Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2006 Chevy Impala SS 5.3L

gigi8
11-06-2018, 08:30 PM
If anyone could please help I would be forever grateful. The battery light is staying illuminated - the car will start and run but the warning light comes on and says check the charging system. It has a new alternator and battery but the battery light still stays illuminated. We have checked the wiring and could not find any problems. Could it be a PCM?? Would the best thing to do is take it to a dealer. Any suggestions very much appreciated!!

maxwedge
11-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Ok, so is the charging system actually charging? Been checked with a volt meter?

gigi8
11-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Hi - yes the charging system has been checked with a volt meter.

maxwedge
11-07-2018, 09:21 AM
Ok, you need to have the bcm and pcm scanned to see why the lite is still on.

gigi8
11-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Okay-thank you - was definitely leaning towards that but open to the possibilities of checking something else.

Tech II
11-07-2018, 10:38 PM
Does the battery have an extra wire going to a sheathing around the battery cables? If yes, it's a current sensor.... It's almost like an inductive pickup....this signal goes to the BCM...
Check for codes like Max suggested...especially "B" codes....

j cAT
12-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Okay-thank you - was definitely leaning towards that but open to the possibilities of checking something else.

the alternator connections maybe the problem . also post the voltage you have measured.. 13.75-14.75VDC .. the small wire connector on the alternator sure can be a problem... I would also bring back the new ??? alternator or is this a refurbished alternator ???? .. if this new alternator is refurbished and cleaned up so it looks new then these IMO would never buy..

also my guessing is you are not the person doing this diagnostic ..if you did you would post the specific tests voltages etc..
there is a TSB on this vehicle about BCM re-programing but it may help but the light / dic may indicate this again..

these new IMPALA SS vehicles are not to my liking .. too small and not good handling with the foot on the gas.. I own a 96 Impala since day one still running great no major repairs .. I did have to replace 4 water pumps.. LOL..

Add your comment to this topic!