Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
fordforlife
AF Enthusiast

non power to power seats

I recently purchased a set of racing seats, and the stock seat I have in my car now is power (the driver seat). I was wondering if any1 knows how to make the racing seats (which are not powered) power seats. The racing seats came with thier own bracket, which has a bar you pull to make then slide forward and backward. Can I make them fit my stock brackets, or somehow make the racing brackets powered. Thx for your time!!!!!!
fordforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
lxndr
AF -Advisor

Re: non power to power seats

That's not the point of having racing seats.
lxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
fordforlife
AF Enthusiast

i understand, but i wasnt asking if it was "right" or not, just if any1 knows how it can be done, or know of a website. I dont mean this in an offensive way or anything....just getting my point across. Also does any1 know if it will weaken the seats in anyway.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
dice daniels
AF Enthusiast

Anything is possable. You may have to go to a welding shop and have adapter plates cut out of 1/4"x2" steele flat stock in order to do it. Might cost you 20-30 bucks to have them cut and the holes punched. It shouldnt weaken the seats any if you use the same bolt patern on the botom of the seat. Take some measurements and bring the seats and power brackets with you so the guys at the welding shop can get it right. but it realy does defeat the purpose of having racing seats.
dice daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
fordforlife
AF Enthusiast

I was just wondering, why does that defeat the purpose. The seat I'm buying has a bar that manually moves the seat forward and backward.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #6
dice daniels
AF Enthusiast

Racing seats are designed to protect you in a number of different ways durring an accedent. the angle they are set at directs you almost downward in an event of a head on collision. They are also built rigid and solid so that they have very little movement. The reason for the forward reverse adjustment is obviously for adjusting to the hight of the driver. And you'll also notice that the seat keeps you a good distance from the stering wheel. Thats insurance on your dental plan. And they are also built for a 5 piont harness.

Ofcourse it would be a funny prank to lock your pasenger in with the 5 piont and then adjust the hight all the way up and then slowly move it forward.
dice daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
JLU
AF Newbie

First it depends on the type car and seats you have, I have to agree with dice daniels on the racing seats they are designed for safty not comfort. If you try to or do use the factory power ajusters it may make the seats to tall for the interior of the car and also if you get an unsafe welding job then you will be puting yourself in a unsafe position and anyone with you. Be safe and use the mounting hard ware that they sent you.
with racing seats you only need to move the seats back and forth. And most importantly make sure you bought the seats for your vehicle applacation.
JLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
fordforlife
AF Enthusiast

thats what I meant, I want to make my seats go power forward (toward the front bumper) and reverse (toward the rear bumper). I dont want to go higher or lower. They manually go towards front bumper and towards rear bumper, I was wondering if I could make that part power. Thx!!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
99SilveradoGuy
AF Newbie

chances are you could haev the brackets and power seat controls relocated to the racing seats simple enough, if you need a small bracket made and dont have the resources/tools , try a local technical highschool , they usually do outside jobs for free , or just the cost of the metal.
99SilveradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
fordforlife
AF Enthusiast

thx, i'll check into it. would aluminum work or do i need something stronger?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:11 PM   #11
99SilveradoGuy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: non power to power seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordforlife
thx, i'll check into it. would aluminum work or do i need something stronger?
it seems you want the seats mroe for show/looks so aluminum would work , but the cost difference for a small peice of steel/aluminum isnt much difference so steel would be better, plus if anything needs to be welded , not all shops know how to weld aluminum good.
99SilveradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:19 AM   #12
fordforlife
AF Enthusiast

i was actually thinking more along the lines of weight, i didnt know if steel brackets would weigh a lot more or not. I have a buddy that could weld the aluminum for a case of beer, so that isnt a factor. If the steel doesnt weigh much more, then i'll just do that. I'll be painting them flat black either way.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General