Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Poll: The Ultimate Engine Swap!

Pages : [1] 2 3

1viadrft
07-08-2004, 06:01 PM
So what will it be, kiddies? Assume you have an NA Z32 (or you wanna swap out your VG30DETT, TT-GuyZ!): Would you want a VG30DETT, RB25DET, or RB26DETT or other? If you have a TT already: RB25DET, RB26DETT, other.

Lots of feedback as to why you would pick that specific engine!

Z_Fanatic
07-08-2004, 06:31 PM
people might hate me for it, but how about z33's tt engine (assuming they ever release a twin turbo)? Skyline engines might be hard to get or costly or not a lot power of improvement (exception of R34 engine) for the Z32.

ZedEx
07-08-2004, 07:10 PM
What the fuck are you talking about?

"Skyline engines might be hard to get or costly or not a lot power of improvements (exception of R34 engine) for the Z32"

What does that supposed to mean?

R34 Skyline engines range from the RB25E engine, to RB26DETT engine. R32 RB26's, and R34 produce the same amount of power.

1viadrft. Stick with the RB25DET idea. I like it.

My Powertrain Swap : VH45DES into an R33 GTS.

(4.5liter V8 Supercharged :D ) I've seen it done... But it wouldnt be easy.

-Wes

freakonaleash1187
07-08-2004, 09:40 PM
i would definitely go with the vg30dett. i rather have a v- configuration than a i- configuration. also, a 300zx has a vg in it and that is what is supposed to be in there. it isn't a z anymore without the engine. that what makes most of the car is the engine. the rb is a good engine, but keep those with skylines and keep vg's with 300zx's.

Z_Fanatic
07-08-2004, 10:48 PM
What the fuck are you talking about?

"Skyline engines might be hard to get or costly or not a lot power of improvements (exception of R34 engine) for the Z32"

What does that supposed to mean?

R34 Skyline engines range from the RB25E engine, to RB26DETT engine. R32 RB26's, and R34 produce the same amount of power.

1viadrft. Stick with the RB25DET idea. I like it.

My Powertrain Swap : VH45DES into an R33 GTS.

(4.5liter V8 Supercharged :D ) I've seen it done... But it wouldnt be easy.

-Wes

:wtf: ever, I dont give a damn about Skylines. They're over-hyped and too expensive anyway for what its worth. Rather wait a few years and get a 350Z swap. And V8 on the ZX, what're you smoking? I don't plan on bastardizing the ZX into pseudo-muscle car and adding more weight.

longlivetheZ
07-09-2004, 12:05 AM
I picked the RB26DETT. It would either be that or the 2JZ-GTE. Both have insane potential. I've seen over 800 HP on both without internal modifications. They're both waaaaaaaay over-engineered...they're both slightly detuned race engines.

As for the "bastardising" vg-rb thing....they're both Nissan...it's not THAT "bastardized". The small block chevy conversions that I've seen...now THAT'S sacrilage. But...if you want more power...put in an engine with more potential...the rb has far more potential than the VG (...don't argue...it does...think about how many 600...700...800hp RBs you've seen, then think about how many 600...700...800hp VGs you've seen...), therefor, for power, it makes sense...even the Chevy thing makes sense if you want more power, but THAT'S just TOO much for me...

Now...the Nissan V8 thing...if that's what you wanna do, go for it. At least it's not a Chevy. And It won't add a significant amount of weight, so don't say that as a negative...it's just stupid. *I* wouldn't do that. I don't like V8s, nor do I like superchargers. I can count on one hand how many V8s I like...of course, V8s have their own set of characteristics that some people prefer, but some of the fastest cars EVER produced were not V8s...all you need is 6. Either do 6 or go all out and get 10 or 12...don't pussy-foot around with 8. Also, more moving parts, usually inferior milage and efficiency.....plus, I just can't shake that "domestic" image they carry along with them.

Superchargers are more difficult to adjust and modify than turbos. All you have to do to turn up the boost on a turbo is buy a boost controller and turn a knob...from the driver's seat, even. To up the boost from a supercharger, you have to swap out pullies and mess with belts and so on...I'll pass.

Inline...think about it...what's more balanced...pistons pounding away from each other in opposite directions or pistons all lined up firing in the same direction. I'd think this would be easier on the internals than the "opposite direction war"...I pity the poor crank in the V6 as I watch the rpms scream up towards 5000 rpms and the pistons battle to fly in opposite directions...but I don't know if it makes ALL that much of a diff.

RB26DETT or 2JZ-GTE any day...

Z_Fanatic
07-09-2004, 12:26 AM

As for the "bastardising" vg-rb thing....they're both Nissan...it's not THAT "bastardized". The small block chevy conversions that I've seen...now THAT'S sacrilage. But...if you want more power...put in an engine with more potential...the rb has far more potential than the VG (...don't argue...it does...think about how many 600...700...800hp RBs you've seen, then think about how many 600...700...800hp VGs you've seen...), therefor, for power, it makes sense...even the Chevy thing makes sense if you want more power, but THAT'S just TOO much for me...

I was referring to people who took American muscle car V8 engines and dropped it into the ZX. Eitherway, I am more about getting the most from smaller engines.

Sidenote: I know a few people who were able to get 20-22 gallons out of their V8 '00 Mustangs.

freakonaleash1187
07-09-2004, 12:45 AM
i can't believe this, most of the people here call themselves z enthusiasts even though they perfer a different engine than the one in the z. c'mon now, it isn't a z without the vg, and yet most of you want ruin the z by rather having an rb (or any other engine in that matter) even though you all love the z so much. yeah, you can get more power out of an rb, but i don't care, it isn't a z anymore. you might as well like the ls1, it can make gobs of power, but wait, it is domestic, so it isn't a 300zx, well, the rb isn't 300zx so that just doesn't comprehend.

longlivetheZ
07-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Believe me...I'm much more into 6 cylinders than anything else.

I see these massively powerful 2L engines and it's awesome...it goes to show how far technology has come.

6 cylinders is the perfect compromise between efficiency and torque as far as I'm concerned. Of course, there are always exceptions, but, in general, v6s aren't like a tiny 4 cyl that has to hit 7000 rpm before it starts going and it's not like a 5.7L pushrod V8 that looses torque and farts out at 4000 rpm. Nice smooth torque curve and power band with a decent redline. The best of both worlds.

I know some v8s get ok mileage...20-22 isn't ALL that great...I got over 30 all the way from northern Ky to West Palm Beach Florida, loaded to the brim with stuff and with the A/C on. I got that for over 1000 miles from a 3.0L engine that was nearly 20 years old and had no modifications. Now THAT'S pretty impressive. I've seen some turbo charged vetts that get 28 mpg or something, but those are quite rare...not to mention that the people driving them are trying VERY hard to stay out of the throttle in order to obtain those numbers.

Z_Fanatic
07-09-2004, 01:02 AM
I think you're exaggerating here, "Liz," lol, since I was comparing these mustangs with 60s muscle car, which gets about 10 mpg on a good day I think. It's surprising that Z31 turbo gets that much mileage out of a gallon, in fact I am impressed. My non-turbo Z32 gets about 18 now. I live in South Florida as well.

Anyway Freak on a leash, the truth to the matter is, one day our beloved engine will die. So rather getting a heavily used Z32 engine, low mileage Z33 seems to be a better choice. But I rather stay away from the RBs or V8s.

freakonaleash1187
07-09-2004, 02:05 AM
nooooo, the vg can't go away. if it does, i will take a heavily used one and rebuild it to where the only original thing is the block. i can see it now, like people restoring old cars today, i will be restoring z's. that is one of my biggest dreams, to own one of each model of the z car.

longlivetheZ
07-09-2004, 02:11 AM
I was actually amazed that my car was getting that mileage...that's why I kept rechecking it every time I got gas...every time I was pleasently surprised.

Freak...you're kinda missing my point...I'm not saying I don't like the VG series of engines...I love them...hell...I'VE OWNED 2! I'm not going to run to shove ANYTHING else in my engine bay...except a bigger turbo...:p

If you're going for huge numbers, it might be a wiser decision to swap in an RB than trying to get the power from a VG. It depends on your priorities...keeping the original type of engine or putting the most power you can into the platform of choice.

Z_Fanatic
07-09-2004, 02:26 AM
just for future options, are these RBs abundant in the US, how much do they cost? My fairlady Z is almost 200K. Im kinda worried, let see how long it will last.

longlivetheZ
07-09-2004, 02:38 AM
I don't know exactly how much they go for, but I don't think they're cheap because of the demand for them.

k3smostwanted
07-09-2004, 02:42 AM
back to the main thread. it would have to be one of what your plans are for your car i think. never v8. thats just well ignorant to me. (personal opinion). if you want gobs of power my 2 choices would be vg30dett or rb26dett. well i am tryin to get the funds together to do the vgtt swap so u know which one i am routing for. but if i ever decide to start gettin into massive numbers i will prolly go with the rbtt because it is a "stronger" engine. an 800hp rb engine or an 800hp vg. u gotta think reliability? rb is 800hp on stock internals. imagine if u rebulit it from top to bottom. u could make it a daily driver with 800hp all rebuilt.

all in all...i would have to say vg30dett. that engine has way more potential than i need. me being only 18 driving on 2 speeding tickets. haha

Z_Fanatic
07-09-2004, 02:58 AM
i think it's more practical to just sell the non turbo z32 and buy a tt.

k3smostwanted
07-09-2004, 03:25 AM
maybe practical it might be, but in my case. i could never part with my z. we are attatched at the arms and steering wheel. but yeah also mine is as clean as they come. it looks like it just came off the production line. and there is only 85,000 miles on the chasis. in total with my TT swap, im lookin at spending apporximately $10,000. if u can find me a TT with 40,000 miles on the engine and 85,000 on the chasis and is as clean as mine, i will sell my car tomorrow and by a TT the day after.

Z_Fanatic
07-09-2004, 03:37 AM
are you saying it's impossible to find one? 2 months ago I saw a TT with 67K for $12K in the sports and antique autotrader.

k3smostwanted
07-09-2004, 03:48 AM
im not syain its impossible but the odds are against u. thast still not $10,000. my idea would leave me with $2,000 which is well on my way for a turbo upgrade. now i almost have more hp in a 2+2 TT (which is rare in enough in the states to drop the jaws of z enthusiasts) beings my car came with an exhaust and i just purchased an intake.
your idea would leave me with a stock TT with more miles.

Z_Fanatic
07-09-2004, 03:53 AM
i think you missed the point, if you keep your eyes opened, your bound to get a good offer. plus selling the non turbo will also give you the cash back for investment. if I wanted to upgrade my non-turbo, i wouldn't spend $10k engine swapping just for a TT.

k3smostwanted
07-09-2004, 04:11 AM
i think thats where ur missin my point. it will not cost me 10,000---------- more like 3-4 k for a TT front clip. installation done by myself, friends, and family. so free labor. actually i take back the free, it might cost me some pizza and pop. i said all togehter i will be lookin at 10,000. i paid 6,000 for my car. 3,000 -4,000for the TT clip including a few other parts. so im lookin at 10,000 all together.
even if i did find a TT with 45,000 miles on it, and flawless paint, clean title, no accidents, flawless interior for 10,000. (by the way...if u have a car like that u would be a complete idiot to sell it for less than $20,000), i still am in love with my car.
ask several of these guys. alot of them would agree that they would never part with there Z.

Z_Fanatic
07-09-2004, 04:20 AM
u should come down to florida then, Z's are cheap here when buying. maintaining however....

and there's already a person in this board who parted with their Z32 TT that ran 11s?? but i know what you mean.

k3smostwanted
07-09-2004, 04:20 AM
ok back on topic. whats wrong with the N/A vq35de? more potential and porbably reliability beings it is basically a brand new engine. plus tuners are still engineering new things for this car.

VG is done. the aftermarket for this engine is at its peak.

doesnt the greddy turbo kit add like 100hp with 6psi of boost. can u say WOW? potential isnt limited to RB's.
dont eat me up if im wrong. just tryin to remember the numbers.

k3smostwanted
07-09-2004, 04:28 AM
well that person is not me.

i will not part with my z unless i need too. when i was lookin for a z about a year ago. the cheapest i saw a TT was 7,000. i think it had close to 175,000 miles on it. interior was ripped to hell. hail damage, rust, dents, scratches, missing front fascia. and that car was in florida. by the time i found a TT for 10,000. i would have to sink all my money into keepin it runnin or for a rebuild cuz someone beat the hell out of it. or a new paint job because someone could take care of there car.

did i mention that my z was owned by one person. this person was 65 years old. and drove it on weekends only and stored it in the winter for 14 years? my car prbably hasnt even been broken in yet. (*exaggeration*)

Z_Fanatic
07-09-2004, 04:55 AM
yes well that person had to sell it because he needed to.

yes it seems you got quite a deal on yours. keep it safe and dont do something foolish trying to flip a finger on a ricer.

VQuick
07-09-2004, 10:32 AM
ok back on topic. whats wrong with the N/A vq35de? more potential and porbably reliability beings it is basically a brand new engine. plus tuners are still engineering new things for this car.

VG is done. the aftermarket for this engine is at its peak.

doesnt the greddy turbo kit add like 100hp with 6psi of boost. can u say WOW? potential isnt limited to RB's.
dont eat me up if im wrong. just tryin to remember the numbers.

Good point with the VQ. There are already some turbo kits, superchargers, stroker kits, and sleeves available for it. In fact, there is a stroker kit now that includes sleeves capable of handling 55psi. Power potential will no doubt exceed that of the RB26 without a problem.

Now that the next GT-R's motor will probably be a VQ, there will be even more aftermarket support soon. There's plenty of stuff now, but there will be more tuners/competition, and that will help reduce prices.

The VQ is also well over 200lbs lighter than the RB, as well.

Don't knock an Infinti V8 swap, either. The previous gen Q45's VH41DE and VH45DE are aluminum, and weigh only 521lbs, still a good bit lighter than a VG or RB. If they're good enough to be used for IRL racing(650hp, 3.5L, methanol fueled), they're good enough for your street car.

1viadrft
07-09-2004, 11:36 AM
i can't believe this, most of the people here call themselves z enthusiasts even though they perfer a different engine than the one in the z. c'mon now, it isn't a z without the vg, and yet most of you want ruin the z by rather having an rb (or any other engine in that matter) even though you all love the z so much. yeah, you can get more power out of an rb, but i don't care, it isn't a z anymore. you might as well like the ls1, it can make gobs of power, but wait, it is domestic, so it isn't a 300zx, well, the rb isn't 300zx so that just doesn't comprehend.

Sorry, freak... but I disagree! I am very much a Z enthusiast. Even though I totally hate it... those guys dropping Small-block Chevy engines in their 240Z's are too. Ruin a Z by dropping in an RB? Are you aware how similar the drive-train's are (VG and RB)? The whole design of the RB engines descend from all the old Z's engines (L24's, L26's and L28's). What about the New Z? Are you not aware it shares its engine powerplant and drive-train with the G35/V35 SKYLINE GT? Does this make the the 350Z/Fairlady Z any less of a Z? I can see why people would get upset about a 'domestic' engine swap... but a VG to RB swap is staying in the family and still continues the Z heritage!

On a lighter note... please keep it civil guys! We are all Z enthusiast regardless of our engine preference. Let's stick together and be opened-minded about all ideas!

PS--- You think an RB swap is bad? Have you ever seen a Z with an SR20DET swap for drifting? LoL Crazy.... but whatever floats your boat.

ZedEx
07-09-2004, 06:55 PM
:wtf: ever, I dont give a damn about Skylines. They're over-hyped and too expensive anyway for what its worth. Rather wait a few years and get a 350Z swap. And V8 on the ZX, what're you smoking? I don't plan on bastardizing the ZX into pseudo-muscle car and adding more weight.

I said VH45DES in an R33 GTS... That would be a Skyline. Not a Zed.

nooooo, the vg can't go away. if it does, i will take a heavily used one and rebuild it to where the only original thing is the block. i can see it now, like people restoring old cars today, i will be restoring z's. that is one of my biggest dreams, to own one of each model of the z car.

Dude... VG30's were discontinued YEARS ago. Rebuilt VG's dont do well in the long run, typically after they go... Theyre gone. That is why I got rid of my first Zed. I had rebuilt a bunch of parts in it, and I wasnt sure how long it was going to go for... Thus, Sold.

Saying "A Zed isnt a Zed without a VG"... Is like saying a Skyline isnt a Skyline without an RB. Which is ridiculous.

I've seen Supras with SR20's, Zed's with RB26DETT's, Skylines with VQ30DETT, Skylines with a damn VK56DETT! Dude the powertrain doesnt signify what the car is...

Those little peices of aluminum under the hood, on the dash, and on the door seal is all that matters. It can have body mods out of the ass, but in the end, its still a Zed.

In my opinion.

Also, everyone asking about how much VG's, and RB's are. These are my companies prices.

VG30DETT Manual : $3,000
VG30DETT Auto : $2,500
RB26DETT Manual : $5,500
RB25DET Manual : $3,250
RB20DET Manual : $2,200

(Typically we dont carry Automatic RB's...)

The VG swap isnt all that difficult. And neither is an RB into Zed. It just takes time, mechanical inclination, and beer... Lots and lots... Of beer :D

-Wes

ZedEx
07-09-2004, 07:00 PM
and there's already a person in this board who parted with their Z32 TT that ran 11s?? but i know what you mean.

Who would this be?

The only Zed i've ever seen run 11's was a full tubed chassis, carbon fiber body... And a V8 under the hood.

TTZD's arent known for their 1/4 times... All of mine were slugs in the run, thats why they were road cars. Auto-X.

I would be VERY impressed to see some time slips here. I've never seen a road worthy Zed run 11's...

-Wes

Z_Fanatic
07-09-2004, 09:27 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254516

11.9 in 1/4 mile.

btw, do you have to import these RBs or are these abundant in the States?

how much power do each RBs generate in stock form?

Pistolpete
07-09-2004, 11:19 PM
RB series

R32 gtst 0-100 in 6.49 seconds 1/4mile in 14.63 seconds
R32 gtr 0-100 in 4.79 seconds 1/4 mile in 12.80 seconds
Rb20det-160kw @ 6400rpm
Rb26dett-208kw @ 6400rpm

R33 gtst 0-100 in 6.18 seconds 1/4 mile in 14.39 seconds
R33 gtr 0-100 in 5.30 seconds 1/4 mile in 13.30 seconds
Rb25det-187kw @ 6400rpm
Rb26dett-208kw @ 6800rpm

R34 gtst 0-100 in 6.00 seconds 1/4 mile in 14.20 seconds
R34 gtr 0-100 in 4.90 seconds 1/4 mile in 12.90 seconds
Rb26det- 206kw @ 6400rpm
Rb26dett-208kw @ 6800rpm

z32TT 0-100 in 5.96 seconds 1/4mile in 14.20 seconds
VG30dett- 208kw @ 6400rpm

Supra RZ 0-100 in 5.92 seconds 1/4 in 13.93 seconds
2JZ-GTE - 208kw @ 5600rpm

JDM figures
-------------------------------
g'day ppl
i reken u should stick to the VG there is lots and lots of tuning potential in the engine, it is 1 of the most unnderrated engines out there due to the RB series success with the Rb26dett, The Rb26 has cast a shadow over every other engine that has or even will come out of Japan.

VG is a very good, strong engine with heeps of potential, throw some money into a vg30dett and ull b right mate.

iv seen some nasty figures produced by a Vg, enough Hp to make the toughest HSV run and hid under the carpet.
(k HSV is ozzy but think pontiac GTO)

its a top engine and plus ull b all Z then :sunglasse

longlivetheZ
07-09-2004, 11:43 PM
I would be VERY impressed to see some time slips here. I've never seen a road worthy Zed run 11's...

Aight...ask and you shall receive...

First off...Kyle from SGP Racing (http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/kyl93nis30.html)...and you see why I like SGP.

From Z31.com's "1/4 mile times" section...

Danny 88ss 11.47 @ 123

Adam88ss 88ss 11.75 @ 125

And those are VG30ET's. There are a bunch more cars on there that are deep into the 12s. I'm shooting for 11s or 12s eventually in my 86T.

And finally...

http://z31.com/racing/8secz.jpg

Your bud in the tubed-n-stripped Z running 11s either wasn't trying or needs to hit the drawing boards cuz he aint cuttin it. Zs definately aren't drag cars, but, past a certain point, a fast car is a fast car...and Zs can be extremely fast cars.

freakonaleash1187
07-10-2004, 12:23 AM
that z31 is nuts. full interior, that is even more nuts. i see the powertrain as a big part of the car, big part, it is what makes the car go. but that might just be me.

ZedEx
07-10-2004, 07:56 AM
NIIIIICE.

Thanks for the info there LLTZ.

And Z Fanatic... Im PMing you... You'll see why :D

Also these clips are ready to ship out. We just recieved a HUGE shipment (From our Okinawa Supplier... In my opinion she is the best one). RB's, SR's, CA's, VG's... Everything. Just hit me up.

-Wes

kkiepvvessau
07-10-2004, 08:11 AM
if people are built Z for power i think corvette engine fit good with alot space in Z32 . v6 twin turbo is fun , but imagine V8 Twin turbo . stock Vette run 3.9 second Z will run 3.7 or 3.8 second

ZedEx
07-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Did that seem a bit... Incoherent to anyone else?

Sorry dude, but I think what your saying is a Vette engine in a Zed?

... Ok I guess. Figure out how to fit it, and props to you.

I was thinking a CA18DET. Yes it would be dropping liter size almost 1.2liters. But hey, no one else would have a CA power Zed in the states right?

Of course it would have to be tickled up a bit, just to get the thing to drive ok.

Waste of money in other words...

-Wes

freakonaleash1187
07-10-2004, 08:25 AM
actually samhain, there was a z with a ls1 engine in it on ebay. the engine bay looked a lot less crowded with the v-8 in there, even though it is bigger.

ZedEx
07-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Like I said... Props to you if you figured it out.

I didnt say it wasnt possible. I said it wouldnt be easy.

My buddy wanted to drop a 350 into my first Zed when the engine was out... But we couldnt get it to mount up right without SERIOUS modifications. So anyone who can do it, PROPS.

-Wes

Z_Fanatic
07-10-2004, 09:17 PM
get the RB then? I like the sound of I6. how puch horsepower do the engines generate?

btw, anyone aware of what the powerplant of V35 Skyline GTR might be? And how much power the stock may generate?

ZedEx
07-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Its not V35 GTR... It's just Skyline.

Or are you talking about the new "R35 GTR"?
Rumors have stated USDM it will hold a VH45DE. And JDM will have claim to a VQ30DETT.

RB in a Zed... My choice.

-Wes

kkiepvvessau
07-10-2004, 10:37 PM
i saw two z with Vette engine already , so i have to said it was easy than swap N/A to TT . Vette Engine are less wires harmness and not taking space. i have done a timing chain on 240SX , the electric wires i have to said it harder compare to honda and camry. Nissan cars built electric wires too much . 300zx engine built poorly too many wires and hose easy to break if you mechanic you know what i'm taking about. Place i work have done quite a few 300zx engine change. i would want to trade my prelude for 90 Z32 2+2 then swap TT . but my machanic say if i bought a Z he will take vacation . That mean i have to do swap myself , no no that not going to happen . i Have heard from other mechanic say that 350Z engine is better than 300zx , the wire harmness and hose .
i haven't working on one yet, i would like to . i'm a fan of z32 i will get one someday .

