worse quality. i'm not gonna get into that, but the vette is a little more expensive, evo isn't for everyone, etc.

finally, go buy this month's issue of motor trend. they have a comparo between the new 911, and the C6 corvette. the 911 won, but this is the statement that they wrote about the corvette, might answer some question about the interior quality, etc:

Look closer, though, and you wonder whether any other automaker in the world can get away with charging more than $45 grand for a car with such poorly fitted panels and a steering wheel from a Chevy Malibu. What's more, our tester groaned and creaked like the ship in the "Master and Commander" every time we drove up angled ramps in the underground garage at Motor Trend Towers, and the detachable roof squeaked and rattled constantly. YTou can't help feeling that, if GM had spent just a little more money and it had been prepared to sweat the detals a bit harder, the C6 could've been the first Corvette that didn't rely on price to make it a winner.

Yes, it costs a lot more, but it's Porsche's unrelenting attention to detail that explains why the Carrers S, with less power and more weight, delievers virtually identical performance to the Corvette. And why it seems more composed, more effortless on almost any piece of road you care to throw it at. The 911 Carrera S is simply the better sports car. At any price."

cheers

TatII
12-03-2004, 01:24 PM
i'm sorry but ive driven a few C5 vettes and their interior is no where near good quality. they're leather sucks, their dash is cheap, and they use the same climate control as the denali which is dated and cheap looking. they use rubbery buttons, and its just cheap overall.

even though the EVO's interior is very cheap as well, but atleast it looks alot more solid then the vettes.

and most people who sells evo's is becasue their either too old for the car, and the harsh manner of the car is beating them up, or their kid's who can't afford to pay off the rest of the finance, or they traded it in for a STi, or traded it in to get the 05 EVO's with the Active center differential.

they almost never traded it in because the car itself was no good.

and huckleberry there is no doubt your cobra will take out a modded evo. however the FQ was not meant to be a 1/4 mile burner. its meant as a road racing car, and its a damn fine one at that.

lets see if your 03 cobra can keep up with a lambourghini gallardo on the road course. this is what the EVO FQ400 is lapping similar too.

if your car can even hang with it by 1 second, then i will say its very impressive. but your cobra was never meant for handling esp with that near 30 year old chassis with that out dated 4 link live axle in the rear. unless your got the cobra with the independant rear suspension.

but even so on Hot Rod mag, a bone stock STi lapped faster then your precious SVT cobra with 90 less hp. and EVO's lap faster then STi's. the j spec EVO's run's 12.6's stock. they have 6 speed standard with more hp, and a active yaw controller, and active center differential. all of these are missing in the u.s. spec EVO. yet the EVO without all these things are still faster then the STi which happens to be faster then your SVT Cobra.

now add another 100 hp, an active center differential, 6 speed transmission, active yaw controller to the U.S. spec EVO and stiffer suspension, and lighter weight and see what happens.

my .2 cent.

S2CorollaR
12-03-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't know. I didn't drive the C6 Corvette or even hear about it. The thing is... It was my opinion about the interior of the C5 Z06. I felt the Evo looked too futuristic wannabe looking. I felt like I was in a ship on a bad episode of Star Trek or something.

As far as performance, FQ400 compared to Z06. I have no idea. I don't even know what that car is. All I know is the Z06 is an awesome machine. It's as they say, "been there and done that". No ratings on the interior will knock down the massive amounts of cars that lose to it in comparison. The C6 isn't even in this element because who knows what's going on with that car.

The C5 Z06 I'm sure, will take out the Carrera S.

huckleberrydude
12-03-2004, 04:10 PM
I don't drive a cobra anymore. I drive a Z06

drunken monkey
12-03-2004, 04:14 PM
did i start all this?

anyway.
"I felt the Evo looked too futuristic wannabe looking"
whoa....
i think the interior of the evo looks just like any other japanese car of that size;
like a taxi.
it's nothing special.
granted there was some thought in the design of it but it's not as designed as say... a BMW 5's interior.

i pointed out the original statement cos it was saying that the evo's interior is bad as opposed to the corvettes which is well, just as bad if not worse.

should just remind you guys that from what i gather,
what you guys get in terms of evos aren't exactly what the rest of the world knows as evos.
to me, it looks like you're getting a very bad impersonation of the car that the rest of the world enjoys.
also, from what i hear about quality issues with the u.s cars, i can see why you think ALL evos are bad.

last reminder...
the FQ400 is prepped by essentially
i) the mitsubishi/ralliart rally car engineers
ii) the guys who actually devised/developed the parts for the engine upgrade.

it's not just another tuned evo and it's not like any other tuned evo.

S2CorollaR
12-03-2004, 07:42 PM
No but someone started the interior bashing in terms of Corvettes. I simply argued against the Evo to balance that out.

You can't let someone land a blow on the Corvette's interior without balancing it out by saying that the Evo's interior is bad too.

Also, if you look closely, I said "I felt", meaning, my opinion, not fact. I don't know what kind of look they were going for or who likes it, all I know is I didn't like it myself. If this is a performance comparison, then honestly, it's hands down to the Evo if it is compared to a stock Z06. If we're talking about car vs car in total, well... That's all opinion isn't it?

gti1689
12-04-2004, 01:46 PM
"The C5 Z06 I'm sure, will take out the Carrera S."

that's not the point. the C6 was faster in acceleration, and it was ahead in the road course. re-read the quote from the article.

S2CorollaR
12-05-2004, 01:55 PM
I could beat you in a foot race, I'm sure... The thing is, what does that have to do with this argument? Nothing. About the same amount that the C6 Corvette has to do with this argument.

Vettribution87
12-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Look closer, though, and you wonder whether any other automaker in the world can get away with charging more than $45 grand for a car with such poorly fitted panels and a steering wheel from a Chevy Malibu. What's more, our tester groaned and creaked like the ship in the "Master and Commander" every time we drove up angled ramps in the underground garage at Motor Trend Towers, and the detachable roof squeaked and rattled constantly. YTou can't help feeling that, if GM had spent just a little more money and it had been prepared to sweat the detals a bit harder, the C6 could've been the first Corvette that didn't rely on price to make it a winner.

Yes, it costs a lot more, but it's Porsche's unrelenting attention to detail that explains why the Carrers S, with less power and more weight, delievers virtually identical performance to the Corvette. And why it seems more composed, more effortless on almost any piece of road you care to throw it at. The 911 Carrera S is simply the better sports car. At any price."

This review sounds very biased. Whoever is doing this review is trying very hard to make the Corvette look like rubbish. The fact is if you expect a car to rattle and squeak and start listening out for it, you will hear it regardless of intensity. They won’t be satisfied until the Corvette is making less noise then a bloody electric car.
If they are going to make comparisons of interior noise then it should be backed up by relevant data from the appropriate sound measuring equipment. Otherwise it is biased towards a reviewer’s likes and dislikes.

As for the fit and finish fiasco, it seems to me that they are taking the usual cheap shoot at quality based loosely on their expectations of American cars. C6 & C5 incorporate dimensional management in their construction, essentially giving each part and panel an X,Y,Z reference point. A part, such as a panel for instance, with ether fit properly or not fit at all due to the precise positioning of the joins.

I know that a Porsche is worth the price it commands (I mean its a Porsche for god sake!). But I cannot stand the usual snobbery that occurs when the Corvette is compared to a more expensive European marque.

MR2Driver
12-05-2004, 07:48 PM
This review sounds very biased. Whoever is doing this review is trying very hard to make the Corvette look like rubbish. The fact is if you expect a car to rattle and squeak and start listening out for it, you will hear it regardless of intensity. They won’t be satisfied until the Corvette is making less noise then a bloody electric car.
If they are going to make comparisons of interior noise then it should be backed up by relevant data from the appropriate sound measuring equipment. Otherwise it is biased towards a reviewer’s likes and dislikes.

I dont think the review sounds biased at all. They mention facts, they said the chassis and roof sqeaked and rattled constantly. Sounds like a common observation. How many testers have you ever heard quote the sound decible of an exhuast that was too loud.

I agree with the tester, for the performance and pricetag of the Corvette, I dont even understand why GM makes the interior up to par with any other car in its pricerange, there should be more balance between the automaker's priorities.

You telling me you wouldnt prefer it if Corvette's had nicer interiors, and a more solid chassis? You dont have to defend a car when someone mentions its needs for improvement.

If i were a Vette owner i'd be flattered that the only room for complaint of my car were its dash trim...

Heck, even the Mclaren has its complaints (vague front end, twitchy rear, weak brakes, heavy steering)

As for the EVO interior vs the C5 Z06's interior, they're both below par when you compare them to the other value for money aspects of the car. Basically, if they were nicer, you'd have one heck of a package for value. But I personally think the Vette's interior is nicer than the Mitsu's... But compared to every other car on the road, they're both on the same level.

Performance wise, i'd rather have the EVO

Vettribution87
12-05-2004, 10:17 PM
I dont think the review sounds biased at all. They mention facts, they said the chassis and roof sqeaked and rattled constantly. Sounds like a common observation. How many testers have you ever heard quote the sound decible of an exhuast that was too loud.

What I’m saying is that it would be better to record the interior noise of a car and observe the waves on a computer as perceived hearing is based on a change in sound intensity. For example if you are in an office environment and a plate smashes you will hear the sound but it won’t cause you to jump out of you’re skin. If on the other hand you’re working late, everyone’s gone home and the plate smashes you nearly have a heart attack. The change in sound intensity is measured in decibels (dB). The plate dropping in the noisy office might be 50dB where as in the empty office it might be 70-80 dB.
In the case of cars if you have a car with a quiet engine the sound of a squeaking aperture in the interior will stand out where as if there were more noise intrusion from the road or engine then the squeaking would go unnoticed.

You telling me you wouldn’t prefer it if Corvette's had nicer interiors, and a more solid chassis? You don’t have to defend a car when someone mentions its needs for improvement.

Certainly but not at the expense of price and weight.
And if the chassis were any more solid and stiff it would probably be a risk to the kidney to drive. :iceslolan

If i were a Vette owner i'd be flattered that the only room for complaint of my car were its dash trim...

Yeh I suppose. :smokin:

But they did use the interior as a deciding factor in the review, which is a bit unfair when comparing to a car that’s some $35,655 cheaper.

I have no problem with the Porsche winning the review but they gave no credit for the Corvette's value when considering looks and performance. Instead they made it out as if it were like a cheap motorbike and declared the Porsche as simply better.
Better? A very vague statement if you ask me.

Performance wise, i'd rather have the EVO
Not me. Performance wise I find a 4cyl to be too peaky. I prefer the good broad power band that a V8 engine offers.

Kurtdg19
12-10-2004, 12:27 AM
I think your all missing the main point of these cars. Why are there two pages of discussion on which substandard interior is shittier? We are talking about sports cars that offer value (please note the term value). Value comes at a cost. Granted a nice interior is nice to have, but its the last thing I look for in a sports car. I prefer indulging in the enthusiast aspects over amenities. As long as everything inside the cabin works as its suppost to, I'm gravy. Anyways I'm sure the person going to buy one of these cars are interested in it because of its appealing cabin....(give me a break). I cannot believe we're trying to justify these cars by their interior!! Somebody slap me so I can wake up!

I think the automotive world is becoming spoiled by Europeans expensive and refined automobilies :( .

When in doubt, always blame the Europeans!! :lol:

Alaa 3000GT
12-21-2004, 10:44 PM
There is not doubt that the EVO MR FQ400 will take the lead and pass Corvette Z06 and Mustang Cobra R because it got a light weight .. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Vettribution87
12-21-2004, 10:53 PM
There is not doubt that the EVO MR FQ400 will take the lead and pass Corvette Z06 and Mustang Cobra R because it got a light weight .. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

The FQ400 weighs more then the Z06.
3118lbs (Z06) verses 3240lbs (FQ400) a difference of 122lbs.

Alaa 3000GT
12-21-2004, 11:04 PM
The FQ400 weighs more then the Z06.
3118lbs (Z06) verses 3240lbs (FQ400) a difference of 122lbs.

