Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
NYHighlander
AF Newbie

Question '00 SL2 Power locks don't unlock when key is removed from ignition

I have a 2000 SL2 with power locks. Normally when the key is removed from the ignition, the locks unlock. This no longer happens. I have to use the interior switch. The power locks work otherwise without any problems. They lock when I put the car in drive too. They work with the interior switches as well as the keyless entry so I am perplexed. Is there a fuse or a module that needs to be replaced or is it something with the ignition switch. Any input or ideas would be helpful. Anyone with a similiar problem. Trying to avoid a trip to the dealer. Thanks in advance.
NYHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:07 PM   #2
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Re: '00 SL2 Power locks don't unlock when key is removed from ignition

i will need to double check a wiring diagram. does it still chime when you forget to turn off the lights or open the door with the key in the ignition?
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
NYHighlander
AF Newbie

Thank you for replying. Yes, the chime does still work, both with the headlights and opening the door with the key in.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:09 AM   #4
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

i get the diagram tomarrow or tuesday, but in the mean time, double check the owners manual. in the last few years, more and more things are becoming programible. i don't know if this could be one of those things, but its worth a shot.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
NYHighlander
AF Newbie

Smile Fixed it!

After speaking with a tech at the dealer who would actually listen to my problem without making bring in the car for service, I have fixed the problem. He knew what the problem was right of the bat. It was a programming issue. I will list the procedure I used so that maybe it will help someone else with a similiar problem. Turn the ignition key to the run position, then hold the power lock switch in the unlock position for five seconds until the horn beeps to confirm reprogramming. This fixed the problem immediately. It was a very simple procedure that saved a service at the dealer which is good for me since I have an extended warranty that if I don't use it I get my money back at the end so they are always trying to get me to use it. So for minro issues I try to fix it myself. I hope this procedure information helps others with a similiar problem. Thanks to sierap615 for all your help. Your advice on the programming issue pointed me in the right direction. Learn something new every day! I love this car and it hope it lasts for a long time. Thanks Again!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

good to hear highlander, i couldn't make heads or tails of that wiring diagram anyway.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW