Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > Completed Projects / Gallery
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Completed Projects / Gallery Post all completed works in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Helico
AF Regular

1/43 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Competizione

Here is a 1/43 resin kit from Provence Moulage. This is the second 1/43 kit I have ever bought. Old and oversimplified are the only two words to describe it. I got this kit off eBay for what I thought was a discounted price because it was missing the factory decal. I spent some time looking for an aftermarket decal without any luck (if you know a source, please do not tell me. You will devastate my heart). I eventually gave up searching and decided to put together this seemingly simple kit. I didn’t realize what I got myself into until I started building the kit. After all, how hard could it be to put ~20 parts together?

Let the overhaul begins. The cockpit was made of two pieces of resin which sat on top of a white-metal chassis. The dash board was not entirely correct. Some priming and sanding didn’t help to improve the look. A sudden urge kicked in. I must... I must… I must scratch build.

I separated the seats and glued the rest of cockpit onto the chassis. The dashboard was reconstructed with styrene, along with several other things: a steering wheel, a center console, a much-needed roll cage and a fire extinguisher.

The result of all the scratch builds was a better looking cockpit. Door panels were also made.

The next step was to tackle the seats. I used a PE seatbelt buckle set from Verlindem. The quality and selection of buckles are definitely worth $3. Each set is good for only one seat though. My only complaint was that the PE was made of brass and needed to be painted silver/black. I tried chemical blackening the PE parts with a mix of results and ended up painting them black.

The next things to make were a shifter and a fire extinguisher. For the shift knob, I was thinking about sanding a ball point pin down to a smaller size. But I took a different approach by "growing" the knob up. I dip the tip of a 32 gauge wire into Tamiya black acrylic paint, let it dry and repeated the process for about 15 times. The shift knob gradually became larger and increasingly spherical after each dipping and drying. I think this method will probably work with acrylic paint as the solvents in lacquer and enamel may dissolve the previous layer.

The fire extinguisher was made from styrene, aluminum foil and some metal pieces. The labelings were gibberish written with a needle.

Here is a updated look of the cockpit with seats and a few other parts in place.

The dashboard was made ready with a new steering wheel, some tuned metal switches and a battery cutoff.

Everything was in place.

I shifted attention to the body. The quality and cast of resin were alright, thus not particularly impressive. I removed the fuel caps and drilled some holes here and there. Not much change was done. Since I had no decal, the painting scheme was pretty much up to whatever I desired. The body was primed and the blue-white racing stripe was painted before clearcoat. Here are the pictures of the polished body waiting to be decorated.

The next step was to fix the front and rear lights. There was no way I would use the kit parts. Yuck. They remind me of some sorts of candy. So, individual headlights were made from clear styrene while the rear lights were modified from kit parts. To recreate the texture on the light cover, I first coated the top surface with 2-3 heavy layers of Future and then cut into the semi-dry paint with a knife. Of course in the real thing, the texture should be on the inside, not on the surface.

Here are the new parts to be installed for the front and rear lights, along with a few other things. The bonnet straps were made of real leather and leftover buckles from the PE seatbelt set. The fuel caps were also made from scratch.

Here are the pictures of the completed car. There were some parts that I wished could fit better. Still, the car looks better than I would hope for from the beginning. The whole building process had been a good learning experience for me.

Again, I used IKEA picture frame to display the car (it was on sale during xmas and I couldn't resist buying a few). I couldn't find a suitable background and therefore decided to paint something myself. The background was supposed to represent a brick road in case you haven't noticed . Thank you for watching. As always, comments are welcome (except telling me where to score a decal ).

Last edited by Helico; 01-15-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Helico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Martini Man
AF Regular

Re: 1/43 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Competizione

looks great.
like the new headlights
I have a kit with those candy headlights.
Will have to try this.

Paul
Martini Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Porsnatic
AF Enthusiast

Beautifullll...Excellent performance on this classic...Welcome to the club!
Porsnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Drift F.C
AF Enthusiast

You made the modifications look so easy, great build!

2010 QMHE Intermediate Silver - Mini Cooper S
2010 QMHE Intermediate Bronze - 37' Delivery
2011 QMHE Intermediate Silver - Panzer Tank
2011 QMHE Imtermediate Bronze - McLaren M8B
Drift F.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

You could've fooled me if you didn't say it was 1/43. It looks like a 1/24 with all the detail. Really nice progress.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #6
fanalone
AF Regular

Great job and very good fothografies.
fanalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
endac
AF Enthusiast

Beautiful looking car, great work
endac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
RemydeB
AF Newbie

Great looking model, very clean execution on quite a small scale. Great work!

Finished:
Nissan GT-R R35
RemydeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

i don't often rate threads but i gave this a "5" in a blink.

great work in any scale but in 1/43 - awesome

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Very nice build and base. That Provence body is dated, but the shape is pretty good. I hope you bring this up to Ferrari Expo 2011 in March. We should have the real 250 TDF Lemans GT class winner 1959 on display along with a few Daytona's/Ferrari's and lots of models.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago March 19th 2011

Last edited by F1Tommy; 01-17-2011 at 02:54 PM.
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Be proud of yourself! That is great work! Very clean and your modifications really make it stand out. These old kits are basic and a challenge. Anyone can make a Tameo WCT look nice :-)
I'll keep my mouth shut about decals as you wished....just one thing: It shows another benefit of doing a WIP. If you run into troubles like not finding decals you can always ask for help. Very often there's someone with a timely solution for your problem or question ...
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
alex156
AF Regular

First rate job, it goes to show what can be achieved with some imagination and good modelling skills. Love the "frame" display.
alex156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Mech@niC
AF Regular

I wish I had these skills..........

What a beauty!
Mech@niC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
914joe
AF Regular

Nice work!!! Cool display
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Helico
AF Regular

Thank you all for the compliments, especially coming from jaykay640. It means a lot to me. It was his inspiring work on BBR 911 GT1 that got me into building 1/43 (and hence uncontrollable buying spree). In fact that BBR 911 GT1 is the very first 1/43 kit I own. I would love to start a WIP someday but I often work on multiple kits at the same time. Some of them are still getting nowhere after years.

Ferrari Expo is definitely on my schedule. But life as a graduate student can sometimes be quite busy. Experiments always come first. My advisor will whip my butt if he finds out I'm attending a "nonscientific conference". Hahaha.

Last edited by Helico; 01-17-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Helico is offline   Reply With Quote