Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
simdel1
AF Enthusiast

Rebuild - Countach LP500S

Many, many years ago, my parents bought me a Tamiya LP500s as a present. I didn't have the skills to paint it correctly, so I just assembled it. I assumed that later on, I'd have the ability and the equipment to paint it. So, after nearly 15 years of being stored and getting battered in a box I've decided to take on the task of rebuilding this beautiful model. This is only supposed to be a quick build, so i'm not massively bothered about injection marks in relatively hidden areas or absolute accuracy. Apologies for the poor quality photos. I took most of them in very poor light so the camera struggled a bit.

This is how I found the model. The assembly is very poor (how much glue did I use!?) but luckilly there's not much paint to remove. The rear wing is damaged, most of the decals have fallen off and one wing mirror is missing, but otherwise it seems pretty much complete.

Here are the parts layed out after disassembly

The first thing to fix was the chassis. Over time it seems to have sagged in the middle. Copious amounts of heat from a hair dryer and some brave 'tweeks' fixed this.

The lone surviving decal was on the boot. Sticky tape was applied over it. When the tape was removed, the decal came with it. The decal has been attached to a sheet of acetate ready for when it needs to be reapplied.There's probably better ways to do this, but this was the best i could come up with at the time.

And so the painting begins. I have airbrushed all interior surfaces with a mix of revell brown and white. I will paint a darker shade of this colour into the creases on the seat to give it some depth. You may also have noticed the moulded carpet. This was made with velour which was glued in place with PVA(white glue).

I don't have any other pictures, but i have glued the rear wing back together, started to remove flash from the body and i've started to paint the dash.

---------------------------------------------------------------

simdel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
endac
AF Enthusiast

Re: Rebuild - Countach LP500S

Nice looking restoration. Look forward to seeing how it turns out
endac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
countach79
AF Enthusiast

nice start on the resto!

i'm just starting a mini resto on an 1/12 countach

the owner before me used tube super glue!!

good luck with yours!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
simdel1
AF Enthusiast

A little bit of progress on this...

Started to paint the underneath. I'm not particularly worried about this as long as it's neat.

The interior is coming along nicely. I'm disapointed that the 'real' carpet is pretty much hidden though!

The rear wing has been fixed with polycement and lots of sanding.

The first layer of primer revealed two things. 1, I'd run out of primer and 2, the bumper panel gap is full of glue. I had hoped to remove the bumper before painting, but that wasn't possible, so I'll just have to re-cut the panel line with a craft knife.

The primer is now cut-back ready for the next layer from a brand new can of primer.

Next steps will be finishing off the interior, applying a perfect primer coat and figuring out how I'm going to deal with the scratches on the glass!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
gpz900ra7
AF Regular

Its great reliving a bit of ones youth when you rebuild a kit from a long time ago, and you are getting it spot on.

One method you can try with the scratche dglass is by using a product called "MicroMesh", that was designed for repairing aircraft canopies so a model cars windows should be no problem with this stuff.

Its a shame about that great hulking gear wheel underneath, it might be less intrusive if you painted it black, just my opinion there you understand.

gpz900ra7.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Hartford
AF Newbie

Your doing a really good job on this rebuild. I look forward to seeing when its finished.

With regard to the scratches not only can you use micromesh but i believe polishing compound may work as well. I have used the micromesh method so i know this works but have yet to try polishing compounds.

Regards

Hartford
Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Martini Man
AF Regular

"figuring out how I'm going to deal with the scratches on the glass!"

just replace all that thick kit clear plastic with sheet acetate : )
Martini Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
bmwh548
AF Newbie

Polishing compounds work great on "plastic glass" (personally I used Tamiya with great success).
bmwh548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
simdel1
AF Enthusiast

Sloooow progress on this.

Thanks for the advice and comments, guys. I'll try some polishing compound on the glass and see how it comes out. I've just had a practice sanding and polishing a considerably damaged glass section from a Tamiya XJ220 model. I thought it was beyond repair so I didn't mind trying a few things out on it. It came out quite well in my opinion.

I've sorted the primer layer on the Countach and layed down the first coat of Tamia red (X7 IIRC). I've airbrushed the colour, but still ended up getting some texture. I'll add another layer or two before cutting it back and clear coating.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
eugene78
AF Regular

Nice interior. I think this is the best carpet I have ever seen - it looks real, much better than flocking.
eugene78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
simdel1
AF Enthusiast

Thanks Eugene!

Made a bit more progress yesterday. Well, I say progress, I think I've actually gone backwards!

The texture I had on the paint wasn't the result of bad airbrushing, but it seems to be the primer that was a bit rough. When the can of primer was running out it applied a horrible texture to the car which I thought I'd been able to cut back. Clearly not! I've now effectively used the first colour coat as a levelling coat. I've cut it back to the primer in places. Looks like I'll be needing some more paint...

Last edited by simdel1; 09-02-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Skoobs
AF Newbie

Wow - what a trip, I remember struggling with this kit as a kid in the late 70's. Very cool.
Skoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
simdel1
AF Enthusiast

Small update. After getting annoyed about having to cut back the colour coat again I left this kit for a while. Recently I've been inspired so I attacked it with some 800 grit sand paper and repainted. I'm happy with the quality of base coat, so I'll be sorting out the other bits of body trim and clear coating. the finish is in sight!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
countach79
AF Enthusiast

good to see your going to finish!

looks good in red

cant wait to see her done

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street