Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Nissan Skyline R34 gt-r v-spec 2 vs. Ferrari 360 modena

Pages : [1] 2 3

94civic
12-21-2001, 05:02 PM
which one is better overall?

94civic
12-24-2001, 03:24 PM
can anyone post their opnions on their votes

moe182
12-25-2001, 12:20 PM
Ferrari, no if ands or buts....

TatII
12-25-2001, 11:36 PM
but you guys are forgettin that skyline has 2 rear seats that can sit two midgets (gettin then nothing) and it also has a decent size truck.

moe182
12-26-2001, 03:51 PM
But the Ferarri has that patented V-8 snarl that NO other car company has. And with 400hp how can you say no? And on top of ALL that you get one of the BEST looking cars on the market, and you also get to say that you drive a Ferarri as opposed to a Nissan. And as for luggage sapce, and more seats.....who cares? If you can afford either one of these cars, i doubt that these will be your ONLY cars...

TatII
12-26-2001, 11:13 PM
hahahha but he said overall, and no one every mentions practicallity. but yes the 360 is an extremely hot lookin ride, i've seen 4 already. too bad its not photogenic. i still would have a hard time chosin between this or the legendary gt-r though. you know? if your from the u.s. you would know why i would rahter chose the gt-r.

JBL85
12-26-2001, 11:50 PM
I think the skyline is better handling....probably more comfort....looks is your opinion....i dont know how fast the modena is so I cant compare it....

but these are 2 of my favorite cars, I imagine the nissan is more reliable also

GTS-4 Ben
12-27-2001, 06:07 AM
Give me the Nissan and the extra cash, Drool :rolleyes:

moe182
12-27-2001, 09:44 AM
The 360
Engine V8
0 - 60 mph 4.3 seconds
Horsepower 294.6 kw / 395.1 bhp @ 8500 rpm
0 - 100 mph 10.2 seconds
Transmission 6-Speed Manual Topspeed 304.2 kph / 189.0 mph
Weight 1390 kg / 3064 lbs
0 - ¼ mile 12.8 seconds

The Skyline
Engine Water Cooled RB26DETT Inline 6
0 - 60 mph 5.2 seconds
Horsepower 205.8 kw / 276.0 bhp @ 6800 rpm
0 - 100 mph 13.0 seconds
Transmission Getrag 6-Speed Manual Topspeed 249.4 kph / 155.0 mph
Weight 1666 kg / 3673 lbs
0 - ¼ mile 13.7 seconds

moe182
12-27-2001, 09:44 AM
Modena

moe182
12-27-2001, 09:45 AM
the skyline

moe182
12-27-2001, 09:46 AM
The interior

moe182
12-27-2001, 09:47 AM
The interior......its still a Nissan.

TatII
12-27-2001, 12:54 PM
well your comparing the slowest lauch times that i've seen for the R34. why not compare it to the more average numbers? like the upper 4's? some where inbetween 4.7 and 4.9. thats the average that i've been seein from alot of gt-r owners on this forum. plus why would the older R33 be faster at teh quarter then the newer faster R34 v-pec II? i've seen a lot best motoring videos where they drag stock R33 and it does 13 flat sometimes and the average would be 13.2. now compare that cheap turbo on the R33 to the dual ceramic turbo that the R34 has mated with the getrag 6 speed as to the older 5 speed, then you have a much faster car that is comparible to the 360. no joke. i've seen the video wheere they were doin comparo's stock for stock on best motoring. plus that was with a v-spec I and before tghe new and improved v-spec II came out. the drag results was only off by .2 secs. not too shabby for a nissan.

moe182
12-27-2001, 01:43 PM
Well all these numbers/facts are off of Supercars.net.......
But the thing i think you're missing (as most people do) is that a car is not JUST about performence. Its the same reason why the 360 beats out the 911 turbo in tests, (it was either C&D or MT i dont remember) even though the ferarri is 40K more and the Turbo does beat (by the slightest margin) the 360 in most performence tests. Or why the BMW M3 always beats out the Vette Z06 in comparisons...sure the vette is a better performer, but i mean the interior is garbage. Anyways back to the point, Ferarri represents passion, and perfection. Just the fact the Modena creates a downforce with no visable wings is impressive enough for me, throw in that ferarri snarl, and the classic gated six. ANd there is no competition, throw on all the turbos, and computers youd like nothing beats the amazing feat of true craftsmenship and engineering. Dont get me wrong i love the GT-R its just no Ferarri. If it was up against a Z06 or Viper, sure......but not a Ferarri. No.

JBL85
12-27-2001, 09:16 PM
UHh all that computer and shit is "engineering" and squeezing 300hp out of a 2.6 liter motor is engineering. The skyline is an incredible car and its a race car, not some preppy girls race car. I mean inside that Ferrari is ugly, looks like a diaper, leather is cheap leather that Land Rover uses, The Skyline uses comportable cool looking race seats

Whats the car for, Racing or Showing off?

that makes all the difference, but I am skyline all the way

TatII
12-27-2001, 10:33 PM
hahahah i agree with the craftsman ship part. and yes the ferrari is also a technical marvel. but its too much of a bitch mobile to me, that only preppy people would drive. not a car that a hardcore sports enthusiast would drive.

USA Racer
12-28-2001, 02:14 AM
The Ferrari. I don't see how it's preppy (do you guys even know what it means?) buy being more expensive, rare, faster, and lighter.

TatII: Most 360 guys I know are true sports car freaks. Other wise they would have got a Lexus like everybody else. ..."not a car that a hardcore sports enthusiast would drive"... can back this statement up?

Anyway, the Skyline is a nice car and all but you compairing it to a Ferrari. Ferrari ALWAYS wins. :)

JBL85: That 2.6L engine is also twin-turbo cahrged and intercooled. It doesn't make 300bhp either. It makes about 280bhp. You still need to do something to the RB26 to get 300 horse out of it. The Japanese made a (useless) 276bhp limit to all mass production cars (don't think 400R counts though) although the Supra Turbo and GTO (3000GT here in the States) have well over 300bhp. :)

JBL85
12-28-2001, 02:43 AM
USA RACER go race your ford or whatever american car you drive and leave the japenese cars to me

the skyline makes well over 300hp STOCK

it says 276 because thats the most a japanese production car can have.....and yeah obviously its twin turbo'ed duhhhhh everyoen knows that do you feel better by pointitn it out to me.....and wow look i have a skyling that out WEIGHS and outhandles a Ferrari, sucks for the guy who just paid a shit load more then me for a more unreliable car =)

USA Racer
12-28-2001, 02:57 AM
The Skyline doesn't outhandle the 360 you ill imformed ImportTuner reader. :p Show me a road test where the GT-R R34 beat the 360! Saying that 3400lb saloon can out handle a midengined car designed be Formula 1 professionals is a foolish statment indeed. And I prefer GM over Ford thank you. I love the GT-R myself. But it can't compair to the 360 in any way. :) Peace JBL85. :)

**OFF TOPIC**BTW, I used to live were you do. For about 5 mounths as a kid. :) Was kinda boring although it's probably a nicer place now. Are home prices expensive or sain there?**OFF TOPIC**

RazorGTR
12-28-2001, 04:38 AM
I have never had the pleasure of getting a ride in a Ferrari, but I recently was in a 2001 R34 Vspec ll . With the aircon on and two people in the car we managed to do the 0 - 100 kms in 4.8 secs flat.

For those who do not understand why a GTR is such an awesome car you need to brush up on it more before you make assumptions. The ATTESSA system in the R34 is second to none. We pulled over 1.2 G's according to the little center G-Force screen on roads that were not as smooth as a race track. For a car that weights in as much as it does the corning ability is scary.

While the GTR is not the ultimate car, don't just dismiss it so easily.

USA Racer
12-28-2001, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Razorgtst
We pulled over 1.2 G's according to the little center G-Force screen on roads that were not as smooth as a race track. For a car that weights in as much as it does the corning ability is scary.

While the GTR is not the ultimate car, don't just dismiss it so easily.

I can belive the 62mph one.... As for 1.20 G... :rolleyes: Don't you mean 1.02?? That's wild. 1.2 g is more than two tenths of a G-force more than the normal V-spec calimed to have. Insain my friend. I'm not doubting you. Just sounds crazy. Congrats if it's true though. :)

BTW, I'm not dismissing the GT-R at all. JBL85 was just dismissing the 360 when in fact he is contradicting himself.

..."leave the japenese cars to me" he said.

Last time I heard the NSX is a Honda from Japan. The Ferrari 360 is just an 'Italian NSX' if you will. The NSX 'made' Ferrari go the direction they did. With out the JAPANESE ('his' cars) NSX the 360 probably would be even softer.
:rolleyes:

Sorry JBL85. lol :) I don't mean to pick on you. Just want to state MHO. :)

TatII
12-28-2001, 10:16 AM
i guess its becuse of the people that i see driving those cars in nyc. they seem soo rich and snobby. and they think they're the shit cuse htey own one and think that they can beat anything in the street. give me a modded gt-r and i'll smoke any ferrari anyway.:sun:

RazorGTR
12-28-2001, 02:07 PM
Nope not a type. We watched the replay on the G-Force readout. It went completely off the screen. His aftermarket alloys and enormous tyres just hold the road so well.

In fact three of the corners we achieved .85 -87 G's were off camber. You could feel the car unload terribly and wiggle a bit but he kept his foot into and the front wheels pulled us around.

We are not talking about a walkin the park speed either. The average speed around these bends would have been over the 170kph (105mph) mark. These are on corners rated at 70kph (43mph).

A note to remember is that when they do comparisons look at the tracks they use. Basiclly a circut track with high banked corners. Now put those cars in a real world situtation and it becomes a totally different stroy. The Supra's, RX's, bla bla will have to slow down considerably to make the same corner the R34 just flies through. At one of our local tuning shops they get these wild vids from Japan all the time. There have been heaps of comparisons on race tracks in Japan. Ones with no banked corners. The NSX would be all over the GTR down the straights. Sometimes even begining to pull up to it, but once the tight corners hit the NSX would just fall behind further and further. Mind you these comparisons were done with off the shelf cars, no mods.

In the end if you drive a GTR into a corner hard you have to be willing to or be brave enough to just put your foot down if the back end begins to step out. The G-force sensors will kick in and apply torque to the front wheels. If you back out of well it becomes a 2wd car then. It takes big balls to get a GTR sideways and stay with it, but if you do the rewards can be awesome.

Kaneto
12-28-2001, 03:21 PM
My choice, easily the GT-R.

For one, 360s really aren't all that special here in SoCal. I can think of a handfull of people that have them locally. 550 would be a different story.

Since we're talking best overall, I have to consider price in that as well. Performance-wise they're pretty close stock. Of course the Ferrari has more power, but the Skyline has one of the best AWD systems on the planet. It does put down rediculous handling numbers stock. The GT-R can generally be had for much less than the 360 most anywhere in the world. Even here in the States it can be imported and made street-legal for less that 6 digits.

It may be 276hp stock, but minor mods on a GT-R and you have over 300hp. Change out the turbos and you can have over 450hp. All easily done, and more, for the difference in price between the two cars.

USA Racer
12-28-2001, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Kaneto

It may be 276hp stock, but minor mods on a GT-R and you have over 300hp. Change out the turbos and you can have over 450hp. All easily done, and more, for the difference in price between the two cars.

Is that little modification that every GT-R owner does to get 300bhp called seomthing? The Supra people call it BPU. I think it jsut makes the engine breath better or something.

BTW, you can twin-turbo a 360. :D lol I does the quarter mile in like 7-8 seconds. :D :)

JBL85
12-28-2001, 06:21 PM
sorry i dont know anything about honda, i forget they make real cars also, but yes refering to RAZORGTST, the skyline is a rally car also and pretty much has a computer driving for you, and the thing handles unreal.

Dyno's show the skyline is around 316 hp or something like that stock, but thats just a few of the claims I have read in magazines, maybe ill go ask in the Skyline Forum and get the real 411.

""It may be 276hp stock, but minor mods on a GT-R and you have over 300hp. Change out the turbos and you can have over 450hp. All easily done, and more, for the difference in price between the two cars. ""

the skyline is btw, known as like the most tunable car in the world or something like that, i heard its factory de-tuned to meet emissions

S Brake
12-28-2001, 08:39 PM
i think you guys know which one i will chose so i'll just post a pic for you kids to drool over.

S Brake
12-28-2001, 08:41 PM
...I'd say this car is very photogenic, from most angles that is.

JBL85
12-28-2001, 09:16 PM
I never said I didnt like the FKN thing, of course its beautiful its a Damn FERRARI. I just like Japanese and I have tons of respect for the thing and arguing/discussing with people about the car is fun =)

TatII
12-28-2001, 09:35 PM
hahahahah well i think the 360 don't look that nice in the front or the front 3/4 angle in the photos. but its beautiful as hell in person.

moe182
12-29-2001, 01:15 PM
Well while we're talkin about doin up a skyline.....why not a Ferrari?
Take a look at this, its a 2000 Ferrari Koenig 360 Modena.

"Biturbo unit has been deveolped with forged Mahle turbo pistons, modified electronics, large intercoolers & an enlarged cooling system.
The engine output can be adjusted by a handwheel from 450HP/330KW to 600HP/440KW"

Here are the stats.....
Top Speed 330 kph / 205.1 mph
0 - 60 mph 3.6 seconds
Power 447.4 kw / 600.0 bhp @ 7200 rpm
Torque 570 nm / 420.4 ft lbs @ 6000 rpm
HP / Liter 167.32 bhp per litre
Curb Weight 1568 kg / 3457 lbs

oh BTW this is all off of supercars.net

Damn, it wont let me attach the pics....they're too big.....
So heres the link

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2000@$Ferrari%20Koenig@$360%20Modena.html

RazorGTR
12-29-2001, 03:53 PM
JBL85 the Skyline was never intended or built for rally. Nissan produced the Pulsar GTiR for that purpose. The Skyline was desigend as road car and in when the R31 came out production and design shifted towards the touring car scene.

What it does it does it very well. Very few cars manufactured can compete. Those that can such as the Farrari, Porche, and lamb also cost substantially more. For the price tag of that Ferrari I could by a brand new R34 and put the rest in mods and be well over the 1,000 bhp mark with change still left over.

It is difficult to compare apples to oranges but what the hell. Until I came to New Zealand I had never heard of them let alone drove one.

JBL85
12-29-2001, 03:56 PM
not intended, but it does a damn good job, and yes.......thats one of those whole comparison things, are you comparing stock to stock, well obviously the skyline is cheaper, its japanese made and its made at a higher production level.

USA Racer
12-29-2001, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by JBL85
I have tons of respect for the thing and arguing/discussing with people about the car is fun =)

Tis true. :)

RazorGTR
12-29-2001, 05:09 PM
I love to debate on cars and do comparisons. I have learnt a lot about different cars which I did not know before. That is all good. I am still learning about the Skyline but have been doing tons of research over the past three years.

I love exotic cars! The are the cream of the crop and what every pure car enthusisats dreams of.

USA Racer
01-02-2002, 01:50 AM
Razor: How much torque in lb.-ft. does your Skyline GT-R R32 make with your current setup?
Thanks.
:)

RazorGTR
01-02-2002, 04:33 PM
I have not dynoed the car yet as the clutch is a bit stuffed but once it is done after the holidays I will be putting it up on the local dyno. It is nice as I work the dyno days so get runs for free.

My 2 liter GTS-t had 464 flb of torque at 14 psi and at 16.5 psi had 550 flbs of torque with 280 hp at the wheels.

Porsche
01-04-2002, 12:09 AM
I'm not going to vote on this, it's like having two kids and trying to decide which is your favourite, it can't be done (Un less one of them is evil... but anyways)

I don't look at these comparisons price-wise. It's not like well, I got 157K, let's I could either get a Ferrari 360 Modena, or a modded R34 Skyline and 87,000 Packs of Twinkies.

Sorry, I'm just saying both are amzing in their own respects. Their two beatuies that IMO are in the same category, and equal.

TatII
01-04-2002, 09:36 PM
*claps hands* that is a very nice neutral speech. its priceless~ :D

RazorGTR
01-11-2002, 04:42 AM
Neutral is good. Can't get pinged for that hahahaha.

TatII
01-11-2002, 02:11 PM
wow the polls are dead even. hmmmmmmmmm to skyline fans this is unusal, to ferrari fans this is unusual.

RazorGTR
01-11-2002, 06:07 PM
I never far away mate hehehehe.

Have to keep an eye on this thread closesly as I do have a vested interest as one would imagine.

94civic
01-11-2002, 07:57 PM
i really didn't think this poll will go on for so long

JBL85
01-11-2002, 08:11 PM
neither do I....but lets just all vote for nissan anyways :p

RazorGTR
01-12-2002, 05:07 AM
Yep guys with taste :)

TatII
01-12-2002, 10:56 AM
hahahaha team NISMO~!! oh wait noooooo skylines losing!!!

del
01-12-2002, 12:08 PM
i'd have both in my garage if i could. but you just can't go wrong with italian exotics. from the looks to the sound of the exhaust, it's incredible. have you driven one of these??? you really should if ever get a chance. i'll take a ferrari please. someone gimme $200,000 NOW!!!!:cool:

RazorGTR
01-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Tat with all the rules they put on the GTR it is a wonder they were even competitive this year. They also had a lot of bad luck but still a GTR managed to stay in the top 5.

