Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can't figure out what's wrong, it won't start!!

phixion009
09-02-2004, 01:30 AM
I was driving and my car(90 civic hb si) sputtered out and died. Checked for spark and nothing, checked for fuel, yes getting fuel. Replaced distrubutor and still nothing. I charged my battery becuz it was cranking really slow, still cranking slow with 12.5v. Spark plugs smell like gas, oil smells like gas, I need help. No clue on what to do and too poor for a mechanic. PLEASE I NEED SOME ADVICE!

bambam89lx
09-02-2004, 11:21 AM
did you replace the coil with the dizzy? did you check the cap and rotor? Also, ur probably not gonna see a spark or much of it anyway if you're car is not turning over quick enuff.
BTW...just because a car has enough voltage doesn't mean anything....it can still have a low current.
Check those things and boost it to another cars battery and then try to start it.

Figori
09-02-2004, 11:29 AM
If your oil smells like gas, you could have a compression problem.

bambam89lx
09-02-2004, 11:40 AM
if your saying you opened ur oil cap up and you smell gas...that's normal for a car that is getting flooded with gas from not starting.

phixion009
09-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I replaced the dizzy, new cap, new rotor, and new coil. It was cranking strong for about two days with no spark before i got the new dizzy. By the time the new dizzy arrived is when it was cranking slow, I tried boosting it with same results. Right now I took the plugs out and valve cover off to try to let the gas air out. Is there anything in the mean time i could check for problems? Ground wires, electrical or something?

Add your comment to this topic!