Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AF Suzuki Katana Multiple WIP Thread

Pages : [1] 2

DOCQUINO
06-17-2010, 12:41 PM
EDITED:
News at the moment:
1.-Open to every forum members, at the moment confirmed:
docquino,
depinho,
CrateCruncher,
ales,
gionc,
rallymaster,
cinqster,
4beenevil,
pippin1974,
nakturk,
and not closed, everyone can join at any moment.
2.- Open to all Katana models, every maker or every scale, with no building or paint limits or rules.
3.- Its intended to be a long term wip, so take it slow and join when you want, we´ll try to do a very long wip.
I haven´t ordered mine, but go on holiday in a week until 3 september, I´ll star posting work in september, but the post is oficcially opened, so you can start yet.
MAIN RULE: NO RULES, NO LIMITS, dont be shy, and take your time.
Will be edited and added the new joiners.

I recently finished a Gunze BSA with a lot of headache, and in my desk there are a Guzzi centauro and a 916, both yellow, and next to be finished. I would like to do something differente, a multiple WIP perhaps? I´ve seen in the automotive section a WIP called Cayman series. We could do something similar, the same model with each one style, colour scheme...We could make a poll to choose the bike (street, please, modern or old, dont mind).

I have the following in my shelf but dont mind to buy another one if polls need.
Honda VT 250F Academy.
Honda CB750 F Imai.
Suzuki GSX 750 new Katana Tamiya.
Gunze´s Indian 1941.
Gunze´s Rikuo.
Gunze´s Kawa WIS 650.
Gunze´s BMW R69.
Honda CX 500 Turbo Tamiya.
Honda VF 750 F Tamiya.
Harley Fat Bob Imai.
Ninja ZX 12 R Tamiya.
Honda VFR 750 R (RC30) Tamiya.
Kawasaki GPZ 500 tuning Aoshima.
Krauser MKM 1000 IMAI.
Duke MHR Tamiya (to be converted into...).
Yamaha SRX 600 Tamiya (was to be converted into and old fashioned tube chrome frame and rims).
Ducati 900 SS Tamiya (was to be converted into a 750 ss).
BMW K100 Tamiya (to be converted into a K100 RS).
Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Revell.
CB 400 N Aoshima.
I´ll go tomorrow on a 15 days trip, but i´ll like to know if is of your interest, so we could be starting in a month or two, once decided.
Please

stu_davros
06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
I'd like to see a build of the Gunze 1941 Indian, nice bike but not sure how good the kit is>

depinho
06-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I think this is a great idea. I would like to participate but i have only
race motorcycles in my shelf. :dunno: Here, in Brazil, is hard to get the motorcycles kits. :uhoh:

But, your idea is build street motorcycles only with different paint schemas, without the sponsors or with the sponsors ?

If I can, I will participate. Maybe the better is choice a kit easily of the find, then we can to buy if necessary.

CrateCruncher
07-09-2010, 07:57 PM
I'd be interested in doing the Tamiya Ducati 900SS in a '74 "green frame". I've been putting off doing that one for years. I think the kit was recently reissued so it's reasonably common. One Gunze Indian was enough for me this lifetime but I'd be up for just about any other Gunze HT. The Kawa or BMW would be fun. The Rikuo is a BIG project.

On the other hand, the Indian, Rikuo and Harley would probably allow the most leeway in customizing... One not on your list is the Tamiya GSX 1100S Katana. That one could also be customized quite a bit and is common as weeds.

DOCQUINO
07-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I'd be interested in doing the Tamiya Ducati 900SS in a '74 "green frame". I've been putting off doing that one for years. I think the kit was recently reissued so it's reasonably common. One Gunze Indian was enough for me this lifetime but I'd be up for just about any other Gunze HT. The Kawa or BMW would be fun. The Rikuo is a BIG project.

On the other hand, the Indian, Rikuo and Harley would probably allow the most leeway in customizing... One not on your list is the Tamiya GSX 1100S Katana. That one could also be customized quite a bit and is common as weeds.
I have also a 900 ss built (many years ago) and one waiting, it was destined to be in the future a yellow 750 s but a 900 ss green frame is a good idea too, I love this bike (I recently bougth 0,3 wire for wire wheels...). I have a built katana but have been planning to do a new one also.
I see that we have the exact prefernces in bikes (I think real and miniature ones). My real ones are a 2004 all black bonneville 800 and a ´87 piaggio vespa 200 to be restored.
On the other hand are the gunzes ones... Your choice, or perhaps we wait someone more oppinion to join?.

CrateCruncher
07-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I started test-fitting a Honda CR-110 by Gunze Sangyo a while back. It would be a fast build (I'll eat those words...) if anyone has one laying around they'd like to build. It was kitted in the fairing version called the RC-110 and the version with no fairing I'm building.

ales
07-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Guys, may I suggest selecting a kit that is readily available for purchase?

DOCQUINO
07-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Guys, may I suggest selecting a kit that is readily available for purchase?
Of course, I would like one of the suggested, but its yet open to all kits and oll of you.

CrateCruncher
07-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Earlier in the thread I mentioned the Suzuki 1100 Katana. The full scale bikes have been the base for a lot of really wild customizations over the years giving it a kind of hot-rod reputation. Also, there are thousands of the Tamiya kits floating around and one can do alot with them.

Osamu Kunihiro (kunta) has made this kit his own with some spectacular custom builds right here on AF. Here's one:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=883474

It was issued by Tamiya in two forms: Factory stock and Custom Tuned with an aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust etc. As kunta has shown, you can do a lot with them and the kits are as cheap as they come.

Anybody else have a kit to suggest???

ales
07-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I like the Katana idea. the kit is easy enough to purchase for those who don't have it (like me) and seems simple yet detailed enough for someone who's yet to build a 1/12 bike (like me). I'd be interested in trying to build one and a group build seems as good an excuse as any.

DOCQUINO
07-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Katana´s winning at the moment, I suggest that everyone could join, with or without modiffications, stock, scrath or major conversion, no limits. I hope this will not be the last muliple WIP we can do.
This coul be a long period (all of mine are so) combining with everyone´s other projects, so people could join even if the rest started. The longest WIP ever.
I forgot to say that I must buy one, having dozens of kits I have not a katana. Bids will be increasing on ebay..... He,he..
(next duke 900-750 ss or every possible combination of classic tamiya dukes-MHR-NCR-SS?????????)

DOCQUINO
07-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Forgotten question: Open to 4 tamiya kits: 1100, 1100 tuned, 750 and 750 new katana?

ales
07-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Hope so!

I've just ordered a Tamiya 14010 1/12 SUZUKI GSX1100S Katana kit and should this theme be selected, I have a few ideas what mine should end up looking like.

gionc
08-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Mmmmm, interesting..... I'm a kinda lover of shared threads :D, but mainly I built my first and only Katana I guess 30 years ago or so.... time to do one decent... If I get the kit, I'm in! I would like the idea of a Katana cafè racer.... we'll see..

CrateCruncher
08-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Sounds like this thread is growing legs. A Cafe' racer would look very cool Gio. I'm debating whether to go for a GP look or stretch the wheelbase for a low dragster thing. Then there are the color choices....

BTW, I think any Katana should be eligible, including the 750 New Katana or the 1/8th, even the 1/6th scale if you can find one. I built the 1/6th about ten years ago and it went together great and looked real despite my rusty skills at the time. It was a very hassle-free build. They show up on feeBay now and then.

For anyone undecided, I'd recommend the Tamiya 1/12 GSX1100S "Custom Tuned" version (#14065). For about $20 US, it has all the #14010 kit plus an additional sprue of parts including: aftermarket shocks, forks, brakes, oil cooler, and a V&H 4into1 exhaust pipe. Even if you don't use them on this build the parts would be nice to have. Many LHS's (local hobby shops) keep #14065 in stock. I've even seen them at places like Walmart and Hobby Lobby here in the US.

rallymaster
08-02-2010, 04:10 PM
BTW, I think any Katana should be eligible, including the 750 New Katana or the 1/8th, even the 1/6th scale if you can find one.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM16025 :icon16:

I'm not into Motorcycle modeling, never finished the only one I started, and this Katana GSX isn't my taste, but I've been so impressed by all the builds here that group build only with fun as building goal may inspire me and convince me to join and try to build a bike only according to inspiration and fantasy, without any accuracy question or so in mind... :naughty:
Ideas don't lack, so let see if I add one to my next order.

DOCQUINO
08-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Some ideas, I´m pretty sure mine will be some like these, a modern but old styled, dark coloured cafe-racer, with multi shined exhaust.
http://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=http://www.k-factory.com/eng/ONLINE-SHOP/suzuki_bikes/gsx1100s_katana_images/gsx1100s_up1_m.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.k-factory.com/eng/ONLINE-SHOP/suzuki_bikes/gsx1100_katana.html&usg=__mhy5eJ5Ookn03-ML0_gda6QeDYo=&h=366&w=550&sz=67&hl=es&start=46&tbnid=lmN4Ye0cxnDEbM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=147&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgsx%2Bkatana%26um%3D1%26hl%3Des%26sa% 3DX%26rlz%3D1W1ADSA_es%26biw%3D999%26bih%3D519%26t bs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=419&vpy=187&dur=2578&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=164&ty=109&ei=weJXTM2aAYK34gaKysSDBw&page=4&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:46
http://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=http://dogsville.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/img164.jpg&imgrefurl=http://dogsville.wordpress.com/tag/japonesa/&usg=__b5mNowqEqUDrp6yF8sbHW4qn6c0=&h=426&w=640&sz=65&hl=es&start=138&tbnid=aifj24cV3afSTM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=147&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgsx%2Bkatana%26um%3D1%26hl%3Des%26sa% 3DX%26rlz%3D1W1ADSA_es%26biw%3D999%26bih%3D519%26t bs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=500&vpy=120&dur=47&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=118&ty=83&ei=7eJXTISLFNP_4Aa08LWbBw&page=10&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:138

ales
08-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Dibs on metallic dark blue with white wheels ;)

There are quite a few pictures of very interesting custom Katanas on the web, and also there are plenty of different "stock" versions (http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX1100S_Katana_a.shtml)and special editions that Suzuki has made over the years, so to be honest I'm still quite undecided. I kinda like the one with the red frame but I don't think the kit will have the correct wheels for that. So many choices for us all.

cinqster
08-03-2010, 11:13 AM
BTW, I think any Katana should be eligible, including the 750 New Katana or the 1/8th, even the 1/6th scale if you can find one. I built the 1/6th about ten years ago and it went together great and looked real despite my rusty skills at the time. It was a very hassle-free build. They show up on feeBay now and then.

Wheyhey...I've got the 1/6th jobbie hanging around in the attic - I'll jump in!:)

Have to be built factory stock though for me...too much scratch-building on already. It'd give me a chance to lathe up some slotted discs though, been putting that off for years!:smokin:

DOCQUINO
08-04-2010, 02:17 AM
New joiners are wellcome, lets try the longest and most rated WIP ever, It sarted yet. I hope we will be a lot more wipers.
Im thinking about and perhaps will do 2 kits at the same time, but need to start in a month due to holiday (I´ll be in a trip).
Lets go and....start.
Dont forget to rate the WIP if you like it.
The ones who dont join, enjoy this.

ales
08-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Are you guys thinking one big (hopefully) progress thread for all builds? That's what I'd like to see and that's what seems most logical.

cinqster
08-04-2010, 06:30 AM
New joiners are wellcome, lets try the longest and most rated WIP ever, It sarted yet. I hope we will be a lot more wipers.
Im thinking about and perhaps will do 2 kits at the same time, but need to start in a month due to holiday (I´ll be in a trip).
Lets go and....start.
Dont forget to rate the WIP if you like it.
The ones who dont join, enjoy this.

Cool...this could be like a 'Katana World Cup' (just hope England doesn't have its usual poor performance!) :o)

Doc, any good modelshops in Cordoba? Heading over there for a few days, late September!:smokin:

DOCQUINO
08-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Are you guys thinking one big (hopefully) progress thread for all builds? That's what I'd like to see and that's what seems most logical.
That was I was thinking, but if anyone prefers another way....

While waiting for first builts up, you can submit photos of actual bikes to be inspired...

gionc
08-04-2010, 04:01 PM
That was I was thinking, but if anyone prefers another way....

While waiting for first builts up, you can submit photos of actual bikes to be inspired...

... so this thread would be the "workshop"? :D

I like a lot messy huge shared threads, with ton of off topics, gags and insane modeling..... :D

My idea needs a sketch to be shared: BTW the ingredients would be:

- The Katana 1/12 Tamy kit: I gues I would take the engine block, the kind "nose" but not much other :D LOL

- one Suzuki 500 ('99-2000) incomplete kit as donor for racing slicks and wheels, and some other racing accessories

- the Bimota tesi started (ok... unfinished..) kit as donor for the subframe (I would like to develop the idea of a self-backing engine, like the ducatis or the tesi..) and front fork..... we'll see

anyway.... messy project by my side ;)

rallymaster
08-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I think I'm convinced...
I'll go for a fantasy model build (to hide eventual lack of skills for motorbikes :icon16:) with something like a chopper, or maybe even a 3 wheels prototype... :screwy: Not decided yet but I don't think there will be many box parts. :p

QUESTION:
does anyone know about a blue print of this Suzuki Katana somewhere ?

I think I'll try to draw something before starting to cut and glue playing with plastic card...:rofl:

cinqster
08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Well, there's me saying I'd go factory stock, mainly because that extended swing-arm drag bike thing has never done anything for me and then, hell, I spot this!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb224/cinqster-photo/yoshi-400copy.jpg

Trying to talk myself out of building this beastie now!:)

Phil, no blueprints but loads of very square-on side shots of Katana's on Google.

rallymaster
08-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Ok thanks for the answer, right, I'll try my best with a side shot picture. Anyway I already now plus or minus what I'd like to do with the model. I'll see soon if this is possible or not !! :naughty:

EDIT:

Finally found one blue print !

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/motorcycles/suzuki/suzuki-gsx1100s-katana-custom-tuned.gif

CrateCruncher
08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Well I guess I'll be the first to post a progress shot. It's not much change at first glance....
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp280/cratecruncher/Custom%20Katana/swbfrt001.jpg
But....having logged a few hours on these beasts I have some definite ideas of what I'd like to change. The '81 Katana was a compromise. The engine was amazing but the frame and suspension were really just off-the-shelf touring bike bits. I want to make this bike handle as good as it looks.

To do it I first removed 10 degrees of rake from the neck to get faster turning. I shortened the front forks 5mm to compensate and shift some weight. Then I removed 8mm from the rear swingarm to further shorten the wheelbase (overall a 20% reduction!). Then I raised the back end for ground clearance.

That bicycle built for three seat has always bugged me so the shorter wheelbase was a chance to shorten that thing to something more reasonable. (Hey, any chick that needs that much seat should get her own bike anyway!:evillol:)

The straight pipes were just playing around. I'm not sure if they'll be staying. I still want to do some more with the seat so that will likely change a bit. The carbs are a bit boring in stock form so I'll machine some nice trumpets for those. I have a thing for Vincent twins.

All said, this is turning out to be just what I needed to get me back into building. I kept choosing historical subjects that were getting tedious. It's nice to just let go and get creative for a change.

4beenevil
08-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Been reading this a while and thought why not.
Looking at something along this line.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/gemsandpaul/finished.jpg

Cheers Paul

Pippin1974
08-06-2010, 01:35 AM
I have 3 katanas to made.....nice excuse to start one!!!!

ales
08-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Nice to see some of you have already started this!

I have the kit now but I probably won't have time to do anything with it until next week. In the meantime I've change the thread title now that we (sort of) know what we're doing :)

cinqster
08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
1/6th tank painted.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb224/cinqster-photo/Katanatankpaintedsmall.jpg

:naughty:

Forgotton how good the 1/6th version is - I'd put it down as Tamiya's best big bike model.

Pity I only have the Japanese instructions! LOL!

depinho
08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh Great !!!!

I have just bought my Katana at HobbySearch, :naughty: but the kit should take about 20 days to arrive... :shakehead

gionc
08-06-2010, 02:06 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh Great !!!!

I have just bought my Katana at HobbySearch, :naughty: but the kit should take about 20 days to arrive... :shakehead

Mine would be in my hands in a few :D

Meanwhyle I'm playing with crazy ideas: I would like a 100% stress release-full creativity nut job, but can't stop to re watch the fine and elegant tuned things you posted....

but at last I think I wouldn't live with those prehistoric frame and with only 100HP..... incidentally I have to convert a 1/12 Porsche RSR turbo on one athmospheric SC group 4 so... I would have a full huge 1/12 turbine.... if only I find room.....

cinqster
08-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Don't worry Fabiano, I'm the slowest builder you'll ever see! :)
Nice website you've got there - can't read a word of it, but nice all the same!

cinqster
08-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Meanwhyle I'm playing with crazy ideas: I would like a 100% stress release-full creativity nut job, but can't stop to re watch the fine and elegant tuned things you posted....

but at last I think I wouldn't live with those prehistoric frame and with only 100HP..... incidentally I have to convert a 1/12 Porsche RSR turbo on one athmospheric SC group 4 so... I would have a full huge 1/12 turbine.... if only I find room.....
Hope you're going to have some fun putting the rain gutters back on, Gionc?:runaround:

DOCQUINO
08-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Cool...this could be like a 'Katana World Cup' (just hope England doesn't have its usual poor performance!) :o)

Doc, any good modelshops in Cordoba? Heading over there for a few days, late September!:smokin:
Not very good shops, but there are 2 not bad, "los Guillermos", near Tendillas Sqare (the Center of Cordoba) and "Ala Delta" in Diego serrano Street. If you come here, call me and perhaps we could see us.

I´m gratey surprised of how does this is growing up, and I´ve not my katana in hands and cant start i yet. I have a 750 new katana too, started but a lot of time ago, perhaps I built it at the same time, one stock and the 1100 heavily modified. Im thinking about to wear big wired wheels and a heavy fork from an NR 750.
Something like this:
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/docquino/katana_1.jpg
Or this one:
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/docquino/gsx1100s_up1_m.jpg
But wired and chrome wheels like these:
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/docquino/ideas-basculant-fzrgsx.png
But not really decided yet....

rallymaster
08-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Also thought to it myself for a moment, seeing that pic (http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/phil67c/?action=view&current=CUSTOM20PROJECT20WORKING208.jpg) :naughty:

There are many possibilities, shorten wheelbase... Or lengthen it, btw with turbo (http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/phil67c/Katana_gsx-Mpatsos201.jpg) :runaround: or not (http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/phil67c/katanaug3.jpg) :eek7:

But mine will finaly more look like this one (http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/phil67c/sm26_suzuki750_3.jpg) or something close to that... That's the look that's inspiring me... For the moment, let's see in a 15/20 days when kit arrives. :)

gionc
08-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I quickly sketched on DOQUINO pict my thoughts..... they need to be well designed in the pipe subframe area, my inspiration would be the Ducati 888 upper frame, the two swing arms backing and their own design needs to be imagined better, but at least I would like to achieve something similar: one atomic mix of Katana style and italian traditions :D :D :D

Do you think I can close up a ducati or guzzi twin inside the Suzuki L4? :D

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/varie/bimokatana.jpg

CrateCruncher
08-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Gawd! I almost fell off my chair when I saw that thing - then realized it was two different bikes. Gio, I think you should build it but also add that 930 turbo somewhere under the seat! It could double as a seat warmer when you ride in the Alps.:iceslolan

The wheels and rubber in your Tesi kit would look good on it too. (My 916 kit is dangerously close to being pilfered while this project is going on...)

cinqster
08-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Nearly talked myself out of the factory stock look tonight. Tried the 1/6th NSR500 wheels and tyres from that dreadful Italeri Rossi kit. Made me laugh for about 30 minutes then decided that the pure Katana styling is actually quite refreshing after nearly 30 years. Factory stocker it is! :)

But yes, that three seater look is rediculous!

gionc
08-08-2010, 03:49 AM
[quote=cinqster;6735092

But yes, that three seater look is rediculous![/quote]

:D I guess it is in the Suzuki DNA :evillol:

My first "bike" was a Suzuki 400 Burgman sccoter, I done I guess one million Km with the wife and the small daughter closed up in the middle :D, and my mate done the pair with his burgman (we looked as the "Chips") with his wife and the small daughter as the wurtel in the hot-dog :D

@C.C.: actually it is not two bike stiched but just few copy/paste and some vectors on PSD ;) :D

DOCQUINO
08-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Mine could be something like this one:
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/docquino/6236343561303136.jpg

But a stock version from 1983, with 16´front wheel and 17* rear, same as the new katana seems attractive too.

1982 (large wheel but not the same pattern as first series and tamiya´s)
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/docquino/1982_GSX750SD_Katana_450.jpg

1983 with 16-17´wheels and upper handlebarhttp://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/docquino/1983_GSX750S2_Katana_450.jpg:
Same wheels than the 1985 new katana, which tamiya´s kit could be donor:

And 1985 new katana
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/docquino/1985_GSX750SE_Katana_450.jpg
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/docquino/1984_GSX750S_Katana_520.jpg

I¨m in doubt now....
Start rating the thread if you like it.....

Someone loves this bike...me too...
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/docquino/750s-completion1_22.jpg

CrateCruncher
08-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Hey Doc, that first photo with the hot girl behind it is the first one I've ever seen with a shortened seat. Looks like they put a smaller wheel on the front but didn't change the wheelbase or rake angle. Interesting bike. And then there's the Imola green frame - I have a Protar 750 Sport in 1/9th that just needs decals and a fairing, or the Tamiya 1/12th 900SS that needs a lot more bits to get there. If somebody made a decent transkit for the Tamiya I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Cinq, I did my 1/6th stock too. It's such a nice kit I don't think I could bash it either. BTW, I pulled my 1/6th out of the case today and it's surprisingly not all that bad considering when I built it. (It's HUGE!) If you think it interests you I'll take a pic or two and post them in the completed section.

depinho
08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
cinqster, thank you for visit my website, i am working in the english version !

Good news. Hobby Search send me an email today. My Katana posted!!!

cinqster
08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
cinqster, thank you for visit my website, i am working in the english version !

Good news. Hobby Search send me an email today. My Katana posted!!!

Doh...have you tried eBay? There's usually some cheap ones on there, the 1/6th kit always seems to go for a good price.

cinqster
08-09-2010, 09:21 AM
If you come here, call me and perhaps we could see us.

Cheers Doc, will do! Any good wide, hilly roads and smooth plazza for skating? May bring a longboard over (if my wife doesn't kill me first)!:smokin:

Oh yeah, I saw one of these yesterday...had completely forgotten about this bike. Lots of parts are interchangable with the Katana:

http://feralinjection.com/cbr/Turbo1.html

DOCQUINO
08-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I go on 20 days holydays, and will not have internet, SLOW BUILT AND WAIT FOR ME, i´ll be here in a few days....

rallymaster
08-10-2010, 03:36 PM
HLJ informed me that my order with the kit is on the way, so I won't have it in hands before 15/20 days too... Let's wait...

gionc
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I ordered mine thursday from Hiroboy and received today by air mail... I think it is the usual awesome service we're used.....

By the way I spent the day with the family in the mountain's house but when I back home I couldn't stop myself to cut few pieces and try something....

I think I do back with my thoughts and try the way of a sport tuning: I wouldn't sacrify a great kit like the Suzuki GSXr 500, I'll use few pieces like the fork (with some metal machining) and brakes, wheels and rubbers from the Bimota as well as other few things, but not the front mono-fork... not this time :D I got too much hard committment, and I need just a soft build to release stress... and so it would be! So: lower the nose, higher the ass it would be my motto for my Kata-weapon! And for the mechanic, never a turbo, I'll focus my attention on a great 4-in-one exaust (got Hiroboy's soft tubes.... someone tryed yet?) and on the sporty's sunspensions ;)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/varie/DSC_0212.jpg

I want to share a box art also: this is one of the best Tamy's attempts to me

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/varie/DSC_0213-1.jpg

I felt a mixed feeling when I opened the box: I built this kit almost 30 years ago, with a novice's skills and rough tools/supply: the mold is amazing for the date (print 1982), some fittings or parts (chain) aren't so good also compared with actual standards: aniway I was emotioned, quite emotioned like a kid!!!!

depinho
08-18-2010, 07:53 AM
I found a Katana in a local hobby store !!! :) This is my Katana, the GSX 750, arrived yesterday ! :naughty:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/pesdeborracha/katana/14034_SuzukiKatana.jpg

The-Katman
08-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Ok, I'm a little confused, is this open to any scale/make or just the Tamiya one's??

ales
08-23-2010, 01:22 AM
It's open to any scale/make

rallymaster
08-24-2010, 01:11 PM
got mine during my trip to german rally, busy week after 5 days absent from work but I may start something this weekend.

DOCQUINO
09-03-2010, 05:33 AM
Ok, I'm a little confused, is this open to any scale/make or just the Tamiya one's??
Open to any Katana, any brand, any scale, JOIN US.

Mine has just arrived, postman came 5 minutes ago.....going to open the box..........

depinho
09-03-2010, 07:38 AM
I started mine, finally :-)

The engine:
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/pesdeborracha/katana/katana_002.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/pesdeborracha/katana/katana_003.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/pesdeborracha/katana/katana_004.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/pesdeborracha/katana/katana_005.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/pesdeborracha/katana/katana_006.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/pesdeborracha/katana/katana_007.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/pesdeborracha/katana/katana_008.jpg

Regards

CrateCruncher
09-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Nice progress Depinho! Any plans for mods or "improvements" on your 750?

I'm currently back on my P4 till Docquino gets back from holiday. He sounded worried we'd all be finished before he could even get started. (He obviously hasn't seen the snails pace at which I build, haha.)

cinqster
09-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Looks good already!:wink:

Got the frame done, but a couple more weeks for mine to get going, got to finish my college work first!:banghead:

depinho
09-03-2010, 10:01 AM
CrateCruncher
My intend is to do something like the commemorative version, but without modifications... :uhoh: Then I will focus in the color schema. :naughty:

Cingster
Thanks for your comments :thumbsup:

CrateCruncher
09-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Here is an update on my project:
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp280/cratecruncher/Custom%20Katana/swbfrt004.jpg
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp280/cratecruncher/Custom%20Katana/swbfrt006.jpg
I added a flush fuel cap to the tank and tried to sand it to make the profile a bit flatter. I'm also playing around with the side fairing shape and raising the seat height. Interesting that the designer's original pilot seat was higher than the pillion behind it. Suzuki lowered it drastically for production. I guess tall people can ride a short bike but not the other way around...

The bike is starting to look compact and muscular. I think it looks kinda like a futuristic Laverda? Anyone else got some progress to share?...

Add your comment to this topic!