Oh btw NISMO took the manufactures title :p

TatII
01-12-2002, 09:56 PM
razor what kind of handicap did they put on teh gt-r this year?

USA Racer
01-12-2002, 11:40 PM
I'd still take the Ferrari. :) ;)

Gonthrax
01-13-2002, 01:12 AM
I'm gonna have to go for the GTR, drivability wise, its the man. Like I think Razor already said, it has ATTESSA which is undisputidly the best AWD system on the planet. its TWO POINT SIX LITER engine has been seen pushing 1,000hp in tons of cars. The most powerfull one was I think the HKS car with 1,600hp! Out of a straight 6 2.6l i'll remind you agian. The RB26DETT is remarkable, ATTESSA and HICAS are remarkable. Check out the skidpad work, its crazy!
Now if you want to compair the two modded, once agian on a drivability level. Ask youself this. You enter a 70km/hr turn doin 140km/hr. You reach the apex. You yam on the gas. Would you rather be on a sure footed, computer monitored (10 times a second) AWD system that can split torque 50/50 to control your 700bhp? Or do you want your back tires to light up, kick the rear end out, and send you spinning into a tree and wrapping your brand new Farrari around it?

Ok ok, mby thats a little extream, I'm sure a good driver could drive the damn 360 around the curve, after all, it is a Farrari. I just think that on a road course, godzilla would blow the Farrari's doors off!

Ok, now what about parts? Farrari parts... Expensive, hard to get, takes FOR EVER to get them.
Nissan parts, depending on the part, you may be able to order it from a local HKS, Apex i, or even Nissan dealership. If not, just get on a NZ website and have it sent. And a bet you it won't cost as much to replace a stuffed axle on a skyline then one on a Farrari.

And now back down to earth were money DOES matter, I don't think I need to say any more then this. Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec: $50,000.00~ US Dollars to buy in Japan, $85,000~ US Dollars to get from MotoRex here in the US. Oh, and have you ever tried telling your insurance company this one, "Yes hi, I just bought a new car. What kind? Oh its a nice new RED FARRARI"

But when it all comes down to it, its a matter of personal taste, Hell I'd murder small children for either one of um! J/k Mby not small children, but old ladies yes.:D

JBL85
01-13-2002, 01:37 PM
Very good explanation, I am Skyline all the way.....damn, where is 90,000 when I need it

Gonthrax
01-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Yea really JBL, I think I'm gonna write to some rich rapper and see if he'll break me off 90gs if I show him a bad car and he can get one too :D Who know, it might work.

USA Racer
01-14-2002, 10:10 PM
I think the Ferrari is a better drivers car. The GT-R is diffenently a killer drivers car but the 360 is much better.

JBL85
01-14-2002, 11:15 PM
Better......its not even reliable.....yeah it aids you a lot in driving...but imagine a skilled driver in a car that helps you do better. WOW then you have a supercar :D

Gonthrax
01-15-2002, 01:52 AM
*Shows up with his Nismo hat on, Nismo flag in hand*
Sorry guys, I gotta come back and defend the beast. Have you seen the little LCD next to the console? It can display up to like 7 customizable dials for everything from boost to exhaust temp, it can also display a graph that shows G Forces from lateral and longitudinal acceleration, and it can do somthing else but I forget. Oh yea and you can download all this stuff onto your personal computer :) Ya know, so you can share it with all your other friends who have R34 GTRs :D

JBL85
01-15-2002, 05:06 PM
and you can drive it like crazeeee

http://www.fast-autos.net/skylinevideos.html

border_project
01-15-2002, 05:14 PM
i want the gtr
more special because there isnt that much gtr's in america. also the price difference. get a skyline and just modify it with the extra cash and you can take your girl to her favorite restaurant and still have a lot left over for the future.
another thing is turbo baby. you cant resist the feeling of being pushed back into the seat with a turbo. sure the ferrari may feel the same. but the feeling of a turbo is a lot different.
to me the skyline is more technologically advanced. well its your guys opinion. for me i would like a skyline

Gonthrax
01-16-2002, 02:02 AM
True true Border, it would cost alot less to mod a GTR. If you have enough money to buy an R34, you could probly be able to swing the bill to get it up to 700bhp pretty easily.

Add your comment to this topic!