Do you have a site proves the weight ?

Do you know the Evo FQ400 passed a Lamborghini Murcielago and you can see the video in Car videos Fourm ?!

Vettribution87
12-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Do you have a site proves the weight ?
2002 Z06 specs (http://www.fast-autos.net/chevrolet/02chevroletcorvettez06.html)

FQ400 specs (http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/evofq400.html)

Do you know the Evo FQ400 passed a Lamborghini Murcielago and you can see the video in Car videos Fourm ?!

I havent seen it because govenment computers are so so slow that I cannot streem it let alone download it.

Alaa 3000GT
12-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Vettribution87

It still has a light weight , if you compare it to a stock 3000GT 91 which weighs 3789.7 lbs exactly 1719kg .. you will probably say it's weightless .

How many seconds can the FQ400 run a 1/4 time ?

btw the corvette isn't faster than the Evo from 0-100 .

Corevette Z06 2002 sprints from 0-100 in 9.5s .
Mitsubishi Lancer FQ400 sprints from 0-100 in 9.1s .

After 100mph who will win ? http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Kurtdg19
12-21-2004, 11:34 PM
I havent seen it because govenment computers are so so slow that I cannot streem it let alone download it.

:lol: Sry bought that. But hey, if it wasn't for computers like that, I wouldn't be able to make fun of them!!

Crap I'm getting off the thread.

P.S. You never saw this reply

Vettribution87
12-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Vettribution87

It still has a light weight , if you compare it to a stock 3000GT 91 which weighs 3789.7 lbs exactly 1719kg .. you will probably say it's weightless.
Certainly the FQ400 is no boat anchor. It is as light as they come, especially considering the AWD system it has to lug around, but fact is fact and the Corvette is indeed lighter.

How many seconds can the FQ400 run a 1/4 time ?.
I do not know but the 2002 Z06 did a 1/4-mile time of 12.5 sec.

btw the corvette isn't faster than the Evo from 0-100 .

Corevette Z06 2002 sprints from 0-100 in 9.5s .
Mitsubishi Lancer FQ400 sprints from 0-100 in 9.1s
Indeed. That is the advantage offered by AWD and short ratio gearing. It’s an advantage but not necessarily one that would garner a decisive victory over a Z06. Unless of course it was raining.

After 100mph who will win ? http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif
I would say the Z06 because of the enormous effect aerodynamics has at the higher speeds. The Corvettes shape and low profile allow it to reach higher speeds with less drag. The FQ400 is still loosely based on a humble 4-door sedan and so the vehicles profile would be higher then the Vettes even if you lowered the suspension to point it was almost scraping the pavement. This is where the body kit comes in. In order to stop the FQ400 from taking off like a plane at high speed it is necessary to fit a large air dam at the front and a huge spoiler at the back. This may keep traction a plenty at higher speed but it also reduces you’re top end acceleration as well as top speed due to excessive drag.

Alaa 3000GT
12-22-2004, 01:07 AM
I think that the Corvette gonna smoke the FQ400

from rolling and top speed race , And I think the evo will

pass the Corvette in Qurater Mile . The Weight of

the FQ400 is good and lighter if you compared it to

the Panzer (( 3000GT )) .

Jimster
12-22-2004, 01:29 AM
I don't see why there is much debate about this, the FQ400 was able to beat a Pagani Zonda, which has a 7.3 litre V8 and 547 bhp while weighing a light (For a 7.3 V8 Supercar) 1280 Kg.

So by all logic a Zonda could beat a Corvette Z06, hence a FQ400 could as well.

Add to that: The Evo's modifications that tickle it to 400bhp are done by Ralliart, who I believe are a fully controlled by Mitsubishi (Either way they are factory backed)

The Evo has the added bonus of AWD and an active differential (Which means it can be driven in all weather).

Alaa 3000GT
12-22-2004, 01:37 AM
Jimster

I've read about the FQ400 that accelerates from 0-60mph faster than Zonda but I don't think it's faster after 60 MPH or a faster in a race from rolling .. AWD system helps the Evo to accelerate quickly to 60 MPH .

Add your comment to this topic!