Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Probe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:22 PM   #1
DertyHarry
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DertyHarry
What do you guys think?

ive been looking around for a probe, im looking for a 93 or 95 gt...
so im looking around at some used cars and there is a 95 probe gt that i see....it is a 5 speed, all the options that probes have...
so im looking at it and it has 85k miles which isn't that bad for a 95' and then i look at the price...$1,200, im like wtf?
i am e-mailing the dealership who is selling it about if it needs any major repairs...ect.
do you think it is bullshit, and if the guy says there is nothing wrong im going to go over there and look at it anyways with a mechanic
so i want to know what you guys think about it
DertyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:25 PM   #2
Jetts
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Jetts
sounds too good to be true

11/07/87 - 11/11/04
*** KEITH VALLEE***
R.I.P
Keith. higher then any mother fucker out there..... R.I.P homie..
Jetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:43 PM   #3
ThePRobed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ThePRobed
Probes have LOTS of problems. ALL of the parts are extremely expensive. My 96 had its transmission replaced 2 years ago (before I had it) and that cost almost $3,000. BTW mine only has 50,100 miles. So my guess is that this probe you are looking at probably needs a new transmission (since thats the biggest problem w/probe) and the dealer wants to sell it as is instead of paying for the expensive parts. The dealer may also just want to do a quick turn around on a trade in so you might still be in luck. Either way be careful not to get screwed.
ThePRobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:46 PM   #4
ThePRobed
AF Regular

Oh and i almost forgot... The window motors on probes usualy die around 40k miles, so whether the ones on the probe you are looking at have been replaced or not they probably dont have much life left. New factory window motors are about $200 a pop. So left right and sunroof thats $600 right there.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:49 PM   #5
Jetts
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Jetts
that is what you get for having a ford, my ford truck is only 2 years old and the air conditioning is broken

11/07/87 - 11/11/04
*** KEITH VALLEE***
R.I.P
Keith. higher then any mother fucker out there..... R.I.P homie..
Jetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:50 PM   #6
DertyHarry
AF Newbie

thanx for the help man....the dealership hasn't e-mailed me back yet, but if they don't tonight i am going to call, my cousin works at a honda dealership and he knows a lot of the mechanics and if there is a problem im gonna ask them if they can repair it for me for cheap, cuz they have helped out some of his other friends before im just not sure what kind of cars they were...ne ways here is the ad

1995 FORD PROBE GT, 85K miles, 5spd, pw, pdl, full pwr, am/fm stereo cass, fully loaded, looks & runs great, must see, $1200

EDIT::: i was talking to one of my friend's older brother's and he said that one year of the probe had a seat belt problem, does anyone have a clue about this?

Last edited by DertyHarry; 07-16-2003 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:57 PM   #7
ThePRobed
AF Regular

/Jetts: that is what you get for having a ford, my ford truck is only 2 years old and the air conditioning is broken/

The "Ford Probe" isnt really a Ford. Its the same thng as a mazda mx6 just with a different body. Asides from the trans its a really reliable car.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
buymeabmwm3
AF Enthusiast

I had an 89 5-speed that went to 150K with nothing but a new clutch and a few other minor things. Was pretty pleased with its reliability. Only thing was, unlike some old cars, when this one started have major probs and decided to quit. It really decided to quit and wouldn't run right no matter what I tried.

2005 Ducati Monster 620 i.e.

2005 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab, TRD Off-Road - FINALLY HERE!

Horsepower is 100 ewoks poking you with pointy sticks.
Torque is one wookie pulling your arms out of their sockets.
buymeabmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:06 PM   #9
DertyHarry
AF Newbie

well im going to look at it tommorow so i will tell you guys what it is like and if there is anything wrong with it....if there is nothing wrong i am probably going to get it to so i am happy
Old 08-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #10
DertyHarry
AF Newbie

well by the time i ended up calling it was sold....oh well
i went and looked at one tho, it is a 95 gt, it has 125k miles on it, the guy wants $1,800 for it, but here is the problem, it needs new CV joints and those can get pretty damn expensive to replace, it needs a new exaust to but im not really worried about that because that is pretty easy to get a new one...it doesn't have power doors or windows, but has power mirros and a power driver seat, besides that it is in real good shape, i was thinking of offering $1,200 cash because it has new tires on it, but btw he said he figured out the price by taking blue book - $1,600 for repairs, and it looked it up and it said the blue book was $2,500 so i -$1,600 and it is 900
but since it has new tires so i added an extra $300
but i think since im only going to be doing trips around town with drives no more than 1/2 an hour it should run fine now w/o cv joints and then i would save up till i have enough to get those replaced

Last edited by DertyHarry; 08-11-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:13 AM   #11
DCC
AF Newbie

CV joints aren't expensive, unless you have a shop do it. You need to replace the entire axle. They are about $120 each at autozone.

they are easy to replace once you get the hub bolt off(real pain). And the little circlip on the end of them is also a royal pain to do.

BTW the 5sp tranny was never a problem in the Probe. The ATX was.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:32 PM   #12
IronProbeGT
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to IronProbeGT
I have 225K on mine..... No trans problems..... I guess most people just don't konw how to drive? There is a major difference between driving hard and beating a car, a lot of folks don't know what that difference is.

The Probe is not a bad car, but if you abuse it, finiky problems can arise. I would suggest a compression test, as well as have someone follow you to look for smoke.

A lot of dealers will sell probes cheap because of a tick from under the hood. One good engine flush, and that HLA tick is gone. It is a common issue that is easily and cheaply solved.

-Ironman
IronProbeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 04:13 PM   #13
rboske
AF Newbie

I have 103k on my 95 probe gt, and it has never given me any major problems, especially the transmission. I don't drive it too hard, unless I am up against some highschool kid with a 6 cyl mustang, who thinks he's hot, and then I just can't resist. They apparently don't realize that the V8 didn't come in that model.
The car handles great, and I have nothing but praise for it.
But $1200/$1800 for a 95 with those kind of miles seems really cheap.

Anyhow, I just bought a house, and I have 2 other cars, so I am going to sell the probe, if anyone is interested. It's the only one that is paid for, so i could use the cash to pay off another, and maybe be able to afford cable tv....
I hate to see it go, but I can always buy another one someday, when I actually have the time and money to really modify it.
rboske is offline   Reply With Quote