Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Jordan 191

Hi everybody!

This is the start for another WIP. There’s still some left to finish but after a Tameo McLaren MP 4/15 I built recently Iwas somewhat fed up with 1:43 and white metal in particular so I decided to again have a go at some plastic for a change.
As the title says it this one’s about the Jordan 191, and who would have guessed….it’s gonna be the Spa-Version :-)

I don’t have to tell you anything about the kit contents or parts fit I think. To turn it into Schumacher’s first F1-ride there’s more to do than just add the correct decals though.
Most notably the front wing flaps have to be smaller, the rear wing gets some gurneyflaps and other bits, in the rear wing support there’s an extra cooler ( for gearbox oil I think ), the rear brakes get additional “periscope” style air ducts and there’s an extra round liquid tank ( for whatever…) at the front of the left cylinder bank.

For reference i’m of course using the Perfect File, plus the F1Modeling Schumacher Special and some additional pictures i found online and one important one for the front damper from Gurneyflap :-)
My plan is to do all these modifications and add a pile of details and corrections along the way. We’ll see how long it takes until I rather get back to 1:43rd :-)

For a change I started not by cutting up the kit pieces into even smaller bits but by actually putting some together with a bit of "racer’s tape" ( something that’s impossible with a Tameo…)

On my ongoing projects i learned the hard way that it can be quite tricky to assemble the suspension and set the model up right, once the “Tamiya-path” has been left and the suspension bits cut up. So I decided for this project to build a jig.

It’s made from MDF and metal pins and will hopefully help me during assembly to get the uprights to sit where they belong :-)

The actual build process started with the cockpit. I glued the monocoque halves and test fit the cockpit tub and seat.

The seat ( already stripped of the moulded in belts ) turned out to be seriously asymmetric

There needs to be some space for the gear shift linkage on the right side but Tamiya was really overly generous with it :-) On top of that the rather thick cockpit side walls were too low, so I replaced them with new ones made from 0.3mm styrene sheet

The seat was then also modified according to the reference pictures.

Now it fits the cockpit nicely:

I also started work on the monocoque. I cut off the roll bar ( this will return as an extra piece ), opened the holes for front damper and the fuel filler at the rear and closed some of the smaller holes for locator pins that I won’t need. I also reshaped the area around the head rest a bit with putty. All surfaces were sanded to get them straight, especially around the edges.

In the next picture the modified cockpit sits in the monocoque. I had to thin the sidewalls below the cockpit edges to make room for the higher cockpit walls and I added an indentation for the gear shifter ( or rather the driver’s shifting hand ).

That’s it for the start. There’s more to follow soon. I have to say that modifying and scratch building parts like this is what I like most about modeling. Much more than finishing paintjobs and such…. Let’s see how long that lasts :-)
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Re: Jordan 191

Wonderful start!
I like all the changes you are making. I'll follow your work closely as my main modeling project is building all the F1 cars M. Schumacher raced with.
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
JimboCO
AF Regular

Great stuff! I'm working on this one too so I'll be following your build closely.
JimboCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Your subjects, eye for detail and building skills are seriously badass!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

Excellent!!! This is the type of modeling I love too. The jig is a great idea.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
billypee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to billypee

Great start on this JayKay. I'm sure this will turn into the definitive Jordan 191 WIP. Can't wait to see the progress.

Completed WIPs:

Completed Models Gallery:
billypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Hey guys, here’s some more progress already.

The undertray was cleaned up. I filled the pin marks and sanded all surfaces. In the process the diffuser was thinned and I “sharpened” the edges at the rear left and right of the diffuser.

Then I scratchbuilt new sidepod structures from 0.3mm styrene as the Tamiya ones were inevitably thick and the moulded in electronic boxes couldn’t stay anyway.

Here you see them placed on the monocoque sides.

Also visible are the lower bodywork elements. I sanded them on the outside and then thinned them to about 0,7mm material thickness from the inside where it’s visible.

Next I went for the nose area again. The kit comes with a separate lid for the front damper but nothing underneath. Scratchbuilding something there is tricky because pictures of the area are as rare as henn’s teeth. From what I have got, I figured out a layout and milled a block of renshape accordingly.

In the next picture you can see it after some more work. In front is the lid that I sanded thin from the inside to about 0,5mm. To match the upper surface of the milled part perfectly to the lid I put some tape on it’s underside, put some polyester putty on the renshape piece and then carefully pressed the lid on the wet putty. After a bit of curing I removed the lid ( no problem because of the tape ) and then cut and sanded off the excess putty.

It will need more work but as you can see it fits quite nicely already.

That’s it for now. The next update will take some longer as I’m heading towards the trickier bits. Also I’m jumping around between pieces and I will wait for areas to sufficiently progress so this WIP doesn’t get too confusing :-)
Thanks for following!
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
gasdriverca
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to gasdriverca

Very interesting but I like it.
gasdriverca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
TRBJ
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to TRBJ Send a message via Skype™ to TRBJ

WTF!!! im definitely gonna follow your build!! very clean!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay640 View Post
I will wait for areas to sufficiently progress so this WIP doesn’t get too confusing :-)
I'm OK with confusion - bring it on!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Great, an interesting theme and model, always nice to follow your WIPs
Old 06-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #12
Tim25
AF Newbie

Excellent work on one of the most beautiful F1 cars ever. Looking forward to your next update!

TIM

My hardhat has racing stripes.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cameo...s/365886440252
Tim25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100 View Post
I'm OK with confusion - bring it on!
We are used to confusion, it can't get any worse...

lovely work so far, as I said in one of the other threads !

Last edited by Decs0105; 06-03-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
jochen kieslich
'wannabe race driver'

YES indeed, we are very used to ......thanx god!
This is a kind of modeling i like a lot!!
The search and demand for the ultimate scale reproduction.
Keep it up, very promising!

Yours
Jochen

-emotional miniatures-
jochen kieslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #15
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Very nice work. You really are working the Tamiya kit over!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo-Strictly 43rd Revival April 2010-Chicago
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports