Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2008 impala LT 3.9L engine

jwichman
01-10-2020, 07:42 PM
I have a transmission cooling line leak at the metal to hose crimp fitting. It is the hose that connects to the upper radiator location. Planning to replace the hose & wondering how big of a job it is & if there are any surprises to expect. I’m familiar with the quick disconnect fittings & tool used to disconnect the hoses from the trans & radiator. Not sure how much fluid I should expect to loose or if I should replace both hoses while I’m at it (125000 miles) or should I replace the fittings as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

j cAT
01-12-2020, 08:13 PM
transmission / oil cooler lines not going to loose any fluid when replacing.
GM steel to aluminum connectors are leaking all the time. I have a 1996 Impala .. my oil cooler lines do leak many years ago. I put strong clamps over the soft aluminum connector and the leak does not drip.. replacing these hoses/lines will be a hard job because of the removal. also the new replacements will leak soon.

jwichman
02-03-2020, 08:10 PM
It was a pretty easy fix, $25 for a new hose and about 2hrs of my time. Found that the special tool for disconnecting the hose from the radiator and transmission really didn’t work very well; I ended up using a dental pick to remove the retainer. The rest of the job was pretty straight forward. New NAPA hose came with lifetime warranty, hopefully it will last another 100K miles

j cAT
02-05-2020, 01:32 PM
It was a pretty easy fix, $25 for a new hose and about 2hrs of my time. Found that the special tool for disconnecting the hose from the radiator and transmission really didn’t work very well; I ended up using a dental pick to remove the retainer. The rest of the job was pretty straight forward. New NAPA hose came with lifetime warranty, hopefully it will last another 100K miles

good work you did .. leak checks often on these lines .. I check for leaks every week..

Add your comment to this topic!