Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Dspade
AF Newbie

Unhappy Crankshaft Position Sensors

Can someone PLEASE tell me where the upper and lower crankshaft position sensors are located on a 2001 Aurora 4.0? I have to replace mine very soon and need to know where they are located... Thanks for your help
Dspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
ottoracefan
AF Newbie

Re: Crankshaft Position Sensors

The two crankshaft position sensors are located next to each other at the lower front center of the engine block. Put the car on ramps, remove the black plastic splash pan and you will see them. They each have a wiring connector that is a little tricky to remove if you have large hands and arms. A 10mm socket is needed to remove the single bolt holding each, a swivel and extensions come in handy.

Replace both sensors, if one is bad the other will be going soon. If you're going to make it a DIY job, buy them from one of the online GM parts sources. Some people (and the dealer) will tell you that a relearn procedure is required after changing the sensors - - it is NOT necessary, simply change them out and the computers will relearn during the initial start/shutdown cycles.
ottoracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
AF Newbie

All seem well and good but I think you will have a problem getting the upper crank sensor out because it hits the alumium AC hose which can be moved. I recently decided that the AC compressor might have to be loosened in order to get enough room to replace upper crank sensor. Hope I am wrong!
55624096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
ottoracefan
AF Newbie

I did not have clearance problems when removing either sensor. The only difficulty I encountered was reaching the sensors and bolts since I have large hands and arms.
ottoracefan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora