Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 10:15 PM   #1
CivSiGuy
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CivSiGuy
*Review* Apexi WS Exhaust

Alright, what everyone has been waiting for. Apexi WS.. the real story.

I bought my Apexi WS from a groupbuycenter.com buy for $375 shipped. That was the main reason I bought it over a Thermal R&D catback, along with its promised look and sound.

Just some basic information about the exhaust: The piping is 2.25" diameter compared to 1.75" stock. The tip on the end is 4inches in diameter, but really doesn't look it at all. "Apexi" is etched into both sides of the tip. The kit comes in 3 pieces as opposed to the stock 2 piece exhaust. The muffler and tip are the only pieces of the exhaust are stainless, the rest is heat treated with an excellent coating of something. But it's not gonna rust, I can tell.

Install was about as straightforward as you're gonna get. Unbolt and rebolt. The rubber hangers can be a pain at times, but once you get them off the stock exhaust (hangers will probably be rusted), putting them back on is a snap. A weird thing during install: the exhaust gives 2 hangers right after the catalytic converter while the car only supplies 1 mount. That really beats me. To get around that, we just tied the other hanger to the subframe with some heavy wire. Rigged it? nah.

Ok.. time for the fun part. Actually driving the car w/ it. Upon starting it up, don't be alarmed of the massive amount of white smoke pouring out of the tailpipe, its just the interior of the exhaust burning itself out. The sound at idle is awesome; deep, yet quiet. It gives a hint that it means business, but doesnt scream it like an N1 persay. Pulling out of the driveway with windows down and a temperature of about 35 degrees, it sounds sweet from take off up until about 4500-5000rpm. At that point, it tapers away and lets the intake have its turn to make some music. If you want an exhaust that's gonna turn heads when driving through town at low rpms (2500-3500), this is what you want. Power gain? oh yeah. The car feels like its been loosened up so much more now. The engine just keeps revving faster with every new mod and this one kept the trend going. I'm confident with i/h/e that i can run extremely low 15's or better, the car just feels that good.

Overall, hell of a part to buy. Cheap, sleeper looks, awesome sound. 9 out of 10.

[IMG]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NQAZG2ASIQGI0l9fva1Muehr4*wWiG*kl7V5rx5deZtQvpcah od8tQ9cs0cO2p7P0fORY*AjqYZa52haxEgjJg/exhaust_rear.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NAD7BQMSde2I0l9fva1Muaj*hhIXM0nK0ts67BtX9dGZdwq9W lNPWJ1WNZfh5tYskfiCvF7FCZFBxovLhgtlJQ/exhaust_tip.jpg[/IMG]

(yes my car is filthy)

Last edited by CivSiGuy; 03-29-2002 at 12:02 AM.
CivSiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 10:20 PM   #2
1995HondaCivic
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 1995HondaCivic
Thumbs up

nice, good review
1995HondaCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 10:21 PM   #3
1993HondaCivic
AF Enthusiast

good to see someone else with the ws
good review
Old 03-28-2002, 10:27 PM   #4
nittanys1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nittanys1
DAMNIT I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!!!! you had your car repainted, right? NICE CAR!!! WANT ONE SO SO BAD.....o yeah good review
nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 10:37 PM   #5
CivSiGuy
Banned

the paint is stock.. sunlight makes it super bright in pictures
Old 03-29-2002, 12:06 AM   #6
delsolguy
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to delsolguy
Fantastic. Looks really good. Also glad to see that you didn't go with an exhaust that...well, one that "makes vTeCh scream when it kicks in y0!"
delsolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 12:10 AM   #7
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

very nice review. informative.

car's looking good too... bah, who washes their cars these days anyway??

» Supercharged 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe
» Info | Teaser Video | Dyno Video | Dyno Graph
j.fuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
CivSiGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by delsolguy
Fantastic. Looks really good. Also glad to see that you didn't go with an exhaust that...well, one that "makes vTeCh scream when it kicks in y0!"
what can i say.. I'm keeping the sleeper style alive

Fuggi.. I'll wash it up and take updated pics of the car so you can wish you had a 6th gen.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:16 AM   #9
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by CivSiGuy

what can i say.. I'm keeping the sleeper style alive

Fuggi.. I'll wash it up and take updated pics of the car so you can wish you had a 6th gen.
yea sleeper...

i like 6th gens too.

and dude.. i bought a meguiars cleaning package for only like $30 and you get:
1 Gold Class Wash & Conditioner
1 Gold Class Liquid Wax
1 Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel
1 Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner
1 Quik Detailer
2 Ultimate Wipe
1 Cotton Wash Pad

sorry.. back to topic now.. hehe

» Supercharged 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe
» Info | Teaser Video | Dyno Video | Dyno Graph
j.fuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 12:20 AM   #10
Darkwing
AF Enthusiast

I so hate you. I was just sold on the CD changer and speakers (total of about $350) and then I go and read this. I hate you I hate you I hate you. I won't be able to go to sleep tonight cuz now I cant decide. That sounds like the PERFECT exhaust for me. Looks so tight too. And cheap as phuck.

*starts crying*

Will anyone lend me $400 so I can have both? I'll be your best friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnd!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 12:51 AM   #11
CivSiGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkwing
I hate you I hate you I hate you. I won't be able to go to sleep tonight cuz now I cant decide.
I love it when people get like that.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:05 AM   #12
naughty_WOOD
AF Newbie

why not n1 or greddy evo?

Dude i am happy you got the world sport exhaust cheap but.....why not go for something less restrictive, if you have got plans to turbocharge your car (hopefully you do or you dream about it all night) you need something that focuses on flow instead of muffling the sound, so you wont have to spend $500 additional dollars on a less restrictive exhaust when you go forced induction.

FORGIVE ME I AM BEING A JERK AND A KNOW IT ALL, COME TO THINK OF IT WHY AM I WRITING THIS......whatever i am idiot
naughty_WOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 02:07 AM   #13
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Very nice review, just the kind of thing I'd like to see more of around here as well.

I was just within the past couple months leaning more towards the WS exhaust for my '00 DX coupe. I have the intake which (for the APC shorty I have at least) already makes my car sound like it has a deep exhaust at lower RPMs, but I need/want something that'll make my car noticed without having to be WOT. I also like the WS since it was designed with the Civic in mind as well, so I hear it works a lot better with our cars. But I also want it for power of course, and at least on N/A cars, I hear the WS delivers quite nicely in that department. I want an exhaust that'll get noticed, but not in an obtrusive, or annoying way like the Dunk can be. That one is quite buzzy in the higher RPM range. Not to mention the WS is well suited for someone like me that's on a tight budget, but still wants a complete quality system. I guess for my DX, since my cat is built into the stock exhaust manifold, I'd have to get an extension pipe cut to the length of the EX cat, since the exhaust wouldn't fit all the way back to my manifold. Is this hard or esy to do, and how much would a flanged about 2 foot extension like this cost?
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 04:36 AM   #14
Beyond Imagination
AF Fanatic

Re: why not n1 or greddy evo?

Quote:
Originally posted by naughty_WOOD
Dude i am happy you got the world sport exhaust cheap but.....why not go for something less restrictive, if you have got plans to turbocharge your car (hopefully you do or you dream about it all night) you need something that focuses on flow instead of muffling the sound, so you wont have to spend $500 additional dollars on a less restrictive exhaust when you go forced induction.
Not everyone decides to go turbo ... and not everyone wants a loud exhaust ... especially a daily driver ...
Old 03-29-2002, 01:55 PM   #15
liquid8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to liquid8
nice choice man. i do hate those annoying ass loud mufflers that you see around sometimes. you know those damn cars that have some loud ass exhaust and are only barely pressing the pedal. once again good choice