Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
d_rit
AF Newbie

Unhappy intermittent start problem '98 Caravan Sport

I'm going CRAZY!
I've seen some similar posts but nothing exactly like mine so here goes...

Sometimes my van won't start and run but then minutes to hours later it is fine. These are the things that happen:

1. Put key in, van starts and there is no trouble.
2. Put key in, turn key and have no power to fuel gauge, speedometer, tach, temperature gauge, gear indicator, odometer. All the indicators in the top panel: check engine, ABS, Alarm, etc. function properly; van will "start" but dies the instant I let go of the key.
3. Put key in, no gauges, same as #2, van starts and continues to run and all gauges come to life (this is the least frequent)
4. Driving along and lose power to the gauges. Van continues to run without problem - just don't have any idea how fast I'm going. Sometimes the gauges come back to life while I'm driving.

Usually if it won't run, as in #2, and I continue to try it again and again (maybe 5 to 6 times) eventually when I turn the key nothing happens - doesn't try to start, doesn't click, doesn't grind - NOTHING!
It doesn't seem to happen more or less when it rains; but it did occur less frequently during the winter. Now that it is warming up it is starting again.

I have had it at two "5 star" dealerships in my area and neither of them have a clue. (Makes me wonder if it is 5 stars out of 100) Of course they've told me that they have started at least 100 times perfectly and I pick it back up and boom - stranded. One of them even suggested that it might be static electricity and asked me if I wore cotton underwear (did I mention that I am a woman).

PLEASE HELP! I'm ready to drive it off the highest bridge I can find!

It's a 98 Caravan Sport 107,000 miles (problem started around 98,000).
d_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
DaYtOnAt2
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DaYtOnAt2
Does the steering column seem to have any play? Like rather than being solid and held in place when turning, it'll wobble or can be moved up and down or side to side? I'm asking because the connections can be losing contact to where the column has to be in just the right position to make the electrical connections inside. Also the ignitoin switch has been known to cause a plethora of stupid problems of it's own. Good luck
DaYtOnAt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #3
P Petruzzi
AF Newbie

I have had this same problem for the past year. We have tried everything you could think of without much success. My problem is number two and don't have your other problems. When this happened one time, out of frustration I slammed my fist on top of the dashboard and all the gages came back up, you nshould try this with the key on. You have to do this on both sides of the steering wheel at the same time. Do this as soon as the car doesn,t start the first time not after the car goes dead. If the gauges come up the car will start. I can hit hard enough that it works, my wife can't. If this works your printed circuit board of you instument cluster has a short. The car will run without the cluster, but if you have a factory alarm the starter cut off goes into effect or the car computer thinks that the car is in gear. You can purchase a new on from the dealer for about 400.00. I took mine out and had it repair. I don't know if this is the cure as I only did it about a week ago, I saw your post thought this might help.

Good luck and let us know how you make out, remember hit it hard.
Paul
P Petruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
d_rit
AF Newbie

Re: intermittent start problem '98 Caravan Sport

Well, I had my brother-in-law replace the ignition switch a couple of days ago and it has always started since then but the guages have gone dead twice on me while I was driving...
Old 04-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
d_rit
AF Newbie

Paul - Thanks for the ideas. I'll try beating the crap out of it next time! I went car shopping this weekend (not looking at Dodges though) looks like I'm probably just going to get rid of it. I have 3 children and I can't take the chance of getting stranded somewhere with the kids.

Last edited by d_rit; 04-16-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:34 AM   #6
d_rit
AF Newbie

Guess what?!?!? It worked!!!! I was "out and about" 2 days ago, had all three kids with me and when we tried to go home...van won't start. So I took my fists and pounded it one time as hard as I could and just like magic the guages came on and it started and ran! THANKS PAUL!! I might still be stuck there if you hadn't shared your knowledge!

The latest news is that I traded it in on a Honda. I really lost all confidence in the van and the service departments at the dealerships in my area.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #7
Creative
AF Newbie

Good job because your at Dodges magical number for the transmission to crap out on you ((( 100 K mark )))... and that will leave you stranded and about $2000 to $3000 in the hole...
Creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 05:46 AM   #8
Maddog32
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Give it a Whack!

Hello-

I have had the exact same problems of starting and immediately dying, the dead gauges and the whole thing. Spent a fortune at the Dodge dealer with no success. They couldn't figure out what was causing it, even when they couldn't get it started. They replaced the BCM, etc, etc. They said bring it back when it does it again and they will replace more parts, but they could not guarantee anything.

I tried whacking the dash and it worked for me. I turned the key to the "on" position before I did it, so I could see what was happening. After I whacked it, the gauges came immediately to life and the thing started and continued running.

Clearly, this does not fix the problem, but it kind of narrows it down a bit. A few days later I had to do it again, but I really did not hit it that hard and it worked again.

I am still totally disgusted with the whole situation, however.

-John
Maddog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:25 AM   #9
leeandterry
AF Newbie

Hey you're right, it worked! I've had problem #2 on our '97 Grand Caravan Sport off and on for the past year. When it wouldn't continue to run and the gauges stayed flat, the problem seemed to magically go away if it sat for a couple hours. It would happen once every 2 or 3 months. Recently, it started to occur more often and didn't rebound as quickly. Mileage is just over 100K. We had it to the dealer for the problem several months ago, but they couldn't find a problem or get it to repeat the flat gauge/quit-running syndrome. Yesterday afternoon, it happened again. After reading these threads I figured I'd give the dashboard pounding routine a shot. Not a real hi-tech procedure, but it worked. Just have to make sure you hit the dash hard enough. Although it sounds like no one has had any success with the dealers yet, we're going to give it one more try armed with this new "information".

Lee
leeandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:20 AM   #10
pentabob
AF Newbie

Another with same problem

Hi everyone,
98 Grand Caravan Sport 121K+ having exactly the same problem, same dealership answers "DUH!!!", starting to think this is a VERY common problem for them that they dont want to admit, I'm at the point of driving around with a scan tool hooked up, will try the fist fix next time it occurs (will actually be a bit enjoyable, I'm sure everyone understands) thank you very very much for the information, and I will let you know the results,
thanks again
Bob
pentabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:02 AM   #11
pentabob
AF Newbie

It Works !!!!!!!!!

Everyone, It works, it works, it works!!!!
I'm on vacation right now so i decided to just tinker a touch, went out to van, everything working fine, turned key off, smacked dash, turned key back on, all was dead, with key still in on position re-smacked dash and everything came back to life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fantstic!!!!, i know it's not the final fix but it sure does get us in the right area,
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!
Bob White
Old 07-14-2004, 10:28 PM   #12
P Petruzzi
AF Newbie

Well everyone I am glad to hear that my little dash bashing is getting everyone going again. I took my cluster out of the car in April and had it repaired. There were two problems first two bad diodes and the second was a conection at the plug. It has been almost four months and have not had a problem since. removing the cluster is fairly easy I think for most it will be harder to find someone to test and repair. I repaired it instead of replacement because it didn't want to change another unneeded part and not know if there was something wrong with it. The test and repair cost 150.00 I was told the dealer could change it at around 600.00 with labor. If my car had alot of miles I would have sold the car by at 6 years old I only had 50000 miles , I thought it was worth a try and repair it. Good luck to all.
P Petruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:43 PM   #13
pentabob
AF Newbie

Thanks Again Paul

Thanks a ton for sharing the info, you saved a lot of people a ton of cash!!!!! and thanks for getting back to all of us with the good news.
I still have the e mail into Chrysler and I'm waiting for a response (Can't Wait!!!) I will keep you posted.
Once again thank you very much, these forums are great!
Bob White
Old 01-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #14
dono0034
AF Newbie

Thanks for the help! 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan, 96,000 miles, Intermittent Starting, my gages and cruise fail on occasion while driving. ABS and Check engine light come on when this happens. I've managed to revive it a couple of times by banging on the dash, but haven't looked into a permanent solution yet. Has anybody had any luck finding a permanent fix that has taken care of this beyond banging on the dash?
dono0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #15
diamondroad
AF Newbie

Hi All,
We have a 99 T&C and had similar ordeals to the ones mentioned above. A variety of repairs attempted with dealers. Long story, short, the instrument cluster circuit board was eventually replaced and the car has been fine with zero symptoms going on six months now. This seems to be the root cause of most if not all of these situations.
diamondroad is offline   Reply With Quote