Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
63ImpalaFan
AF Newbie

96 Achieva "Won't Start!" Help

Hello I'm new to the form.

I just bought this 96 Achieva with 63k on it. It was my wifes buddy's car.
It quite starting about 6 months ago she took it to the dealer.
They put a new ignition switch in it. It ran fine for about four mounths, them it would'nt start one day.She needed money my wife loves the car so to make a long story short I nown a clean Achieva SC 3100 that wont start. LOL

I can turn the ignition on all the lights come on, the fuel pump cycles, all the bells ring,etc.
You turn the switch to start it, the day time running lights go out, I can here a relay click but no starter engagement.
I jumped the starter and it engages and turns the motor over but it wont start and the security light starts flashing.

Any Ideas??

I thought about the park/nutral switch, does anyone now what the check procedure is for it? Its a 3 wire plug.

Any help would be nice,
Thanks Chad
63ImpalaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
DWM
AF Newbie

Security System

Any one found answer? I have the same problem. When "Security" light is on it locks out the fuel delivery system so the car doesn't keep running. Last year they said the dash was shorting and replaced it with a used one. That worked for one years now it is doing the same thing. Dealers don't seem to know how to fix or bypass the security system. Anyone have info or help?

Don
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
julianjenius
AF Newbie

Security light solution

I just spent $850 fixing this problem in my daughter's '96 Achieva, so I hope this helps; even if it doesn't in your case, pass it on. The problem is in the car's computer, which, for some reason, will trip the Security system and shut off the gas flow. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the VERY FIRST click, and then let it sit without trying to start it for at least 15 minutes, or until your Security light stops flashing. This resets the car's computer and lets it know no one is trying to break in. When the light stops flashing you can then start the car. Once it's started, drive it to the nearest car dealer and trade it in for a Toyota. At least, that's what we're planning to do. Also, you could try Bypasskit.com if that doesn't work. They specialize in getting around security systems. Good luck.
julianjenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
Overtime
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Overtime
Re: 96 Achieva "Won't Start!" Help

I know it's been a while since you asked, but I had this issue with my 97. The key lock has a resistor in it which tells the computer when a valid key is in the ignition. This switch sometimes goes bad (about $200 from your local GM dealer) or your computer goes south taking the switch with it (I replaced mine with one from AutoZone for $100). The fact that the car has been sitting for a considerable amount of time, the battery is depleted (check the water level). Make sure you have a fully charged battery and turn the ignition on. crank for a second or two and stop. Wait for the flashing security light to go out. You can now crank the car. If the light stops and stays steady, then the key switch is toast. Hope this helps.
Overtime is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva