Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
mitch311
AF Newbie

Would like to put in 87 octane, but car seems to ping. Any suggestions?

For some reason the car pings when I put 87 octane. I decided to move to 89 octane and it got a little better, but still annoying. So I went to 91 octane. It was smoother, and lot better than 89. But I hate paying that price. I went to the dealers and found out that they can download a software to your ECU, which removes the pinging with lower octane gas. Had that done, and the pinging stops, but only on 89 octane or higher. Plus the car feels a little weaker on the throttle. My guess is that the software pull back the timing a bit....I don't know...

I would like to pour in 87 like the manual suggested, but I want to avoid the pings.

Any suggestions? Anybody going through the same exprience?
mitch311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

yup same here in my 2000 amigo.

On again off again. Chevron techron concentrate (9 bucks at Target) gas additive every 3k seems to help to keep my ping away with 89 octane. Also, make sure your PCV is clean and your EGR valve, tube and port. My dealer was never able to find a newer program. I filed a consumer complaint at:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/

The funny thing it is listed on their site now to (click on consumer complaint, select isuzu, amigo, 2000, engine gas. and sure enough my info is in their. After I did this they called me and talked a bit and then Corp Isuzu mailed me a couple of photo copies of the manual that states the knocking is normal underload and said have a nice day.

I'm not to freaked out about it. For the most part it has stayed away as long as I put in 89, techron every 3k and clean the EGV parts and PCV once a year. My previous truck had an engine ping for about 100k I sold it at 185k and two years later I still see it cruzen around.

Also, I read a recent post, I think here, that state some isuzu's have champion plugs which seem to have add to the pinging problems. Might be worth your time to swap plugs to (NGK). I have not looked at mine yet (45K), but plan to yank them this fall.

good luck!
-Ryan
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

OMG, knocking is NEVER normal!! What knocking is is pre-detination. What happens is the air/fuel mixture is ignited too soon and combustion takes place while the cylinder is still moving up in the bore. VERY bad for pistons and valves.

In the case of high compression engines, the air/fuel mixture is ignited by compression instead of the spark. Higher octane fuels resist this.

In the case of other engines, its caused by advanced timing. The spark is delivered to the cylinder too early.

Well, carbon build-up that gets hot can also cause knocking.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:23 AM   #4
nonmotorhead
AF Newbie

Pinging Rodeo

My wife's 99 rodeo has just recently started to ping at 2300-2700 rpm no matter the pressure on the accelerator. I had her put high octane fuel in, but I don't hear any difference, so I'm eliminating carbon buildup/compression issues. Anyone familiar with the "knock sensor"? From what I've researched, the sensor detects ping and the computer adjust timing accordingly. In reading a few forums I've seen reference to a knock sensor or wire going to the sensor being bad, but I haven't seen anything related to a Rodeo. I'm looking for info on location of the sensor or diagnostic code related to it if there is one. I know pinging is bad for an engine and don't want to run it very long while it's in this condition. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
nonmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #5
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: Would like to put in 87 octane, but car seems to ping. Any suggestions?

Read my FAQ, it could be from carbon buildup, plugged EGR and PCV

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:42 PM   #6
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Running ethanol blended 87 octane will take away the very light ping my 2002 sometimes gets on hard acceleration / high loads. Some of my local gas stations use 10% ethanol (sunoco is the main one). My 2002 3.2L loves the stuff. You do get slightly less MPG's with ethanol blends though. I hate to plug products, but some stuff I've been using (for last 6 months) that takes away the ping 100% of the time is here- "Fuel Power". I use the "lube control" as well: http://www.lubecontrol.com/
G/luck
Joel
Old 04-04-2004, 02:38 PM   #7
xxcrowleyxx
AF Newbie

well i just got a rodeo 1995 6 cyc, & i have a few cars with one or 2 that had the knocking in them. i found that if u change the oil & add lucas oil treatment (white bottle) approx $9 that knock will go away & will improve the gas milage, & add in the lucas gas treatment like $4 .. let me tell you Lucas is great!!
xxcrowleyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw

if its 2000 or newer it may have chapion plugs if so remove them and use only nippendenso its what works best with the Ion sense module

and if your local dealer tells you there is no software update available then you may want to visit another dealer there is an update for 98-01 for spark knock and pinging on acceleration it will help but not completly go away and may take up to 1000 miles before it helps
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU