Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant leak 02 3.8

Dave43
05-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Hi. Have a coolant leak that appears to be coming from the water pump area.(passenger side ). But appears to be pooling of anti-freeze above the water pump under a plastic elbow. Can't seem to find any reference to name of part and hence any repair info . Anyone know the name of the plastic elbow that comes out of the block above the water pump.
Started a new post do to age but was mentioned by oldblu65 in a post from 2013.
"You likely have a leak coming from one ( or both ) of the plastic 90 degree elbows that come out of the block just above the water pump . These two elbows are held in place and sealed only with O-rings and because they are plastic , they tend to become brittle and crack with age . These elbows are under some stress as they come out of the block and enter the idler belt assembly unit body and the coolant exits the top of this unit through straight screwed - in fittings"

Dave43

aleekat
05-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Get a pressure tester. Most autoparts store have the "loan a tool" program. To confirm it is in fact the elbows. I would then go to the dealer parts guy. Most of those guys/gals are very helpful and will pull up the diagram to show the part and number.

Blue Bowtie
05-15-2018, 07:12 PM
I've had several 231 V-6s. All of them eventually got the metal replacement elbows. It's a pretty common thing after a decade or so of use.

Tech II
05-15-2018, 10:42 PM
I agree....the tensioner assembly has to be removed to install the new elbows.....that elbow that goes into the lower intake usually cracks/breaks......when you remove the tensioner assembly and pull the elbow out, a part of it will usually stay in the lower intake.....a right angle pick usually gets it out...

Add your comment to this topic!