Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with door panel

espkeeper
09-13-2003, 08:25 PM
My window motor seems to have died and I want to take a look at it. I can't seem to be able to get either the interior or the exterior panel off to see what's happening. I'm stuck on both sides with the door handle. I can't figure out how to take it off. Any ideas?

Thanks

bottlefedsaturn
09-14-2003, 10:10 PM
My window motor seems to have died and I want to take a look at it. I can't seem to be able to get either the interior or the exterior panel off to see what's happening. I'm stuck on both sides with the door handle. I can't figure out how to take it off. Any ideas?

Thanks
Shouldn't be a problem once you take the screw out of the inside of the door handle.....I have taken mine off numerous times.....

espkeeper
09-17-2003, 11:49 AM
I took the screw out, but the problem I had was that the handle was still attached to the mechanism inside and I couldn't get the panel off from around it. I'll take another look at it tonight to see if I missed anything, but any other tips you may have would be greatly appreciated.

bottlefedsaturn
09-18-2003, 08:09 PM
That's all that should be holding is that screw....at least with mine it is.....I'll take mine apart and try to help some more

Wilson_Shaw
09-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Try pushing the handle towards the front of the car, and then pull it out. There are two metal bars that attach to the back of it: one to release the door, and the other for locking. These metal bars are held in place by plastic clips. Depedning on how stiff they are, you can release them with either your thumb, or a screwdriver. Then, pull the metal bars out. If yours has automatic door locks, then use a thin screwdriver to carefully pry out the door lock/unlock swith from the top. When it's out, remove the wire clip. If all the fasteners are removed from the interior door panel, then it should just be a matter of lifting the door panel up, then out.

Note: I am not sure if this will work with the first generation S-series interior.

RangerRover
04-27-2004, 09:01 PM
well I ran into this same problem recently.. And after cursing and banging I finally got the inside door panel off, peeled off the watersheild carefully and found...... a solid steel plate with no openings. after much more cursing I looked closer and realized the OUTSIDE panel is the one that comes off, not the inside... there are i think 6 or 8 t30 torx head screws that hold on the outside panel along the edge of the door. take those off then simply pull up on the outside door handle, there is a pin you have to push out with a punch, then the handle slides off to the left, and voila, you are inside the door with MUCH more accessibility than most other cars ive worked with (cough cough ford cough)

Hope that helped...

Add your comment to this topic!