ZedEx
07-10-2004, 10:47 PM
... I think I read something about a 300ZedX here... But im not sure?

Haha, just messing with you dude.

VG's are very difficult to work on. Thats why its better if your engine ever has a problem... Just swap it out! Rebuilt, or Reconditioned VG's never last long.

-Wes

Z_Fanatic
07-10-2004, 11:23 PM
I believe they changed the designation, they're calling it V35 instead of R35, do a google/yahoo, you'll see.

http://jbskylinegallery.com/V35/GTR/Large/V35%20GT-R%20Concept%20Night.jpg

As you can see, it has Skylines taillights trademark.

http://jbskylinegallery.com/V35/GTR/Large/

ZedEx
07-10-2004, 11:47 PM
That is a conceptual Skyline.

All of these R35 Skylines your seeing online are computer generated designs.

They are utilizing programs such as Maya, FormZRadioZity, Cinema4D, etc.

I know all of these programs well, and I have designed my own version of the R35.
I personally like mine the best... But o well.

-Wes

Z_Fanatic
07-10-2004, 11:50 PM
didn't you see the auto show version? it made it to the floor as a model. the final product hopefullly would be something different. and v35/r35, who cares? what's your version like?

longlivetheZ
07-11-2004, 01:43 AM
First off, pick up the last issue of Sport Z Magazine (all of you that call yourselves "Z lovers" should have a subscription already and know what I'm going to say!!!) and there's a Z32 with a vette engine in it. Check it out. AND SUBSCRIBE TO THAT MAGAZINE!!!

I love that Z31 doing a wheely. That's awesome. I can just see all the mustang and camaro guys cowering in a corner...I love it.

Alright...kkiepvvessau...you need to work on your grammar and coherency a bit, mi amigo. It's a tad tough to decifer your posts. And...

300zx engine built poorly

... :nono: That speak will get you slapped, newbie.

freakonaleash1187
07-11-2004, 01:54 PM
anybody whos says the vg is built poorly should be slapped. the ones that break down a lot are the ones that don't get taken care off.

ZedEx
07-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Slap me Freak...

I say there are MANY factors in the VG's that very poor. Others that are machine incredibly well.

Another factor is that the engine is difficult to work on. I know many, many A.S.E Certified Mechanics that will not touch these cars.

Their fears are well-founded.

VG's absolutely suck to work on. I can vouch for that. And im sure some of you can as well.

Anyone who can get that Upper-Plenum off first try without getting very frustrated... You've got skill.

Or a good mechanics guide. Haha :D

-Wes

freakonaleash1187
07-11-2004, 10:11 PM
vg's have there drawbacks, but not enough to say they are poorly built. every car has it's drawbacks, but that doesn't make them poorly built.

1viadrft
07-12-2004, 12:04 AM
didn't you see the auto show version? it made it to the floor as a model. the final product hopefullly would be something different. and v35/r35, who cares? what's your version like?

To settle this... the V35 Skyline is the Infiniti G35... this version sways away from the GTR trim. THE NEW AND YET UNVEILED SKYLINE GTR (rumored to be an INFINITI here in the good ol' US... as LLZ said; "READ YOUR DAMN SPORT Z MAGAZINE, YOU HEATHENS!!! Sucks it's only out four times a year!) will be designated as an R35, carrying on the R chassis and will be a GTR! 'Google' search-mode pulls up old info... I hope you know this, Z_Fan! That picture of that concept GTR is just that... and OLD concept that came out about two years ago for the future SKYLINE/GTR series! Does that concept look familiar? Take a look at the new 350Z and V35/G35... that is what the concept evolved into. But don't be surprised if the new GTR looks a little similar to the V35/G35.

As for the VG, guys:
I would not go as far as to say the VG was poorly built! YES! They do suck to work on! I would much rather work on a I6!!! And I think I remember someone saying there are no VG powered putting out as much power as the RB powered Skylines? Hey: I love Skylines! And, yes, there are not many Z's hitting over 800HP! But have you guys ever heard of the ESCORT Z32??? 1200 + HP!!! You can't get that much HP from a poorly bulit base engine, fellas!

If I had my choice and unlimited amounts of money... I would definately build a monster VG30DETT with excess of 800HP... but I'm not that rich! I would and most likely will swap in my RB25DET and keep it near stock with some bolt ons... I can get a good 450HP with bolt-ons with minimal money. I would rather have the lighter engine for what I do anyway: DRIFT.

VG30's are okay in my book! Lots of power (even in NA) and potential.

Z_Fanatic
07-12-2004, 01:12 AM
To settle this... the V35 Skyline is the Infiniti G35... this version sways away from the GTR trim. THE NEW AND YET UNVEILED SKYLINE GTR (rumored to be an INFINITI here in the good ol' US... as LLZ said; "READ YOUR DAMN SPORT Z MAGAZINE, YOU HEATHENS!!! Sucks it's only out four times a year!) will be designated as an R35, carrying on the R chassis and will be a GTR! 'Google' search-mode pulls up old info... I hope you know this, Z_Fan! That picture of that concept GTR is just that... and OLD concept that came out about two years ago for the future SKYLINE/GTR series! Does that concept look familiar? Take a look at the new 350Z and V35/G35... that is what the concept evolved into. But don't be surprised if the new GTR looks a little similar to the V35/G35.

:wtf: are you talking about? why the hell 350Z evolve from V35 Skyline GTR. Go do some google, and you'll see two different cars. One is actually released, the other is in the model shop. And G35 coupes and sedans are the new brand of skylines, but how the hell is that relevant here? We were talking about the unreleased GTR HERE!

And if this concept has been scrapped:

http://jbskylinegallery.com/V35/GTR/Large/V35%20GT-R%20Concept%20side.jpg

then these are the only other two available:

http://www.tenzor.cz/zikurat/Cars/Nissan_Skyline_GT-S_R35_1_2003.jpg

http://www.garagerik.be/images/fotos/skyline-r35.jpg

k3smostwanted
07-12-2004, 02:30 AM
i dont know much about the future of skylines but i do know that i dont like that third picture and if it end up looking like that i will run. the first is a little too much in my opinion but that second one is just right. still looks like what all the other skylines do in a more sleek and modern way. i doubt it will look like any of those. i could see them stickin to the basis of the infinii g35

Z_Fanatic
07-12-2004, 03:56 AM
can't say I like either one of these. that middle one from this angle looks like a damn RSX!

ZedEx
07-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Z Fanatic... 1viadrft is correct.

I can pull up about 6 dozen CAD Generations... That doesnt mean thats what the car is going to look like.

My design is based off G35 measurements, and specs. For the exception of a VH45DE engine... My own preference there :D

It looks almost similar to the teal one up there.

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE NEW GTR WILL LOOK LIKE.

Google searchs, and rumors on the internet are pointless... Time will tell. So stop worrying, and talking about it.

-Wes

1viadrft
07-12-2004, 10:14 AM
We were talking about the unreleased GTR HERE!

Really? 'Cus so was I.... :loser:

Z_Fanatic
07-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Bite me, both of you! Yo, this ain't kool, 2 gang up o' me like dat homie. Jus' keepin it real yo!

Btw, Crazy 88s suck! Remember, Hanzo steel.....

1viadrft
07-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Who's ganging up on you? Just that it would be helpful to point out your foolishness before you made yourself look st--- oh, never-mind! Too late!

Z_Fanatic
07-12-2004, 12:53 PM
hey kid, where do you live? i want all the info! :evillol:

1viadrft
07-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Why? You gonna come all the way from Florida to California to beat me up?

Believe me on this V35/G35 and R35 deal, 'kid'... I know a thing or two and so do some other people around here. We make that our business to know this stuff! You have not stumbled upon any gems of info on the internet with those pretty pix... stay tuned!

freakonaleash1187
07-12-2004, 08:51 PM
why are you all getting so hyped up about a skyline. yeah, it will be cool, but not THAT cool. f&f already ruined the skyline. and they are overrated. so don't get in a fight over it.

Add your comment to this topic!