Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
02RADO
AF Newbie

Intermediate Shaft Steering Clunk

Anyone had the dealer tell you the intermediate shaft clunk of the steering can be fixed with grease?
Is this normal??

Thanks in Advance

02 silverado 4.8

Noise from Steering at Low Speeds #PI00299 - (07/30/2002)
Noise from Steering at Low Speeds
.When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:
Rattle, noise emanating from the steering column, particularly during low speed parking lot maneuvers.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Verify noise is from stub shaft bearing area.
Replace stub shaft bearing with kit part number 26099860.
Also, a special tool is required to complete the repair. You must use Essential Tool J-45798 to avoid damage to the bearing seal. The repair procedures are available in SI (Service Information) to install the new bearing

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt In the steering wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003B - (01/24/2003)
Clunking Noise Under Hood and can be felt in the Steering wheel (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2003 GMC Sierra

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

With Recirculating Ball-Type Steering

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and models and Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003A (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction

Important
DO NOT REPLACE THE FOLLOWING INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT P/Ns

Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419. Follow the service procedure below.

Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position.

From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.
Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.
From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column shaft.
From under the hood, slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.
From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

Remove the spacer clip from the end of the intermediate shaft with a pair of needle nose pliers.
Fully extend the shaft by pulling the two shafts apart.

Apply the syringe of grease supplied in the Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419, into the open end of the shaft. Direct the syringe tip as deep as possible into the shaft and dispense the full content of the syringe.

Insert the plug supplied in the Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit into the open end of the shaft and finger tighten the wing nut.

Place the plugged end of the shaft on a hard surface and apply pressure to collapse the shaft and dissipate the grease through the shaft.
Remove the plug from the shaft and fully extend the shaft.

Inspect the shaft for a minimum of 13 mm (1/2 in) of grease on the shaft splines.
Repeat steps 10-12 if less than 13 mm (1/2 in) of grease is on shaft splines.
Clean the excess grease off of the shaft splines and around the shaft opening.

Carefully spread apart the spacer clip with a pair of pliers.

Reinstall the spacer clip into the open end of the shaft.

Align the spacer clip with the stakes in the shaft.
Reinstall the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.
Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.
Install the upper bolt and nut. Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 47 N·m(35 lb ft).

Install the lower bolt and nut. Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 50 N·m(37 lb ft).

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Lubrication Kit, Steering Column Intermediate Shaft
02RADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
odie79
AF Newbie

Re: Intermediate Shaft Steering Clunk

Yes a close friend of mine had the same problem and the dealer told him to grease it. It did work and as far as i know it is common. My friend has a 99 Z71 i dont know how much changed between 99 and 2002 but If it is not the same steering system it is probably similar.
odie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
WGP
AF Newbie

I had the grease job on my 03 2500HD Duramax and so far it has held for about 6kmiles. However I read a post on TheDieselPlace.com forum (TSB Section) that GM has a new replacement shaft and that they no longer recommend the grease job as a fix.

TSB is as follows:

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt In Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003E - (Jul 20, 2004)
Clunking Noise Under Hood and can be felt in Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2003 GMC Sierra
2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2003 HUMMER H2
with Recirculating Ball-Type Steering
This bulletin is being revised to include the replacement of the intermediate shaft . Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003D (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction
Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

Parts Information
Part Number 88963611: Shaft, Upper Intermediate ShaftUse on all 1500 Series trucks:Except EscaladesExcept DenalisExcept Avalanches

Part number 89060582: Shaft, Upper Intermediate ShaftUse on all 2500 and 3500 Series Trucks and EscaladesDenalisAvalanchesH2

WGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:50 AM   #4
Nave
AF Newbie

Quote..
However I read a post on TheDieselPlace.com forum (TSB Section) that GM has a new replacement shaft and that they no longer recommend the grease job as a fix..

If it is in a 03 would this be covered by the warranty,>?

That is exactaly what I was feeing on the 03
I test drove last Sat..
Nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
chevytrukr
AF Newbie

Design Defect

Just discovered this forum. I'm looking for info about how close GM is to either issuing a recall or offering no-cost replacement for the defective Intermediate Shaft design that affects (I think) 2000 to 2003 Chevy trucks. It's pretty obvious from all the chatter that there are hundreds of thousands of instances of these shafts wearing out and causing the clunking noise, especially on turns. My dealer has been backordered since October 2004 on this part. He says because I didn't report it before my 36,000 mile warranty ran out, GM won't pay for the repair. Wondering if the Dept. of Transportation or other agency knows about the size of this problem.
chevytrukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
skipr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Design Defect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytrukr
Just discovered this forum. I'm looking for info about how close GM is to either issuing a recall or offering no-cost replacement for the defective Intermediate Shaft design that affects (I think) 2000 to 2003 Chevy trucks. It's pretty obvious from all the chatter that there are hundreds of thousands of instances of these shafts wearing out and causing the clunking noise, especially on turns. My dealer has been backordered since October 2004 on this part. He says because I didn't report it before my 36,000 mile warranty ran out, GM won't pay for the repair. Wondering if the Dept. of Transportation or other agency knows about the size of this problem.

Is the D.O.T the proper authority on issues like this? The only thing I have ever seen or heard of this agency doing , is giving me and other coworkers random drugtest all the time.I always wondered why the DOT would be interested in testing all employees (even the non-driver employee's)
skipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Starman1148
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Starman1148
Re: Design Defect

The dealer replaced my clunky steering shaft or rather replaced some parts of it which made the clunking noise stop. Mine is under warranty still ,now if the electrical crap with the turn signals and power seats and wipers would go away I might keep it (2003 Z71 Tahoe) have had it fixed like seven times since buying it ....
Starman1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:23 AM   #8
TXAGG05
AF Regular

I complained about mine rattling at least three times. I have the receipts from two of the times when they "fixed" the problem.

My question is: Do you think that Chevy will give me a new shaft since I had this reoccuring problem while under warranty?(even though my truck is now out of warranty)
The clunk returned quite a while ago and has gotten worse recently/
Thanks,
Jeb
2002 Argo Conquest w/ tracks
Also driving, but not at my house:
2001 Pierce Saber
1989 Pierce Dash
(See Pics in my gallery)
TXAGG05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Nave
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAGG05
I complained about mine rattling at least three times. I have the receipts from two of the times when they "fixed" the problem.

My question is: Do you think that Chevy will give me a new shaft since I had this reoccuring problem while under warranty?(even though my truck is now out of warranty)
The clunk returned quite a while ago and has gotten worse recently/
Thanks,
Jeb
SEEMS THEY HAVE ALREADY GIVEN YOU THE SHAFT..

huh good ?? I would think they would
Dose the problems with theses trucks Ever stop...
Nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
TXAGG05
AF Regular

YES!,....actually they did give it to me. I went to my local dealership this morning. At first they said no, but I called GM Customer Assistance, who called them for me and then they said yes. The service manager ordered me a new steering shaft and it wasn't near as painful as I had imagined.
-Jeb
2002 Argo Conquest w/ tracks
Also driving, but not at my house:
2001 Pierce Saber
1989 Pierce Dash
(See Pics in my gallery)
TXAGG05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
rabt
AF Regular

gm will fix this part free of charge untill 60,000 miles ... ask your dealer ... mine told me the other day
rabt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:01 AM   #12
sparrbq
AF Newbie

I'm waiting on back order about 2 months now. They are replacing them though.
sparrbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #13
airtight_python
AF Regular

Re: Re: Intermediate Shaft Steering Clunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabt
gm will fix this part free of charge untill 60,000 miles ... ask your dealer ... mine told me the other day
Is this quote still true?! I'd like to get mine taken care of before I hit that mark.
airtight_python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #14
rabt
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Intermediate Shaft Steering Clunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_rip84
Is this quote still true?! I'd like to get mine taken care of before I hit that mark.

i was told this by the service manager 2 months ago while i was having a radio programmed ..... i brought it up just to see if they were doing anything about it .........
Old 04-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #15
airtight_python
AF Regular

Appreciate the info... looks like I'll be visiting the local dealership on Friday.
airtight_python is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado