Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
Catterman
AF Newbie

Question 95 Accord EGR problem. HELP!!!

Hello, my first post!!!

I have a 95 Accord EX 4-cyl VTEC auto with 108,000 miles. This problem has been going on for 2+ year and I can't get a machanic to fix it.

My check engine light comes one when engine is cold and after car has been driven about 2 miles and has warmed up. If I stop and shut the car off, then turn it back on, the check engine light will not come back on. I pulled the blue two-pin and jumped it and got a code of “12”, so I replaced the EGR valve, however the check engine light still reacts in the exact same way. I am also only getting about 27 mpg. Any ideas??? Could it just be the Vacuum Solenoid, or clogged ports??? Thanks so much!
Catterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
jlcljayne
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Accord EGR problem. HELP!!!

I am by no means a honda expert...recently purchased a 1995 Accord V6 with egr problems. I have been doing a lot of research and it suggests that Honda had to extend their emissions warranty due to a lawsuit. It extends coverage period 14 years from manufactured date and up to 150,000 miles. Both of which you seem to qualify for.

Do some searches online for accord extended emissions warranty for more information. Your dealer should take care of your egr problems at no cost to you.
jlcljayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
Catterman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcljayne
I am by no means a honda expert...recently purchased a 1995 Accord V6 with egr problems. I have been doing a lot of research and it suggests that Honda had to extend their emissions warranty due to a lawsuit. It extends coverage period 14 years from manufactured date and up to 150,000 miles. Both of which you seem to qualify for.

Do some searches online for accord extended emissions warranty for more information. Your dealer should take care of your egr problems at no cost to you.
WOW, that is a new one for me, I will see what I can find, let me know if you, or anyone else, has any other ideas. Thanks so much
Old 01-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

The EGR ports are probably clogged also. There is a cover on the 4cyl. engines. If you look on the intake manifold just under the injectors you will see a plate thats held in with 4-5 10 mm blots. Thats the egr passegase. They are probably clogged.

The innjectors and rail need to come out in order to get to them. make sure to replce the injector seals and the plate gasket
Old 01-20-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
Catterman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorunner
The EGR ports are probably clogged also. There is a cover on the 4cyl. engines. If you look on the intake manifold just under the injectors you will see a plate thats held in with 4-5 10 mm blots. Thats the egr passegase. They are probably clogged.

The innjectors and rail need to come out in order to get to them. make sure to replce the injector seals and the plate gasket
I am not the most mechanical person, but I can follow directions. Do you know of a step by step list that I could follow? Or is it as simple as removing the intake manifold, injectors, and rail? Thanks so much.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

The manifold stays in the car. the rail and injectors come out. If you unbolt the 10 mm nuts from the rail you can leave the top part of the injector in the rail and carefully remove the injector out of the manifold. this way you won't disturb the upper seals and all that needs to be replaced is the lower ones.

Once the rail/injectors are out of the way the plate has 4-5 10mm bolts holding it down. Take the plate off and turn it upside down. You will see all the carbon packed in it. Clean it out. Look were the plate goes and you will see 4 round holes. they are more than likely packed solid. Take a few drill bits and start small. Using your hand you should be able to drill the bits in the carbon until you are all the way through. Just work your way up in size untill its all gone. then put everything back.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
BIAR
AF Regular

lorunner,I have always just used a coat hanger straightened out with some carb cleaner to clean the holes out(after removing the plate).I haven,t seen them bad enough for a drill.I reuse the gasket also.
BIAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
somick
AF Enthusiast

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

A coat hanger or a pick will work but thats just sloppy. A drill is more percise and if its the exact size of the hole you know you got it all.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
Catterman
AF Newbie

Thanks so much guys, I will try it. So is this like a 1-2 hour job then?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #11
BIAR
AF Regular

I don,t think over half an hour.Yours is one of the easiest hondas to clean 90 to 93 had no cover so you had to do some drilling.

I would disconnect the battery( there is going to be some fuel).
Take the nuts off the fuel rail and lift up on the rail(wear some glasses).
Try to leave the injectors in the top half of the rail.I do unplug them,for room.
Then remove the nut for the plate and the plate.
There is going to be a metal gasket,clean it off and the inside of the plate.
Then take something,( I use a coat hanger end,) and clean the holes in the manifold.
After cleaning ,reinstall the plate and gasket.
I like to put some grease on the rubber grommets and put them in the head and then install the injectors.
Of course after you are done,Check for leaks.
I very seldom have to replace any gaskets or o-rings ,but it sure can,t hurt.
Best of luck with it.I agree with lorunner also ,this is just the way I do them.

lorunner, I just reread about the drill bits.I see you said use them by "hand".That is a good ideal.I thought at first you were saying use a drill to clean them.I need to be more careful with my reading.
BIAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #12
Catterman
AF Newbie

Thanks, I will give it a shot this weekend if I can get into my dad's heated garage.

On a final note, do any of you know where I can find pictures of this? I will try and take some too and post them here for future reference for others.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
Catterman
AF Newbie

Well 3 of my ports were fully plugged. Got it all taken care of. It even idels smoother. However, 5 miles down the road my check engine light came right back on, same code 12... Should I now try and replace the EGR vacuum solinode? Or any other ideas? Thanks so much for all your help.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:32 PM   #14
mpumas
AF Enthusiast

As I understand the EGR valve code. The ECU sends a signal to the EGR valve to open. A sensor on the valve reads if the valve has opened and sends the information to the ECU. If the valve has not opened to the position the ECU has told it to open to, you get an code 12 ECL. The only way you know that the ports are clogged is by failing the NOX test or rough idleing during that time when the EGR is open. Maybe lorunner can expand on my understanding of the way it works.

If you are still getting a code 12, then the valve is not opening because of a vaccum valve/solenoid problem, an EGR valve problem or the sensor that is attached to the EGR problem. You can pull a vaccum on the EGR valve and measure resistances to see if the sensor and valve is OK and then go from there. Keep us advised of what you find.
mpumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
Catterman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpumas
If you are still getting a code 12, then the valve is not opening because of a vaccum valve/solenoid problem, an EGR valve problem or the sensor that is attached to the EGR problem. You can pull a vaccum on the EGR valve and measure resistances to see if the sensor and valve is OK and then go from there. Keep us advised of what you find.
Thanks, do I just go to AutoZone and get a device to measure the vacuum? I did find a used vacuum control solenoid for $50, they had a EGR position sensor too if that could also be the problem.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid